Turn on thread page Beta

OCR Physics A - G484 The Newtonian World watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    How can it have been those boxes?
    It was the first and the third.

I think they were something on the lines of:

Impulse is the same for them. (this one)
    The Ke and Momentum are conserved (not this- KE is not conserved)
    The total energy is conserved. (this one)
    The momentum of each is the same. (not this, as there will be gain/loss of ke for each of them so the momentum of each will be different, even though it is conserved)
    i ticked the first, third and last lol

ReputationRep:
    14 exams done and finish now i can relax and enjoy the world cup with no worries

ReputationRep:
    resonance question and satellite question were god given someone posted a summary on resonance last night which i remembered so well lol i think it is because of the nap i took before the exam

ReputationRep:
    It was an interesting paper, not too hard but not easy. Full of booby traps like last time with converting the units (brake discs question wanted the temp in celcius not kelvin, radius of the orbit was in km etc.).

I wasn't sure about the pressure explanation using the kinetic theory. Was it just a case of using a combination of Newton's laws and the kinetic theory assumptions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    i ticked the first, third and last lol
    I really think its just 1 and 3. It was 2 marks.

If the last box said momentum is conserved then yeah, it would be ticked too.
    But it didn't say that. I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shepstar1)
    It was an interesting paper, not too hard but not easy. Full of booby traps like last time with converting the units (brake discs question wanted the temp in celcius not kelvin, radius of the orbit was in km etc.).

I wasn't sure about the pressure explanation using the kinetic theory. Was it just a case of using a combination of Newton's laws and the kinetic theory assumptions?
    yep newton's second law(conservation of momentum) and kinetic theory(vibration+collision)
    for the temperature i got 5 hundred something which i converted to celsuis 2 hundred and something, but it is most likely wrong
    what i did is KE(j) x mass(kg)/joule kg k-1 cancelled out the js and kgs to leave me with 5 hundred something kelvin

ReputationRep:
    Very easy paper. Hope they are not too annoying with significant figures, or picky with worded answers.

ReputationRep:
    yep newton's second law(conservation of momentum) and kinetic theory(vibration+collision)
    Damn, I didn't mention anything about the vibrations. I said that because the collisions are elastic, the force experienced by the container would be the rate of change of momentum of the particle due to Newton's 2nd and 3rd laws. Pressure = F/A etc. That's my A out of the window.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    I really think its just 1 and 3. It was 2 marks.

If the last box said momentum is conserved then yeah, it would be ticked too.
    But it didn't say that. I think.
    I put the first and the third as well - I thought I was the only one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoddy)
    Quite lucky the derivation of kepler's third law came up, as someone mentioned that might come up, so I learnt that this morning! Didn't notice it wanted the answer in km though What did everyone get? and can we already discuss this exam?
    was it the radius? i left it as m

ReputationRep:
    was it the radius? i left it as m
    I'm pretty sure they wanted in m, I even looked specificity to make sure... I hope.

ReputationRep:
    The radius of the plane's path was 2km not 2m, maybe that was what they were thinking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoddy)
    Anyways unless i've been a moron I got the radius of the geostationary orbit to be 4.23 x 10^7 m , same as in my textbook!
    I got that but I did it to 2 sf :teehee: I left it in metres :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katermerang)
    The radius of the plane's path was 2km not 2m, maybe that was what they were thinking?
    oh thst question the r=2000m

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoddy)
    Anyways unless i've been a moron I got the radius of the geostationary orbit to be 4.23 x 10^7 m , same as in my textbook!

lol i got that

ReputationRep:
    I also got 1 and 3 for the multiple choice. I think I aced that. I dropped one silly mark for forgetting to divide the 564kj by 4. But one mark dropped?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you Violin Girl. The momentum of each is definitely not the same. The total momentum before is the same as the total momentum afterwards, but if two bodies have two different masses, or two different velocities, why would they have the same momentum?

So 1 and 3
    Great Paper though.

ReputationRep:
    I did show my working =]. I hope the grade boundaries won't screw me over for losing one mark. I was hoping for A* in Physics, but I'm unsure about G485 lol. Might be 85%, so its gonna be close.

Ah well, summer!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarity Incognito)
    sorry bubs, that's what it said

also, just because the multiple choice was 2 marks, doesn't mean you only have to tick two, common misconception.
    It didn't say momentum was conserved, it said " the momentum of each of the particles is the same" this dose not occur in inelastic collisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoddy)
    I thought it was in m, hope so but this post scared me unless I've misunderstood
    Sorry, I didn't mean it wanted it in km. There was a question where you had to convert kilometers into meters to get the correct answer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 26, 2011

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.