Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are police allowed to punch you in the face? Watch

ReputationRep:
    And no body needs legal training to realise that if the OP is telling the exact truth, then that copper should be investigated (punching an innocent person in the face).
    If being the operative word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obins)
    No its not.

Quote me the law that says its illegal.
    As I said, its going through the courts as it is. If it was such a black and white case, then it would have been thrown out already.
    The reason why its not illegal per say is because it isn't written in law. We'll see what the courts say about it.

(Original post by obins)
    If being the operative word.
    Agreed. But as we can only hear one side of the story, and considering what I have seen police do in the past, I have no reason to doubt it.
    In any case, this is a forum. If you are going to question what the OP is saying here, you may aswell question every single thread on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    As I said, its going through the courts as it is. If it was such a black and white case, then it would have been thrown out already.
    The reason why its not illegal per say is because it isn't written in law. We'll see what the courts say about it.

Agreed. But as we can only hear one side of the story, and considering what I have seen police do in the past, I have no reason to doubt it.
    In any case, this is a forum. If you are going to question what the OP is saying here, you may aswell question every single thread on TSR.
    Well in that case I saw you throw a brick at a police officer at one of the protests and I also saw you push a firework into a police horse.

I mean people have only heard one side of the story but considering what we've seen the protesters doing in the past they have no reason to doubt it.

As I said, its going through the courts as it is.
    Does that make it illegal? One word yes or no answer only. Any more than one word and you conceed that it is not illegal as you cannot simply say 'Yes'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obins)
    Does that make it illegal? One word yes or no answer only. Any more than one word and you conceed that it is not illegal as you cannot simply say 'Yes'.
    Not yet. Doesn't make it right though. Its not illegal for people to bully people, doesn't make it right.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Not yet. Doesn't make it right though. Its not illegal for people to bully people, doesn't make it right.
    Actually it is illegal to bully people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Actually it is illegal to bully people
    Then why aren't half of all schools being arrested??
    If that is the case though, bad example. But the point still stands. Just because something is illegal does not mean it is morally right.

ReputationRep:
    Its a disgrace.

its all over BBC news and you could see many officers dragging protesters over walls, punching them, pushing them with force, for no apparent reason.

Obviously if you kettle a crowd then a force is going to be put upon the officers as people will get crushed otherwise.

God damn the police are stupid.

If I got punched I would be pressing charges against them because a lot of them went over the top on 6th formers, school children with no reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toofaforu)
    i'd love to go to the protests and no do anything but laugh at the popo for how **** their job is, how badly paid they are, and how pathetic their lives are. it would give me great satisfaction to see their faces.
    Really! The police are tax payers too, why should they pay for people like you to go to college. It is people like you who are the first to scream about your rights without taking any responsibility. If a member of your family or a friend was a victim of crime, would you call the police? You seem to think that people who risk their lives to protect us should be treated in the way you describe. I hope you are never in a situation where you need police help because you simply do not deserve it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Then why aren't half of all schools being arrested??
    If that is the case though, bad example. But the point still stands. Just because something is illegal does not mean it is morally right.
    Well of course not. But when you go into a discussion on morals the problem you come across is that they are subjective and what makes your morality better than mine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Well of course not. But when you go into a discussion on morals the problem you come across is that they are subjective and what makes your morality better than mine?
    I see what you are saying, but when you have 16 year old kids there, is keeping them there in the freezing cold, with no food, no water and no toilets really the best idea?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I see what you are saying, but when you have 16 year old kids there, is keeping them there in the freezing cold, with no food, no water and no toilets really the best idea?
    No its not. But what are you supposed to do when mixed in with those kids are fairly large groups of people still fired up looking for a fight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    No its not. But what are you supposed to do when mixed in with those kids are fairly large groups of people still fired up looking for a fight
    Disperse them? Use public order laws to get everyone to leave the place?
    Its essentially what the Met resorted to yesterday. They arrested people, carted them off away from the area, and then de-arrested them.

ReputationRep:
    I refer you back to what I said people should google then.
    The right to protest (without being punched in the face by a copper) is important in a democratic society. Those saying people protesting should be "punched in the face" because they disagree with the issue are no batter than Hitler.

Slightly on a different note - I wonder why no news outlets are report about the protestor who got run over by a cop car / van yesterday.
    People should not be punched in the face for no reason, we don't really know why this happened, or indeed if it did happen. As for comparing our police to Hitler, we are hardly being frogmarched into death camps and gassed, it's pretty silly to compare this to the holocaust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obins)
    No its not.

Quote me the law that says its illegal.
    False imprisionment, illegal to deny people access to food, water and toilets etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Some people just have very punchable faces so it's okay sometimes. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    False imprisionment, illegal to deny people access to food, water and toilets etc etc.
    :hahaha:

First of all none of that is related to kettling as a tactic.

Second there was no 'false imprisonment' people were being detained while the police investigated who had comitted offences. If you just let everyone leave willy nilly not only would it cause a massive problem on public transport due to the sudden influx of people it would also allow those who commited crimes to escape.

The police were handing out water and frankly if you can't hold on for a couple of hours to go to the toilet you have much bigger problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    No
    Thanks for clarification.

ReputationRep:
    ooo i'm looking forward to joining the police in 2 years time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondshavemorefun)
    Really! The police are tax payers too, why should they pay for people like you to go to college. It is people like you who are the first to scream about your rights without taking any responsibility. If a member of your family or a friend was a victim of crime, would you call the police? You seem to think that people who risk their lives to protect us should be treated in the way you describe. I hope you are never in a situation where you need police help because you simply do not deserve it.
    implying i didnt go to a private school LOL

and the majority of police officers do not 'put their life on the line' to protect us. your username says it all.

(Original post by obins)
    I wonder if you would be able to say the same if there were no police officers.
    i think the effective security measures where i live have more to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toofaforu)
    implying i didnt go to a private school LOL

and the majority of police officers do not 'put their life on the line' to protect us. your username says it all.

i think the effective security measures where i live have more to do with it.
    You think if there was no police, no prison, no justice system and no government security system you'd be ok?

Have you seen what its like to live in places like Somalia? Every single criminal in the country would be free to act with no fear of any punishment. You'd be raped, robbed and murdered in days or hours.

Well you're wrong frankly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.