Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would improve a coffee shop for you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    - Lower prices for both coffee and food!
    - they should definetely be opened until later (maybe until midnight). It's quite frustrating that the only coffee you get when you go out is the not really tasty and weigh too hot coffee from mcdonalds or something...
    - the coffee shouldn't be too hot!
    - sofas and warm colours like fawn and several shades of brown would be nice

ReputationRep:
    if they stopped selling coffee,

the smell makes me puke and the taste.

but starbucks hot chocolates are so nice. ):

ReputationRep:
    Much lower price.
    I think there a MASSIVELY good market for a tim hortens in the UK!

More helpful staff lol

ReputationRep:
      Low prices and lots and lots of choice, more couches, chilled out music, art!

ReputationRep:
      Wifi, comfy seats, themed layout, open space, variety of seating - suitable for dates, or familys, or social hang outs with friends (as in maybe the benched type tables? booths whatever they're called?), lots of interesteing decorations to look at... not quite as busy but similar to that at TGI? hmm Amercian style like someone else said

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by py0alb)
      Don't talk *******s. A cup of coffee is a specific item. Like the majority of customers, when I go into a coffee shop, I simply want a cup of black coffee, and I want to be offered fresh milk and sugar, which I am capable of adding myself. If I wanted a capuccino I would say "a capuccino please".

I would also like to be able to order my coffee in English, not **** ing Italian.
      I work in a coffee shop. You'd be surprised how many customers I get who ask for "A coffee please" and then look at me like I'm an idiot when I reply "Just normal filter coffee?" for them to then say "...No, a cappuccino."

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by gravityisamyth)
      I work in a coffee shop. You'd be surprised how many customers I get who ask for "A coffee please" and then look at me like I'm an idiot when I reply "Just normal filter coffee?" for them to then say "...No, a cappuccino."
      This is the same for me. I've worked in a branch at costa, before moving to a smaller independent shop as it suited me more. I always stop to ask again after they ask for "a normal coffee please" as you'd be surprised what they actually decide is a 'normal' coffee.

ReputationRep:
      Squishy comfy sofas and beanbags as well as stools.
      A starbucks near me has these leaflets that allow you to download a song for free on iTunes-whatever song is specified on the card. Loved that.It's mainly been classical music so far but that was cool.
      live music (not all the time as otherwise being fairly quiet or with low level music so people can study/chat) On that note as others have said have something other than the regular chart music all the time,independent coffee shops I've been in have played stuff like that and I've found some wonderful new music by asking the staff what was playing)
      staying open later
      no kids unless quiet(feel so mean saying this but screaming children and those that tear around the place grabbing at things drive me mad)
      PROPER CHOCOLATE BROWNIES-again this is probably just me but when I have been in places like Starbucks/Costa I've not really liked the brownies so much,bit too dry.
      more savoury food at a decent price is cool,cheese twists,paninins,ciabatta,soup etc.. again there are cost and time constraints on this though. I went into a local coffee shop to me that I'd never seen before,and although I had to wait about 20 minutes for two arribiate chicken panninins and two coffees for my friend and I they tasted AMAZING.

ReputationRep:
      Not just a wide range of coffee... I'd like more of a choice of hot chocolate than between cheap (i.e. no milk) and expensive (i.e. a bit of milk powder and loads of squirty cream on top). Comfier seats are important... People will always go for the nice cushioned ones before hard backed wooden chairs

ReputationRep:
      if places like starbucks served actual coffee rather than warm coffee flavoured milk

ReputationRep:
      Make it inclusive and socially acceptable to sit on your own. I've noticed a lot of coffee shops (More independent shops) have a sort of cliquey nature where if you sit on your own you're looked at a bit funny.

Also give customers a choice of coffee blend based on strength.
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Serve filter coffee.

I went to Costa and cafe Nero in the UK and neither had it. :confused:

ReputationRep:
      I really love cafe music, I find it really relaxing, I like a (relatively) busy atmosphere, sofas and nice drinks

ReputationRep:
      Free WiFi (for anyone who makes a purchase, anyway, just to be reasonable) so that I can use the Internet on my iPad in one without having to use my 3G connection. Regular live performance events would make it fun as well.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by silverbolt)
      if places like starbucks served actual coffee rather than warm coffee flavoured milk
      Starbucks is one of the few larger chains that actually do sell actual, normal filter coffee (£1.50 a cup with free refills). In terms of quality, it isn't that great but at least they have it on offer.

ReputationRep:
      Comfier seats; less sticky tables; a book shelf.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hoppy77)
      Hi,

I am a business studies student and would like to carry out a bit of market research.

I have an idea for a coffee shop and before I do some more research I wanted to find out what would improve the whole 'experience' of buying and drinking at coffee shops. Such as lower price, more seats, other facilites and anything else you can think of.

Any replies would be really appreciated
      I use coffee shops as a place to read and relax. Decent coffee and seating is a must, but the determining factor is outside seating with a nice view and ambience. The self-service chains are OK, but if I'm in Cambridge I use an independent with a welcoming Italian host who brings excellent coffee to my table.

ReputationRep:
      Somewhere outside to smoke that is covered in case of rain.

ReputationRep:
      -Baristas who know actually what they're doing - know how to dial in an espresso and do so throughout the day, are knowledgeable about the coffee they are serving, are able to stretch milk to the correct texture etc
      -Clean, well maintained espresso machines. Pret seem to be a particularly bad offender for this. Every time I go in there the steam wands on their machines are always absolutely caked in old milk, it's ****ing disgusting.
      -Serving coffee at the correct temperature of 60-65 degrees instead of one billion Kelvin or whatever Costa serves it at

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.