Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    refresh...refresh...refresh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    refresh...refresh...refresh
    To add to the excitement, I'm getting on a plane in a few hours where I wont really be in a position to check. But can't be long now....can it?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't count on it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    I wouldn't count on it!
    Just heard from FastStream that the results will not be out until next week for TiB. I don't know if that means they'll also move the 11th June event as that will be pretty short notice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecaper)
    Just heard from FastStream that the results will not be out until next week for TiB. I don't know if that means they'll also move the 11th June event as that will be pretty short notice.

ARGH!! Did they say why??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    ARGH!! Did they say why??
    Sorry, no. I just asked if there was still any hope the results would be out today (this was via email not phone) and she said it was unlikely, that it would probably be next week.

Though if you want some hope to cling to - I think last year the candidates were informed directly before parity updated their progress pages. So you never know, you might get an email late this afternoon, and then Parity will update the candidate web site next week. Won't be checking in here again for a while so good luck all who are still awaiting information, TiB or otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any idea of the number of people they are going to hire for TiB?

I've heard all kinds of numbers from 6 to 25. Anyone have anything more solid?

ReputationRep:
    fyi - looks like I was wrong again with my timelines. At least some results are out as I just got mine - I made it.

I was very near the start of the FSB so I don't know if they are doing them in order or all at once.

ReputationRep:
    YIPEE!! :woo:

I'm in too.

When I asked at FSB how many places they had they said it would depend on the quality of the candidates.

Nb. Quady - no mention of the 11th in the message they've sent!

ReputationRep:
    Woop just found out I got in to TiB as well, very excited! Aylia- there was mention of the 11th in my emails, I think it was sent separately to the one saying you'd got in.

I do have one worry about the Civil Service, and would really appreciate it if current Fast Streamers could offer some sort of comment. It seems fairly likely (particularly if there's an election) that there will be cuts in the Civil Service. How secure are Fast Streamers' jobs? It would obviously be extremely annoying to work only a short amount of time before being made redundant.

Likewise, if there's an election before people start their Fast Stream jobs is it possible that their positions will become non-existent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afrosia)
    Does anyone have any idea of the number of people they are going to hire for TiB?

I've heard all kinds of numbers from 6 to 25. Anyone have anything more solid?
    It depends on how good everyone was really.

6 started in the first year (so thats where that number is from - although where did you hear it?), 7 in the second.

25 is the number of places the cabinet office would like if depts and candidates were perfect about everything but realistically my guess would be 15-17. But I have no idea, just gut feel of how many people I think depts will take on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KEBE)
    Woop just found out I got in to TiB as well, very excited! Aylia- there was mention of the 11th in my emails, I think it was sent separately to the one saying you'd got in.

I do have one worry about the Civil Service, and would really appreciate it if current Fast Streamers could offer some sort of comment. It seems fairly likely (particularly if there's an election) that there will be cuts in the Civil Service. How secure are Fast Streamers' jobs? It would obviously be extremely annoying to work only a short amount of time before being made redundant.

Likewise, if there's an election before people start their Fast Stream jobs is it possible that their positions will become non-existent?
    Civil Service jobs are reasonably safe in any case and of those fast streamers, being tomorrows top talent are very very safe. They spent lots of cash recruiting you so aren't going to dump you.

I don't know how things work when projects and programmes get scrapped, but id imagine it would just mean youd have to find a new placement. There will be upto five positions in DWP - as a fast streamer there you'd have pretty much the highest job security in the country right now.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to everyone who got it w00pw00p!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all in a couple of weeks - if you decide to take it and one of you will probably end up working in my dept

Afrosia, did you get in?

ReputationRep:
    Well, my decision was made for me - didn't make TiB. Congratulations to those who did!

I've been without internet access since before the results came out. It's been maddening; I only found out when I checked at a friend's house. I also then filled out my CD Find a Fit form in about 20 seconds whilst drunk. Not sure how that will work out, but it might be better than sitting around for days agonising about it (especially as it's unclear how much difference it makes).

Now it's merely another month+ to wait to find out where I will be working, and when I'll be starting. Whoop!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much Quady, that was a really reassuring answer.
    Just out of interest, which department do you work for?
    See you on the 11th!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Congratulations to everyone who got it w00pw00p!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all in a couple of weeks - if you decide to take it and one of you will probably end up working in my dept

Afrosia, did you get in?
    Congratulations to everyone who made it! You must be so excited!

Sadly I didn't make it. This whole process has made me very keen on the Civil Service though, so I'm applying for EO level positions and I'll work my way up from there.

Do you have any recommendations for which roles I should be looking for, given that I am keen to get into project management or business analysis type roles - both quite hard to find entry level roles for.

ReputationRep:
    hey, just an update for other DASers waiting for news!...

i sent my forms this morning and have just been sent an email about an opportunity at the DWP, i'm a little disappointed it's the DWP (not because it's a bad department- just because it's not related to anything I was hoping for). so now wondering what to do about it all! but i guess it means things will start coming in for everyone soon :-D

has anyone heard anything from any other depts? maybe DWP are the first ones in there (i heard they were hiring a lot this year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanabie)
    hey, just an update for other DASers waiting for news!...

i sent my forms this morning and have just been sent an email about an opportunity at the DWP, i'm a little disappointed it's the DWP (not because it's a bad department- just because it's not related to anything I was hoping for). so now wondering what to do about it all! but i guess it means things will start coming in for everyone soon :-D

has anyone heard anything from any other depts? maybe DWP are the first ones in there (i heard they were hiring a lot this year)

I also got this information, but I'm not sure how excited to be! I can't tell how positive it is! I'm happy that they want to see me though....

ReputationRep:
    On the DAS front...

I think it's pretty positive...

I got an email from the Fast Stream last week letting me know that the DIUS wanted to meet me, so I asked them exactly what this meant. I was told that it meant that they had a specific job that that had in mind specifically for me and that meeting was just for us both to decide that it was absolutely the right decision. By the sounds of it, as long as you don't display monumental incompetance, disinterest or ignorance about the department when you walk in the door there's a job waiting for us!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieinLondon)
    On the DAS front...

I think it's pretty positive...

I got an email from the Fast Stream last week letting me know that the DIUS wanted to meet me, so I asked them exactly what this meant. I was told that it meant that they had a specific job that that had in mind specifically for me and that meeting was just for us both to decide that it was absolutely the right decision. By the sounds of it, as long as you don't display monumental incompetance, disinterest or ignorance about the department when you walk in the door there's a job waiting for us!!!

good investigative work finding all that out!! it does sounds pretty positive then :-) DIUS sounds like a great dept- do you know what role they have in mind for you?

the DWP message didn't specify a specific one- but mentioned the general roles available- corporate IT, finanace,welfare and pension policy. i'm pretty certain i'm going to turn it down-just hope that i get offered something else so i don't regret it!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.