Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is one act of kindness that you recieved from a stranger? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could add something nice to this thread but the only thing strangers have ever given me is abuse, I can't think of one incident where someones done something kind for me.

ReputationRep:
    I have a couple...

When I was in Spain with my best friend and her mum we had a flat tyre on the rental car, so a complete stranger stopped and helped us change it, as well as giving us a number to a local company who'd repair the broken one free of charge because the guy who ran it was his brother. He also helped us explain to the car rental people what had happened as we didn't speak Spanish and was just one of those genuinely nice guys.

A few years later I was in Spain again, this time with just a couple of friends, and we'd all split off to go to different water parks and decide which was best so we could spend a few days there. I got to the top of a ride and freaked out because I hadn't realised how high it was, but there was a man behind me who calmed me down and went back down the stairs with me, as well as buying me a bottle of water afterwards. Lovely American tourist!

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, people standing up for me on trains when I'm carrying loads of stuff. Something similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nazirard)
    Thats nice to hear. I hate it when old white (no racism intended) people think they can be racist and get away with it because they're old.

Spoiler:
    Show
    should have thrown brick at him..................too far?
    Haha a bit too far Racists don't bother me anymore but it was quite nice of strangers to stand up for me when they could have easily just ignored it

ReputationRep:
    It was pouring with rain and I was walking home from school whilst carrying my Art book and this guy pulled over and gave me his umbrella <3 I'm gonna pass on the act and give the umbrella to someone else when it's raining

ReputationRep:
    I was getting on the bus and an old woman in front of me said, "There's a pound down there but I can't reach it" and indicated under the bus. I picked up and reached towards her but she waved me away. I said, "I thought it was yours?" She said, "No, it's yours," and smiled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skyhigh!)
    Haha a bit too far Racists don't bother me anymore but it was quite nice of strangers to stand up for me when they could have easily just ignored it
    Yeah racists don't really bother me as well.

It's just I hate it when people think they attack me (what ever the reason) and expect me to lie down and take it. Especially in the "white man world" where some white people think they can throw arguments about race or religion knowing there's nothing a person can really say back. "You stupid atheist" doesn't really have a powerful impact does it. Verbal racism has more of an effect on non-whites than whites (not that I'm condoning racism to whites) if you think about it. But it's nice to see times have changed and western society is becoming more multicultural. Hopefully one day the whole world can become more tolerant i.e. no more Robert Mugabis or Nick Griffins or Kim Jong-ils but that's in a dream world.

Don't get me wrong I love subtle racism from white old people. I just hate it when people use race to exclude a person and derogative them which of course not all white people do. Oh and I also hate it when other races emphasises that some ones white e.g "Beat his white ass" and yet society accepts that. That's just as racist as saying "Paki" or the N word.

So to sum up. You should have thrown a brick at him.

ReputationRep:
    Left my iPhone at the KFC counter once, and someone ran up to me and returned it to me.

Similarly dropped my wallet... and someone returned it to me.

ReputationRep:
    Well it isn't anything like they saved my life, but I helped an old lady on broken mobility scooter once when I was at work, and she came back a few hours later with a bunch of flowers for me, which I thought was so nice!

ReputationRep:
    When I was was absolutely blind drunk, in a park during a music festival of sorts. I lost my phone and being so out of it, could not for the life of me remember where or when I last saw it. Some guy I'd never seen in my life came up to me and just said 'Here's your phone'. I still don't know who it was or how they knew it was my phone.

ReputationRep:
    I was in the sea on holiday somewhere, I had a rubber floating ring but i'd gone too far out and the current of the waves was too strong for me to swim against aged like 7 so I was gradually going further and further out to sea and getting scared, and then this lovely couple asked me if I was ok and pulled me back into shore.

ReputationRep:
    it wasn't a life-threatening situation or anything, but when i was young i was sitting away from my family on a plane and my ears got really sore, enough to make me cry. the lady sitting next to me gave me some starbursts and comforted me until i was feeling better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_smile)
    Quite a few kind things people have done for me.

Last night my car was stuck in the snow and a cab driver helped get me out and back on the road Very lovely and friendly man.

This one probably means the most to me though - my dog got attacked in the park by a dog whos thuggish owner didn't think it necessary to have a fighting dog on a leash... and this dog just ripped my dog to shreds.
    It was the most horrifying moment of my life and the man just walked off and left me covered in blood and my dog pretty much dying on the pavement. NO-ONE in the park came over to help me until I had picked up my dog and started walking out the park... and this ex soldier who was in a wheel chair saw me and came to help me.
    He calmed me down, called an emergency vet and helped stop the bleeding. Also, because he lived in the area, he kept me informed when he saw this man with his dog and helped the police track him down.
    Amazingly kind and brave man
    And my dog recovered and is alive and well at the grand old age of 16.
    I'm actually :cry:

I'm such a girl :sad:

Edit: It's also kind of cruel you led us to believe your dog died until the very last sentence :P

Read all of the thread now. I love people :love: this is amazing too :

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    At the start of my third year I e-mailed a welfare tutor out of sheer desperation, saying I needed help and could I see her. I knew of her and she'd seen me around but we were strangers at that point, coz we'd never spoken or been in a situation where we had had to interact with one another before. First impressions and getting people to like me are two things I get hugely neurotic about, so this was the first (and probably last) time where I had to walk up to someone and introduce myself going "hi, I'm TLG. I'm [insert not-so-nice things here] and need to rant".

I don't really remember what I thought after that first meeting. Probably that she'd be a good person to go and whinge to a few times a term and a useful ally. She probably thought she'd hear from me once every few weeks or something, going "OMG, X is soooooooo annoying, aaargh!".

What actually happened was that she spent her whole academic year effectively being my personal babysitter when my health exploded and my degree began to fall apart around me. She spent so much time looking after me (at the worst point, hours on a daily basis), even though she had a lot going on in her own life. She put her professional reputation on the line, just to try and restore my health and get me through my exams. She had numerous fights with people about me/on my behalf. She was basically like a mother to me She did all this with nothing to gain, acted like I was the most normal person on the planet and as if she didn't have thousands of other things to do or a husband she really wanted spend time with (he lives abroad and they have little time together during term). She never showed any frustration or resentment, even when things got really difficult.

All of this for someone who had been a complete stranger, who had all kinds of labels and baggage attached and walked around in a dazed, pyjama-clad state. I'm still baffled by it all, tbh. I can't explain just how much she did for me: it's one of those things where you had to be there to see how bad things were and how much of a difference she made

ReputationRep:
    i have quite a few...

last summer i was walking to the bus when it began pouring down with rain, having been sunny up until that point, and my coat was in my locker. i knew if i went back i'd miss my bus. unfortunately i was wearing a white top which went completely see - through, then a nice man at the bus stop gave me his jacket until the bus came and let me squeeze in next to him under the shelter so i didn't have to stand in the rain

i'd got a lift into the local town but, forgetting it was sunday, there was no buses back. so i had to walk 12 miles up a road with like no footpath and loads of people stopped and offered lifts which was really nice, but you can't be too careful so i declined them all...but the offer still counted and was really nice.

bus drivers letting me on without paying.

a guy on a stall gave me a bracelet i'd been looking at without letting me pay.

when i was 6 we went to the millenium dome and my mum used to have a 'don't go out the door without me' policy and i accidently wandered into another section without realising (since obviously there were no doors) and a teenage boy of about 15 took me too the lost and found...

i think it depends where you live, but there are a lot of very nice people in the world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatanIsAwesome)
    Stuck in York because I dropped £10, someone gave me £5 for the train. <3
    I once gave someone $5 in a train station in Western Canada who only spoke French and didn't have change for breakfast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerset)
    I once gave someone $5 in a train station in Western Canada who only spoke French and didn't have change for breakfast.
    Kind of you, not as kind as this guy though, since £5 > $5 :p:

ReputationRep:
    My next door neighbour gave me a lift into town when she was dropping her Grandson off at Nursery. This wouldn't be so significant, but the week before I helped her put her old carpet in her car when she was taking it to the skip.

Also, I was at O2 fest when I was 15 with my friend and it was unbearably hot. We had hours to wait to go in because we got there at 9am or something. This lovely lady opened up her bag and gave me and my friend a bottle of fanta because we didn't have anything with us. This was so wonderful of her!

But the same night, getting the underground back, I got a massive nosebleed. No-one did anything. I was more annoyed at my friend. I had just given her my jacket so she wouldn't get cold (as she was recovering from pneumonia). So... random acts of kindness goes two ways really, but I wish someone had given me a tissue.

ReputationRep:
    when i was little, my nan was walking me along a road, i think we had just been shopping, when she fell over and couldn't get up. i was little so couldn't do much but was trying to help her up when this guy in a car swerved in front of all these other cars over to the pavement got out his car and helped my nan up. it was so lovely and i will always be grateful to him for helping us

Also, on my way to school, i see this woman basically everytime i go this way (i only go this way when i miss the train) and she gets up especially in the morning to help a blind woman and her guild dog across the road where there isnt a crossing. i dont know why the blind woman goes this way when its obviously not safe for her, but the woman takes time out of her day to make sure she crosses safly which is really nice.

Also at reading this year me and my friends got knocked down in the crowd and like 8 more people fell on top of us. becuase the crowds can get really unruly and everyone sort of does this pushing thing we were so scared we wouldnt get u and get more trappled, but an unknown hand grabbed my arm and lifted me up also those securiity gaurd people at the front of festivals are sent from god, so many times they have pulled people out that are getting squashed and they get loads of abuse fom the drunk people. there was this one really good one who you could see constantly looking out for anyone that needed him.

ah so many nice strangers out there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    My next door neighbour gave me a lift into town when she was dropping her Grandson off at Nursery. This wouldn't be so significant, but the week before I helped her put her old carpet in her car when she was taking it to the skip.

Also, I was at O2 fest when I was 15 with my friend and it was unbearably hot. We had hours to wait to go in because we got there at 9am or something. This lovely lady opened up her bag and gave me and my friend a bottle of fanta because we didn't have anything with us. This was so wonderful of her!

But the same night, getting the underground back, I got a massive nosebleed. No-one did anything. I was more annoyed at my friend. I had just given her my jacket so she wouldn't get cold (as she was recovering from pneumonia). So... random acts of kindness goes two ways really, but I wish someone had given me a tissue.
    i too am a suffer of the untimly nosebleeds ! one time it happened in boots and they gave me a seat and massive box of tissues and looked after me till it stopped. the in marks and spencers toilets this cleaner helped me too cause it wouldnt stop.

lol my friend is so used to me having then, when i go uh oh she knows what to do. when we were in anmibia she came with me to the toilets to sort it out (oh bit of previous info needed here : the blood starts to clot or whatever and it sort of drys in your nose as a massive blood ball. do you get that?) anyway she wanted to pull it out! anyway it was halarious cause she didnt want to touch my blood and was using a tissue but i did get on her. lol never laughed so much in my life!

that was nothing to do with this thread but was a good story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillycat)
    Also, on my way to school, i see this woman basically everytime i go this way (i only go this way when i miss the train) and she gets up especially in the morning to help a blind woman and her guild dog across the road where there isnt a crossing. i dont know why the blind woman goes this way when its obviously not safe for her, but the woman takes time out of her day to make sure she crosses safly which is really nice.

)
    There are so many nice things in this thread, but this one just really gets to me, it's so lovely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.