Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I went to a state school for y7 - y11, then to another one for sixth form (which was far better than the first one-in fact it often got higher results than some of the local private ones). The difference in the environment, atmosphere and rspect for teachers was very clear, and money wasn't needed to produce these differences, probably just a difference in management from the senior staff.

On the other hand I've got lots of friends who went to private school and some loved it whilst others hated it, the sporty/extra-curricular side looks amazing in most private schools as does the academic too.

But its not always about money is it? Its what a person makes of their school life. I know plenty of people from state schools who got AAAA, but then I can say the same for private schools too.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that when you get to uni/work place its only the minority that judge you based on your class/school status, most people usually grow up and enjoy the experience of meeting new people from all different walks of life.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is not proportional to wealth.

I moved from a state school to a private school for 6th form (could only do this as I got a bursary due to my GCSEs) and I'm still getting the same equivalent of grades that I did at my old state school. I probably would've got the same grades if I stayed at my state school, as well.

There are quite a few people in my year that get bad grades that make me wonder why they were in the 6th form in the first place; it's probably because their parents can afford to keep them there.

Like the poster above me said, I think it's what you make of where you are. To be honest, as long as you enjoy where you are, regardless of the cost, it's worth it in the end.

I know my post isn't really very coherent and maybe I've missed the point of the thread, but just thought I'd input my opinion :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozz2601)
    If you feel you can make a statement like that based on hearsay from other people, then that's up to you, but personally I feel that's ridiculous.
    You have no idea if you'd have enjoyed it or not. I accept maybe the work ethic is too hard for some people, and maybe some people can't take only being mediocre despite having brilliant grades, but it's really hardly different from anywhere else.

The people you've been speaking to must have very odd perceptions, because the people I speak to in other types of school sound like they do everything pretty much similar to how we do, only in better quality buildings.

How else do you explain the pretty hefty chip?
    That is the part I dislike most, so you do understand.

We all have to base the majority of our opinions on what we read and hear - choosing a university for example, you can't visit them all on open days and you definitely can't live and study at them all. Maybe you'll make a mistake and miss something you would have loved, maybe not. We just have to try and be as informed as we can when we decide whether we would or wouldn't like something.
    Cambridge is a wonderful place for example, but it doesn't suit everyone. I don't think I would have been happy there at all (not that I would get in anyway hah). I visited open days, went to talks, talked to as many people as I could... but, not for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    No. But we aren't tested every two days by exams set by a retarded government that thinks the best way of teaching children to learn is by ramming exams down their throats until they **** out algebra and english grammar. Private schools tend to disagree (and rightly so) with this method of teaching, and often don't stick to the exact syllabuses set out by the boards (who are conforming to Ofsted standards of teaching, so they might as well be set by the government) and as a result a wider range of knowledge is given. I'll give you an example. We had a native German at my school last year. A NATIVE German. Do you know what he got is his AS German exam? A C grade. He had to re-sit twice because of the retarded regulations attached to the exam, not because he was bad at German. The school paid for a photocopy of his paper to see what went wrong. His German, of course, was perfect. But where he fell down was in the way he answered the questions.

Plus of course you have the private schools now so sick of stuff like this happening they have their pupls do IB etc instead.
    If you can't learn to jump through hoops to get yourself an easy A, then you're probably just going to fail at life.

ReputationRep:
    I was at private school and got AAB. Damn you chemistry.

We had a few who got AAA and even fewer with AAAA, but most of our year were on BBB or less.

I wouldn't say I'm embarrassed that I didn't get AAAA. I took many of the opportunities that private school gave me, which was sort of the point really.

Just because some people pay for their education doesn't make them superior to other people that don't, and I completely resent people who feel that way.

ReputationRep:
    This thread just made me join TSR... it's actually quite good

Well, I've went to a private school my whole life, so I have no idea what the state school system is like. In our school it's common for people to spread tales about how horrendous state schools are, but I know a few people at a state school, and they seem to be doing fine. However, they are at the best state school in the city, so I still have no actual idea what the average state school is like.

There are people at my school who don't put in enough effort and get bad grades, but they are a minority really. Most people I know try hard to get the best grades they possibly can. I agree that the ones that don't can be a waste of money for their parents, but I doubt their parents would regret putting them through the private system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Okay, this is a continuation of that other thread:

People who go to private schools; aren't you embarrassed to not be getting AAAA?

If my parents were paying £15,000 a year, they'd expect decent grades tbh. How thick do you have to be to fail when you've got so much thrown at you?

I mean honestly, I can't believe how much money it costs (according to you guys anyway).
    I'm only going to post this to shut your pathetic, jealousy motivated thread up.
    I go to a Private school, my parents pay just under £4000 a year, and I ended up with 8 A*'s (all in academic subjects, not **** like IT, Music, Drama etc) and an A in my IGCSE maths - this includes a top 5 score in French, and I'm predicted 4 A's at AS and then 3A*'s at Alevel.
    I am not trying to boast, I'm merely stating that you have a rather one sided, ignorant view on private school students.

Parents paying for eduction does not mean the children will be more willing to learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    I'm only going to post this to shut your pathetic, jealousy motivated thread up.
    I go to a Private school, my parents pay just under £4000 a year, and I ended up with 8 A*'s (all in academic subjects, not **** like IT, Music, Drama etc) and an A in my IGCSE maths - this includes a top 5 score in French, and I'm predicted 4 A's at AS and then 3A*'s at Alevel.
    I am not trying to boast, I'm merely stating that you have a rather one sided, ignorant view on private school students.
    How is telling me your grades an argument to anything?
    No idea... and your arguing skills are pretty weak, ad hominem is baddddd :nn:

ANYWAY, Music is hard at GCSE!!

And really not jealous :fyi:, read the thread properly or **** off.

x

ReputationRep:
    People should make most of the opportunities they get given regardless of their background. Yes, private school kids are at an advantage of having more support and opportunities given to them, but only if they make good use of them. You can get some private school kids getting mediocre grades due to lack of self- motivation (perhaps not ability). There are slackers both in private and states schools. Getting good grades is down to two things: putting the work in and your academic ability. If someone at states schools gets the same number of A*s or grades as someone in private school their achievement should be valued more because they achieved it entirely on their own merit and without some of the opportunities offered to private school kids.

It's been interesting reading this thread and peoples opinions.

ReputationRep:
    I've done the right thing and reported this thread because the OP is just looking to stir up trouble and it is not constructive debate but merely people attacking each other.

ReputationRep:
    Me? Issues about what? :confused:
    Are you serious?

Every post you make screams insecurity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    I've done the right thing and reported this thread because the OP is just looking to stir up trouble and it is not constructive debate but merely people attacking each other.
    :rofl:

You don't think any mods have seen it yet?

God you're lame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robob)
    Are you serious?

Every post you make screams insecurity.

How does this thread scream insecurity? It's a bloody troll thread, I can't believe that wasn't obvious.

I'm insecure about certain things, yeah, but not going to a private school... that's really not on the list of my concerns. :wink2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    OKay but mods have already been in here and let the thread continue as there is actually, between some comments, been good debate:

(Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    Come on now, this was a good thread, granted, the OP was slightly provocative but the thread was still healthy. Cut the abuse (from both parties) and I might give it a chance and keep it on the forum.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by bun)
    Whilst I don't agree with what the OP has said, you've hardly made a convincing argument against her...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    Haha that's so, so funny. I can't stop laughing. Really. There are tears running down my face, I almost fell off my chair I burst out laughing so hard. Because NO-ONE has ever made that joke before. And everyone who goes to private school so obviously comes out as either a lesbian or a gay.
    I did :ninja:

But in all seriousness, I think private schools do help you to realise your full potential.

ReputationRep:
    That's painful!

And tbh, this is a bit trollish. I don't disagree with what I wrote, but I would have put it in a much less insulting way if I really cared about it all.
    Or if, yknow, you were a grown up.

ReputationRep:
    I actually want to know what people think about private schools now, can we quit the rubbish between actual posts relating to the thread? Please? Some people are actually making good points but they're getting lost in the other pointless stuff!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Or if, yknow, you were a grown up.

:puppyeyes: But I'm almost 20!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.