Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

ReputationRep:
    QUESTIONS:
    2 (a): With reference to the source, outline three aspeccts of the Prime Minister's role in relation to ministers and their departments :

A first aspect of the Prime Minster's role within the cabinet is to (as the article states) 'appointing minsters' In fact, the Prime Minister after being mandated by the citizens has the appoints secretary of states and members of cabinet drawn from the Parliament. This is linked to his patronage power.
    An other aspect of the Prime Minster's role within the cabinet is to, as the article states, orchestrate the cabinet committee system. Indeed, as the PM is 'First among equal' he is the one leading the cabinet committee, thus preparing the agenda for this one.
    A third aspect of the Prime Minster's role within the cabinet is to allocate functions to different part of the executive. For instance, the PM gave in 2001 to the secretary of health the task to draw the ban on smoking in pub policy.

(b) With reference to the source and your own knowledge, what impact has coalition government had on the office of Prime Minister?:

On impact of the coalition government on the office of the Prime Minster what that this one was constantly scrutinized by the Deputy Prime Minster, Nick Clergg, over his patronage powers. In fact, as the article states, the PM was obliged to consult and agree with the Deputy PM 'over appointment, reshuffling and asacking of minsiters'. This was a way for the deputy PM to balance and check who the members of the cabinet were and was the result of the coalition government agreement made in 2010. This therefore shows one impact the coalition government had on the PM's office.

An other impact the coalition government had on the office of the government was the fact that all bills proposed and passed by the executive had to be approved by not only the Conservative members but also by the Liberal Democrats. For instance, the Liberal Democrats made sure that other findings were to be secured before the scrapping the the EMA in 2010. This ensured that the government was led by the conservative party but also the liberal who were part of the coalition. This therefore shows how the PM's office was impacted by the coalition government.

A last impact the coalition government had on the office of the government was the PM's prerogative powers. In fact, as the article states all the coalition government impacted upon 'all powers' belonging to the PM. The prerogative powers being one of them, the government had to have the agreement of the coalition government in order to make new treaties with for instance the EU or international countries. This therefore again shows how the power of the PM was impacted by the coalition government.

If anyone can look at it and tell me what they think ?

btw have been able to ''remember'' ill say here what I wrote

ReputationRep:
    Also the:

2(c) was 'To what extent is the PM free from effective political constraints ?

4:To what extent are judges better guardians of rights and civil liberties than Parliament or the executive ?

Talked about
    1- Judicial Review,
    2- HRA
    3- Importance of judges making common law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjftw)
    Do you think I could lose marks on the 40 marker if my essay was unbalanced I did 4 paragraphs saying that there should be further constitutional reform like devolution, restoration of right e.g human rights act, democratisation( House of Lords reform not gone far enough) and modernity( freedom of information act) but I only did 3 counters and left out the counter on modernity due to time but I was able to get in a solid conclusion, so would I lose marks for making it unbalanced
    Don't worry if it's slightly unbalanced, as long as you have your other points that have been countered, adding another point that you haven't balanced out is fine. This might even hint as a conclusion, i.e. as there is no counter for modernity, this illustrates how the for further constitutional reform arguments are stronger. =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ringles)

C - Something about assess how parliament are controlled by the Government? (not allowed committees)
    Small introduction (not very good 3/4 lines about fusion of powers)
    Yes - Patronage and whips and Collective Responsibility - But Parliament sovereign, reject bills
    Yes - if has a big majority - example Tony Blair etc - But if small e.g 2016, cant pass through
    Yes - if has mandate then House of Lords Salisbury Convention etc - but if a coalition then not in place.. and vote of no confidence
    Conclusion - depends on size of majority
    Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

Wait.

Wait.

It was to what extent can Parliament control the government, right? Not to what extent does the government control Parliament?

One of us has made a very silly and very fatal mistake.

Someone please put me out of my misery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx)
    I feel as though I did link it in (I'm always very conscious of trying to answer the question really directly so this really was on my mind) but shoooooot.

Do you have any idea of how my other points might do/if I used enough points? Sorry to pester, it's just that from where I've missed a few months of school I'm very iffy on exam style and content of the courses
    I did exactly the same thing as you but i added devolution so idk but by the looks of it we answered as any proposed reform is relevent and how furthering its favourable so yeah, i dont think we did bad and the question wasnt about codified vs uncodified but merely how the is further constitutional favoured so you could mention how Lib dems and Brown proposed a Codified constitution. Name:  Screenshot_2016-06-09-18-38-17.png
Views: 104
Size:  288.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7fhs99)
    Hey, can someone please reassure me whether or not I have answered the 40 marker on Judiciary correctly. Here are some of things I included-

Judges are good guardians for rights & civil liberties because:
    • Belmarsh 9 case- explained, linked to question.
    •Mental Health Act- explained, linked to question.
    •Abu Qatada- explained, linked to question.
    •Judicial Reviews e.g- Gurkha's soldiers- explained, linked to question.

Judges are not good guardian than Parliament & executive because:
    •A case has to come to court for judges to deal with them.
    •Bank Assets case- where judges asked Parliament to create a law & then they can do what they want.
    •Tom Nicklinson- Judges ruled that Parliament should create a law on this.
    •Independent Living Allowance- judge was unable to stop parliament but had sympathy for those affected.

Conclusion:
    •Talked about why Judges are not good guardian as Parliament is sovereign.

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW MANY MARKS OUT OF 40 I MAY ACHIEVE?? THANK YOU IM ADVANCE!! I HOPE THE EXAM WENT WELL FOR YOU ALL!
    Ours seem similar ( you can see what i have done, slightly above)... Yours looks good and clear- did you refer back to the question? Strong conclusion and also did you talk about the executive being more representative due to gen election etc. Should defo get 30+ depending on your essay structure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)

Wait.

Wait.

It was to what extent can Parliament control the government, right? Not to what extent does the government control Parliament?

Oh God I'm literally dying here, someone please tell me which one it was.

ReputationRep:
    Oh God I'm literally dying here, someone please tell me which one it was.
    Don't worry aha, it was to what extent parl controls govt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Geedorah)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are literally my favourite person in the entire world right now.

Those were the tensest 15 minutes of my entire life.

Here, take all my reps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cato the Elder)
    The exam was pretty easy, but I screwed up one one thing: I rushed and wrote the questions in the wrong sections. I hope I don't fail Government and Politics on a mere technicality like that...will they still mark my work?
    I did that for one of the questions, hopefully it'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luchamb)
    Yeah but could it also be the reforms like devolution and stuff?
    of course! im sure you did great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    Ours seem similar ( you can see what i have done, slightly above)... Yours looks good and clear- did you refer back to the question? Strong conclusion and also did you talk about the executive being more representative due to gen election etc. Should defo get 30+ depending on your essay structure.
    I spoke about most of that too. Hopefully we have at least 34.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKStudent17)
    Most sixth form students (at least in my school) will drop a subject and continue with 3, unless they enjoy the extra pressure and/or get amazing AS results while wanting to continue with 4. Funnily enough, my original plan was to drop Politics because it didn't feel as significant to me as opposed to let's say History. But now, if I'm lucky in the smallest chance, that I get into Year 13 in my school, I'm just going to drop whichever subject I got the lowest grade in (probably Geography).

Probably going to need to consider alternative options. Might go to my school to ask for suggestions... although I'd rather not go to them. Just hate all of it, you know? This summer will be me fretting over what I could've got, where I'll go, what people will think, etc.
    Yeah I get that, it's really stressful, what would even happen if you didn't get into the next year will they literally tell you to go somewhere else? That just seems so mad to me especially when you're starting the course in a couple of weeks tjme

Yeah I know me too, I only do 3 a levels and if I probably don't pass next year no unis will accept me, let's just hope for the best...for both of our sales!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Wait.

Wait.

oh god, I cant remember which way I did it, isn't it just the wording? would I lose the entire essay if I did it the other way around?

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as i made the fatal error of writing an uncodified v codified debate on the constitution 40 marker, is that my essay just scrapped then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashc014)
    Seeing as i made the fatal error of writing an uncodified v codified debate on the constitution 40 marker, is that my essay just scrapped then?
    I'm honestly wondering the same same thing, surely if more than just one person has made the mistake they might at least give us some marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyadtr)
    I'm honestly wondering the same same thing, surely if more than just one person has made the mistake they might at least give us some marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No point talking about it now tbh
    It's done
    Worse case resit the paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    No point talking about it now tbh
    It's done
    Worse case resit the paper
    Yeah I feel you, it's just ages till we find out the result 😕when do we find out in like August?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Geedorah)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wasn't the question assess the means by which Parliament controls the executive?

ReputationRep:
    http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...02_0906_V2.pdf

This mark scheme where the 40 mark constitution question is similar to the question we did yesterday where it's basically asking should more be done. So according to this you could have talked about codification, house of lords etc

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.