killfestab
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Phalange)
D
All others are non-polar.
If you put an electrostatically charged rod or substance near a jet of water or a polar liquid, the liquid moves towards the rod (or away) but it's not important the direction just that it will move

Edit: Think of it like magnets... XD

On a side note..........
Which methods do people have to make haloalkanes? ( WIll use the shortest carbon chain to save time xD)
I have these:

CHLORO ALKANES
1) Add PCl5
CH3OH + PCl5 ---> CH3Cl + POCl3 + HCl

2) Add HCl to a TERTIARY alcohol (normal rxn)

3) Add PCl3
3CH3OH + PCl3 ----> 3CH3Cl + H3PO3

BROMO/IODO ALKANES:
1) Add damp red phosprous to the halogen (e.g. Br2), then add alcohol
2P + 3Br2 ----> 2PBr3 *see how we have PBr3 like PCl3 before??
CH3OH + PBr3 ---> CH3Br + H3PO3

2) Add phosphoric (V) acid to metal halide then add alcohol
3NaBr + H3PO4 ---> Na3PO4 + 3HBr
CH3OH + HBr ----> CH3Br + H2O

Ok here is where I am confused. My CGP book says NOT to use sulphuric acid for bromo/iodo but phosphoric because:
We do not use H2SO4 beacuse HBr/HI are oxidised by it so you end up with a range of products .e.g Br2 and so a reduced yield of the desired haloalkane
BUT my text book ("endorsed by edexcel") says you can but only 50% for a bromoalkane

1) Add 50% H2SO4 + NaBr, then add an alcohol
NaBr + H2SO4 ---> NaHSO4 + HBr
CH3OH + HBr ----> CH3Br + H2O

Any insight??
just adding to your list of making chloroalkanes....

another very useful method is the use of SOCl2

The advantage with SOCl2 is that all the products are gaseous except your halogenoalkane - and so separation is easy

and answering your question about the preparation of Iodoalkanes and Bromoalkanes

The best method in my opinion is the Red Phosphorus Reflux with Bromine/Iodine and Alcohol..

However, The Phosphoric Acid method is also good and is better than the sulfuric acid method, because sulfuric acid is an extremely good oxidising agent... but then agen, phosphoric acid isnt the easiest acid to find off the shelf...and the lab method would prolly find it easier to use 50% sulfuric acid... using 50% tries to minimize the oxidation of Bromide to Bromine
jpm
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
nope since wen thts polar??!!!
jonathan3909
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
But the book says its polar??
jonathan3909
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why is the B.P. of water greater than ammonia and hydrogen fluoride?
Phalange
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jonathan3909)
Cyclohexene is not polar:confused: !!!!
Cyclohexanol is slightly polar due to OH group??
jpm
Report 8 years ago
dare more h bonds per water molecule den ammonia n HF
pervy_sage
Report 8 years ago
it has more hydrogen bonds i guess
jpm
Report 8 years ago
ya i think its polar due 2 da polar grp-OH
Phalange
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by killfestab)
just adding to your list of making chloroalkanes....

another very useful method is the use of SOCl2

The advantage with SOCl2 is that all the products are gaseous except your halogenoalkane - and so separation is easy

and answering your question about the preparation of Iodoalkanes and Bromoalkanes

The best method in my opinion is the Red Phosphorus Reflux with Bromine/Iodine and Alcohol..

However, The Phosphoric Acid method is also good and is better than the sulfuric acid method, because sulfuric acid is an extremely good oxidising agent... but then agen, phosphoric acid isnt the easiest acid to find off the shelf...and the lab method would prolly find it easier to use 50% sulfuric acid... using 50% tries to minimize the oxidation of Bromide to Bromine
Thanks much clearer than my teachers
Whats SOCl2 reaction??
killfestab
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
CH3CH2OH + SOCl2 --> CH3CH2Cl + HCl (g) + SO2(g)
SkyNinja
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SK-mar)
how do you know there will be an acid-base titration question?? pluss could you expand on that chlorine bleach thing pleaseee.. cheers
Theres always an acid base calculation as acid base calculations is on its own topic, if you look at the past 3 exam papers they all have it

Heres a question on the chlorine bleach that could come up.
10.00cm3 of a sample of bleach was diluted into a 250cm3 with water. 25.0cm3 of this solution was pipetted into a flask. An excess of aqueous potassium iodide was then added to liberate iodine:

Its just a normal calcualtion like that its gonna take too long to type everything up lol hope that helps if you still want more ill trype it up..
jonathan3909
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by pervy_sage)
it has more hydrogen bonds i guess
but in HF, F is more electronegative than oxygen so stonger hydrogen bond but still:confused: :confused:
jonathan3909
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cyclohexanol is slightly polar due to OH group??
So what is the answer to the MCQ??
Phalange
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dimi3)
hi guys, umm quick question. do we have rates of reactions for unit 2? as in like calculations fr that stuff...?
Uhhh I don't think so.. no calcs for rates.. like gradient of curse
Altho you need to know what speeds up the rate e.g. temp and equilibra, thats about it
Phalange
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jonathan3909)
So what is the answer to the MCQ??
Q Polar liquids are affected by electric fields. For which of the following liquids would a jet
of the liquid be affected by an electric field?
A hexane
B cyclohexane
C cyclohexene
D cyclohexanol

D will be affected! As it is slightly polar due the OH bond... all the others are not
killfestab
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
can anyone else do QUESTION 4 on the iodine/thiosulfate titration in the EDEXCEL AS CHEMISTRY page 253, and tell me what answer they get ?
jonathan3909
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Q Polar liquids are affected by electric fields. For which of the following liquids would a jet
of the liquid be affected by an electric field?
A hexane
B cyclohexane
C cyclohexene
D cyclohexanol

D will be affected! As it is slightly polar due the OH bond... all the others are not
But cyclohexene is polar-Its written in the edexcel book:confused:
jonathan3909
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wait-Let 'me solve it!
SK-mar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SkyNinja)
Theres always an acid base calculation as acid base calculations is on its own topic, if you look at the past 3 exam papers they all have it

Heres a question on the chlorine bleach that could come up.
10.00cm3 of a sample of bleach was diluted into a 250cm3 with water. 25.0cm3 of this solution was pipetted into a flask. An excess of aqueous potassium iodide was then added to liberate iodine:

Its just a normal calcualtion like that its gonna take too long to type everything up lol hope that helps if you still want more ill trype it up..
ok sorry to nit pick at that titration but how are we supposed to find out moles of anything in that as we only have volumes given to us?? can you please give me an example of a question for this titration and answer it..
killfestab
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cyclohexene is not polar, C and H have similar electronegativities and thus centres of positive and negative charge must cancel. Edexcel must have made a typo
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1099)
79.12%
Leave (290)
20.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise