Music 2010 :) Watch

Indeed.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by clarinetplayer92)
Same, I was quite excited when I got the letter, well when my mum rang me to tell me I had said letter, as I was still away then, but now I'm getting rather worried about what I will take and wear and messing it up completely. It's most probably my favourite so I really don't want to mess it up! And I really hope there aren't aural tests as I really can't do those...

Not too sure yet, probably a couple of essay type things, but we've done all of ours in bullet points so far which could be slightly problematic. Maybe a couple of Bach chorales as well and then my AS comp methinks. But are we meant to take marked work or not?

I hadn't even thought about what to wear, now I'm not sure! :p: Yeah, it's one of my favourites too so I want to get an offer! I read on their website that only 'promising' candidates get an interview, so I've been hoping it'll all go okay and they won't be too harsh :o: Yeah, I don't want to have to do aural tests at an interview with no previous warning!

Well, to be honest the only reason I have these two essays is I needed to send them to Oxford a few weeks ago, we don't do that many essays either. Our college made us do arrangements for AS comp so I don't really want to bring mine.. I'm not sure, they haven't said either way? I'll probably bring unmarked just because it's easier :p:
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It doesn't really matter whether or not it's marked because they'll look at themselves. However, if the marked piece of work has corrections on it then make sure to start afresh and include those corrections. So I guess an unmarked, corrected copy of a marked piece of work is better because you'll have had feedback from the teacher and you'll have added that feedback.

For my interviews I picked my best essays and improved them even more based on what the teacher had said, but for one of them I hardly made any changes at all so I may as well have submitted the original.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Indeed.)
I hadn't even thought about what to wear, now I'm not sure! Yeah, it's one of my favourites too so I want to get an offer! I read on their website that only 'promising' candidates get an interview, so I've been hoping it'll all go okay and they won't be too harsh Yeah, I don't want to have to do aural tests at an interview with no previous warning!

Well, to be honest the only reason I have these two essays is I needed to send them to Oxford a few weeks ago, we don't do that many essays either. Our college made us do arrangements for AS comp so I don't really want to bring mine.. I'm not sure, they haven't said either way? I'll probably bring unmarked just because it's easier
What essays did you send to Oxford, out of interest? :ninja:
nov15111990
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Anyone had Professor Hoyland at their Birmingham uni interview??
Indeed.
Rep:
?
(Original post by RightSaidJames)
It doesn't really matter whether or not it's marked because they'll look at themselves. However, if the marked piece of work has corrections on it then make sure to start afresh and include those corrections. So I guess an unmarked, corrected copy of a marked piece of work is better because you'll have had feedback from the teacher and you'll have added that feedback.

For my interviews I picked my best essays and improved them even more based on what the teacher had said, but for one of them I hardly made any changes at all so I may as well have submitted the original.
Thanks, I think I'll go with unmarked then.

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
What essays did you send to Oxford, out of interest? :ninja:
One about Byrd and how the religious climate affected his work, and one about the use of background music
clarinetplayer92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I hadn't even thought about what to wear, now I'm not sure! :p: Yeah, it's one of my favourites too so I want to get an offer! I read on their website that only 'promising' candidates get an interview, so I've been hoping it'll all go okay and they won't be too harsh :o: Yeah, I don't want to have to do aural tests at an interview with no previous warning!

Well, to be honest the only reason I have these two essays is I needed to send them to Oxford a few weeks ago, we don't do that many essays either. Our college made us do arrangements for AS comp so I don't really want to bring mine.. I'm not sure, they haven't said either way? I'll probably bring unmarked just because it's easier :p:
I have no idea yet either, maybe a smart skirt and a blouse and a cardigan, that looks pretty smart, but avoids the whole black suit/funeral look :p:

I think I'm going to go for unmarked tbh, it's easier and I guess it looks bad if it's got corrections on it. Oh and I also remembered that I'll take my Extended Project essay as well, can't believe I forgot about that after the hours and hours I spent on it! :rolleyes:
canettyclarkef
Report 9 years ago
Hi there,

I have applied to

Oxford (exeter)
Durham
Bristol
Nottingham - ABB
York

Does anyone know when you normally hear from bristol? and what the standard offer is if you get one?

thanx
LdnShmoo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by canettyclarkef)
Hi there,

I have applied to

Oxford (exeter)
Durham
Bristol
Nottingham - ABB
York

Does anyone know when you normally hear from bristol? and what the standard offer is if you get one?

thanx
I think Bristol are another uni who make you wait a long time. A friend of mine applying for music last year didn't find out till february/march time. Not too sure about their standard offer, although if i remember correctly when i went to the open day it was something like AAB. Have a look on the website/in the prospectus?
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I got my Bristol offer much later than any of the others, after having pretty much decided that I wanted to go to Cardiff and Lancaster.
Indeed.
Rep:
?
Finally got a reply from KCL about their entry requirements:

Dear David

Thanks for your enquiry; apologies it has taken so long to respond.

I'm sorry for any confusion you've experienced with entry requirements. The current requirements are AAA at A level including A level Music, and with Grade 8 on your main instrument and at least Grade 5 on piano. The online prospectus is completely up-to-date and details should have been amended on UCAS, so I'm very sorry if you were informed of anything incorrectly.

best wishes

Gemma Kerr
nnnomi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nov15111990)
Anyone had Professor Hoyland at their Birmingham uni interview??
Vic Hoyland is LOVELY, seriously, he's so so nice. He takes composition in first year which is about like really quite modern weird stuff so drop in that you like Stravinsky or Debussy or Varese or Berio and he'll love you
nov15111990
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nnnomi)
Vic Hoyland is LOVELY, seriously, he's so so nice. He takes composition in first year which is about like really quite modern weird stuff so drop in that you like Stravinsky or Debussy or Varese or Berio and he'll love you
Cool, that is good to know thanks. Heard he is retiring though at the end of the academic year though which will be disappointing as i think most people seem to like him!
BenPottsDrums
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey, How's everyone doing?
I havn't been on here in ages.
My college have just deicided to send off my Application!
With big help on my PS from The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm so excited, I can just feel the Track Addiction coming on :P
(It needs capitials because it's obviously a mental illness haah)
clarinetplayer92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

How did it go? Tell me everything :p: :ninja:
Indeed.
Rep:
?
(Original post by clarinetplayer92)
How did it go? Tell me everything :p: :ninja:
It went pretty well
Make sure you sign in when you get there, because it took me about 10 mins to realise I had to (It's in a little room on the right past the hall if you can't find it like me) :p:
Then we just had tours of the department and music areas. Then there was a talk by some guy who was pretty funny about the course Then you go and visit a music techy bit (we had an American playing with the sound of a balloon and a bottle :p: )
And then interviews are later on (you get the time when you sign in though). Mine was with Professor Timms, who was nice, just asked what appealed to me about the department/uni, about Personal Statement/essays, wanted to see if I had any questions etc., so don't worry about the interview
clarinetplayer92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It went pretty well
Make sure you sign in when you get there, because it took me about 10 mins to realise I had to (It's in a little room on the right past the hall if you can't find it like me) :p:
Then we just had tours of the department and music areas. Then there was a talk by some guy who was pretty funny about the course Then you go and visit a music techy bit (we had an American playing with the sound of a balloon and a bottle :p: )
And then interviews are later on (you get the time when you sign in though). Mine was with Professor Timms, who was nice, just asked what appealed to me about the department/uni, about Personal Statement/essays, wanted to see if I had any questions etc., so don't worry about the interview
Good good

Ah ok then, I'll remember that, thanks! Doesn't sound too bad then, phew!

Just a couple of questions though :p: So you didn't have any aural tests? What work did you take in the end? Oh, and what did you wear? :ninja:

Thanks!
Richard N.
Report 9 years ago
WOOT!

Just received an unconditional guaranteed offer from Birmingham Conservatoire for BMus Jazz.

I'll be cracking open the wine tonight :-)
nov15111990
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How did other people find their interview at B'ham uni??
nov15111990
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Richard N.)
WOOT!

Just received an unconditional guaranteed offer from Birmingham Conservatoire for BMus Jazz.

Well done
clarinetplayer92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Richard N.)
WOOT!

Congrats! :woo:

Is that your first choice?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (269)
38.54%
No - but I will (47)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.31%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (331)
47.42%

Watched Threads