Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Welsh students who go to welsh universities wont have fees increased Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)

It all depends on preference but Aber is a good university and has a good reputation with employers. Well it has with the two IT firms i've worked with. They encouraged me to go there and that's is why I am in 2011 hopefully.
    How does not liking Wales make me a nationalist? I have nothing against the Welsh people, I just don't like the place...

Living on the coast - Doesn't interest me, nor does your subjective opinion of how lovely it is.

Not many places do my course...nothing to do with me being a supposed nationalist. I was willing to consider Stirling and Belfast universities, I just don't like Wales, it bores me.

Not everyone likes the rural/country life, you know. It's all subjective. Someone may like Wales, may like the countryside etc etc. I don't. That doesn't make me a nationalist, as I have nothing against the Welsh people. I just wouldn't want to live there.

Look, good for you, good for the employers links etc etc. I hope you get an offer and meet it. I'm just saying, Wales isn't the place for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    How does not liking Wales make me a nationalist? I have nothing against the Welsh people, I just don't like the place...

Living on the coast - Doesn't interest me, nor does your subjective opinion of how lovely it is.

Not many places do my course...nothing to do with me being a supposed nationalist. I was willing to consider Stirling and Belfast universities, I just don't like Wales, it bores me.

Not everyone likes the rural/country life, you know. It's all subjective. Someone may like Wales, may like the countryside etc etc. I don't. That doesn't make me a nationalist, as I have nothing against the Welsh people. I just wouldn't want to live there.

Look, good for you, good for the employers links etc etc. I hope you get an offer and meet it. I'm just saying, Wales isn't the place for me.
    Fair enough Chill out. I was only joking around with you.

I can tell you lick batteries now because you just had acidic reaction

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough Chill out. I was only joking around with you.

I can tell you lick batteries now because you just had acidic reaction
    I has bicarbonate of soda.

ReputationRep:
    If the Welsh and Scottish MP's were not allowed to vote on English only matters, we'd not have fees in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like Wales.

I don't want to live on the coast.

Aber doesn't do the course I want.

There are other coastal universities for beach parties, the unbeatable atmosphere is subjective, the room over looking the sea and snowdonia sounds impressive but it's really not my bag. I'm sure someone would rather wake up in inner-city London...

As for the academia, Aber is an okay university, it's really good for some subjects, I'm sure. Most unis have a speciality.

Best location in Britain? I doubt it, but again that's subjective. I'm glad you enjoy Aberystwyth, but I'm not keen.
    You dont like Wales!? How can you make such a sweeping statement about a country? What exactly about Wales dont you like?

If you dont like the countryside that is fair enough, but for people who do, Aber really is the best. I cant think of many other coastal uni's apart from Bangor. OK Cardiff and Swansea are by the sea, but they are cities and the campus's are not actually on the beach...I mean my flat first year was literally on the beach! I'm sure there are a couple of uni cities in England that are by the Sea, but none of them could approach Aber for beauty.

plus there are more pubs per square mile than anywhere else in Britain...surely that counts for somthing!?

ReputationRep:
    No offence to anyone here, but the Welsh, as a race, are just parasites. They leech money from the important parts of the UK, then have the nerve to piss and moan about signs not being printed in their silly little unnecessary language, and have the audacity to waste a load of our money on teaching Welsh to children. Now they want to be spared from the cuts? They can f*ck off as far as I'm concerned, the sooner they get their independence, the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulletproof!)
    No offence to anyone here, but the Welsh, as a race, are just parasites. They leech money from the important parts of the UK, then have the nerve to piss and moan about signs not being printed in their silly little unnecessary language, and have the audacity to waste a load of our money on teaching Welsh to children. Now they want to be spared from the cuts? They can f*ck off as far as I'm concerned, the sooner they get their independence, the better.
    Let's hope we implement border control to keep you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elenathion)
    Let's hope we implement border control to keep you out.
    There's no need, I assure you!

ReputationRep:
    Not really happy.

Do you know how much of a knob I'll feel paying £3290 per year for a computer science degree when someone English sat next to me has to pay £6000+ depending on what they are set at - for the same degree.

I'll get a debt of about £10,000 in tuition fees whilst they get a debt of around £20,000 - 25,000 for the same course. Its a bit unfair I think.

I honestly hope and pray all the English students go crazy now and demand they scrap the fee increase.

Can you imagine going into a shop and an English person pays £150 for an iPod and then you try and buy the same one and the guy behind the counter asks if you're English or Welsh, you tell him you're Welsh and he says its going to cost you £600 because of your nationality.
    As someone paying well over 12g a year for the same degree that everyone in my class pays between 1800 and 3290, I can tell you it doesn't feel good.

ReputationRep:
    This is not new. Welsh students have had better financial circumstances surrounding University funding for a number of years now.

It's also cheaper in general to stay in Wales so less of students money is tied up on accommodation and living expenses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by williamjaba)
    You dont like Wales!? How can you make such a sweeping statement about a country? What exactly about Wales dont you like?

If you dont like the countryside that is fair enough, but for people who do, Aber really is the best. I cant think of many other coastal uni's apart from Bangor. OK Cardiff and Swansea are by the sea, but they are cities and the campus's are not actually on the beach...I mean my flat first year was literally on the beach! I'm sure there are a couple of uni cities in England that are by the Sea, but none of them could approach Aber for beauty.

plus there are more pubs per square mile than anywhere else in Britain...surely that counts for somthing!?
    In my opinion, Wales is boring and wet. I don't like the accent, I don't like the weather. It's a boring place for boring people. Rhod Gilbert is your best export in the last 50 years.

I wouldn't choose a university based on how it looks, or how the location looks. For me, the academic prowess of the institution outweighs the appearance. Fair enough if you like Aber but I'd be unhappy in Wales. Aber is too isolated.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, the Welsh would not be 'leeching' off the English, if the English hadn't conquered the Welsh in the first place! Wales has been abused by England for centuries, so i dont really think the English can complain now the tables have turned. (I say this as an English person).

Secondly, you call Welsh a 'silly little unnecessary language'. It is the second oldest language in Europe, spoken by most people in Mid and North Wales. Why would you want to see that dissapear? Its easy for someone who hasn't lived in Wales to not understand the importance of Welsh to the people of Wales - it is a lot of people's first language, and many childrens only language!

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, Wales is boring and wet. I don't like the accent, I don't like the weather. It's a boring place for boring people. Rhod Gilbert is your best export in the last 50 years.

I wouldn't choose a university based on how it looks, or how the location looks. For me, the academic prowess of the institution outweighs the appearance. Fair enough if you like Aber but I'd be unhappy in Wales. Aber is too isolated.
    Wales is no different to England in most ways! It has some big cities, some countryide, what is there in England that isn't in Wales? Its no more wet the Northern England

ReputationRep:
    because of course you can judge an entire country just like that :rolleyes:

(Original post by solusoracle)
    This is not new. Welsh students have had better financial circumstances surrounding University funding for a number of years now.

It's also cheaper in general to stay in Wales so less of students money is tied up on accommodation and living expenses.
    1 - this year they havn't.
    2 - depends where you are living. The cost of living in Cardiff is comparable to other cities in England.

I know I shouldn't, but I will bite anyway.

1 - If you actually look into it, most of the uk are "parasites". Most parts of the UK get more money from government that what they pay in tax. In reality, its only the south east of england that this doesn't apply to.

2 - it is our language. It is our money. It is upto use if we want to fund out language with our money.

3 - we do not want to be "spared" from the cuts. We want it to be fair. Wales WILL bit hit harder than other parts of the UK with these cuts. That is a fact. So why shouldn't the Welsh Assembly decide to prioritise something as important as education?

ReputationRep:
    So we're definitely a race? No problem in me calling you out as a racist then.

But seriously, if we're parasites because we get more money per capita than others in the UK, then we're not alone. On that basis, Scots, Northern Irish, Jordeys, and Londoners are all parasites too. Hell, why don't we go and call any recipient of public money, even if they don't receive it directly, a parasite. Great way to make a few friends. Check the figures yourself if you like. Chapter 9, table 9.2 is the one you want. Every year since 2004, London has received more public funds per capita than Wales despite being one of the richest parts of the UK. It even received more than Scotland did last year, despite Scotland always being THE example of unfairness whenever the issue of the Barnett Formula comes up on the news. Perhaps you want to call all Londoners "parasites", too? Get your facts straight before ranting such a load of absolute rubbish.

Your assertation that we're trying to escape the cuts is a load of *******s, too, and any idiot could tell that. The Assembly's budget is being cut more than that of any other devolved authority - by 7.7%, as opposed to Scotland's 6.9%. Its up to the Assembly where the cuts fall within its budget. They've chosen to protect students. Fine. That just means that the cuts which will inevitably fall will fall somewhere else within Wales. The Assembly hasn't ring-fenced Health, for instance. The Westminster Government has.

As for your "points", if they can be called that, on the Welsh Language, they don't even deserve to be answered. If you have no interest in preserving your nation's heritage and culture, then that's fine. I'm just relieved that the Assembly Government's priorities are different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by williamjaba)
    Firstly, the Welsh would not be 'leeching' off the English, if the English hadn't conquered the Welsh in the first place! Wales has been abused by England for centuries, so i dont really think the English can complain now the tables have turned. (I say this as an English person).
    England only conquered Wales because Gruffydd ap Llywelyn kept attacking English settlements. We never wanted it, and I certainly don't want it now.

Secondly, you call Welsh a 'silly little unnecessary language'. It is the second oldest language in Europe, spoken by most people in Mid and North Wales. Why would you want to see that dissapear? Its easy for someone who hasn't lived in Wales to not understand the importance of Welsh to the people of Wales - it is a lot of people's first language, and many childrens only language!
    I want to see it disappear because it's a waste of time. It shouldn't be there children's only language, because they should learn English. If they learn English they can communicate with half the world (including all of Wales), if they learn Welsh they can communicate with a small colony in Argentina and some of Wales.

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    I know I shouldn't, but I will bite anyway.

1 - If you actually look into it, most of the uk are "parasites". Most parts of the UK get more money from government that what they pay in tax. In reality, its only the south east of england that this doesn't apply to.
    Glad you agree that the Welsh are parasites. Most areas of the UK don't have large movements that they hate the government, and want to rule themselves independently while still taking all that money. There is no group of people in the UK, probably even in Europe as ungrateful as the Welsh

2 - it is our language. It is our money. It is upto use if we want to fund out language with our money.
    It's a pointless language, and you should be giving that money back to the Treasury. But no, God forbid that Wales could actually make a contribution to the UK.

3 - we do not want to be "spared" from the cuts. We want it to be fair. Wales WILL bit hit harder than other parts of the UK with these cuts. That is a fact. So why shouldn't the Welsh Assembly decide to prioritise something as important as education?
    That's a fact is it? Show me your evidence.

To be honest, I hope it is a fact, the Welsh deserve to be hit harder, after the nonsense they tried to pull in the coalition negotiations. Trying to form an alliance with Labour and the Liberal Democrats on the condition that they would be spared from the cuts and England would have to suffer them.

ReputationRep:

Yes because Katherine Jenkins, Tom Jones, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Gavin Henson, Craig Bellamy, Ryan Giggs, Aaron Ramsey, Gareth Bale do not exist

:facepalm:

Giggs = Welsh = Most successful player ever in the English Premiership

Bale = Welsh = Dominated the best right back in Europe and is performing on the World Stage

Also, Wales is not cold at all. In Cardiff we have better weather than those in the Midlands and Yorkshire due to us being more south. I suggest you look at the forecast for the whole of Wales more often.

Aber does have a lot of rain but its in a coastal area. What do you expect?

For me, I choose the university based on

• Academic reputation
    • Things to do - can I enjoy myself when I want and wind down and relax when I want

Aber also has a huge mix of different people - Aber wins

ReputationRep:
    Glad you agree that the Welsh are parasites. Most areas of the UK don't have large movements that they hate the government, and want to rule themselves independently while still taking all that money. There is no group of people in the UK, probably even in Europe as ungrateful as the Welsh

It's a pointless language, and you should be giving that money back to the Treasury. But no, God forbid that Wales could actually make a contribution to the UK.

To be honest, I hope it is a fact, the Welsh deserve to be hit harder, after the nonsense they tried to pull in the coalition negotiations. Trying to form an alliance with Labour and the Liberal Democrats on the condition that they would be spared from the cuts and England would have to suffer them.
    I can't be bothered to reply to your crap.
    But I will just make one observation.
    You seem to be confusing the Welsh people with the Plaid Cymru political party. You also seem to think that every Welsh person wants independance. I'm surprised I have to specifically say those assumptions are wrong.

Also, Wales make a contribution to the uk? So I suppose you are ignoring all the welsh coal that was used in British industry and the welsh coal that was specifically chosen to power the British Navy?

ReputationRep:
    England only conquered Wales because Gruffydd ap Llywelyn kept attacking English settlements. We never wanted it, and I certainly don't want it now.
    Gruffydd ap Llywelyn was killed before William the Conqueror took over England, before the Anglo-Norman conquest of Wales even began. I hardly think his forays into the Earldom of Mercia would have been much on the minds of the Norman Aristocracy of England when he wasn't even alive at the time.

I want to see it disappear because it's a waste of time. It shouldn't be there children's only language, because they should learn English. If they learn English they can communicate with half the world (including all of Wales), if they learn Welsh they can communicate with a small colony in Argentina and some of Wales.
    There isn't a single Welsh monoglot in the whole of Wales. Some can speak Welsh better than they can English, but everyone can speak English. Again, get your facts right before posting; it'd save us a lot of trouble. Welsh is an additional skill, one that is very valuable if you're searching for work in Wales.

Polls of those in Wales have had support for independence hovering at 10-15%, significantly less than in Scotland, and significantly less than the proportion of those in NI who favour reunification. Besides, I'm not sure what we have to be grateful for. Wales is one of the poorest regions in the UK, it doesn't have a single mile of electrified track in the whole country (and shares that honour with only Albania and Moldova in Europe), and has had its industry decimated at the hands of an unfriendly Westminster government. Thanks very much.

Come search for work in Wales. See the number of employers who would prefer someone with the ability to speak Welsh. Tell me again its pointless.

Already told you in my previous post that Wales will be hit harder than any other devolved nation in the UK.

You also seem to be confusing "Wales" with "Plaid Cymru" here, and even then, you're wrong, because it wasn't on the condition that Wales would escape the cuts. It was on the condition that the Barnett Formula be changed from an arbitrary instrument that doles out money on the basis of population to one that doles out money based on need. Wales would, for instance, get £300m more per year were it analysed by the treasury as a region of England.

Please reply again. I'm finding your overtly racist ramblings quite amusing.

ReputationRep:
    What a disgusting attitude to minority languages you have.

I can say with some confidence that the majority don't want Welsh independence. And if the Welsh aren't too grateful to the English, it's not difficult to think of reasons why. e.g. Tryweryn.

Your posts have a rather unpleasant racist slant to them that I don't like, I'm sorry to say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.