Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many of you eat food that isn't yours? And be HONEST! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I do. Not on a a large scale, but then again we pretty much eat eachothers food, except frozen stuff like Chicken and Mince.

ReputationRep:
    The people in my house don't eat each others food (that I know of). We all use each others milk but then we kind of take turns in buying it. I even keep stuff like chocolate, cake and crisps in the cupboard in the kitchen and no one takes it. The only thing we have to be careful of leaving around is alcohol.
    Can't you just talk to the people in your house? If I had an issue like this I'd talk to eveyone about it. Orrrr just take their food as well?? Although I guess that makes you as bad as them then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Basically, I'm just wondering how many of you do this. And why? We're all in the same boat, we all have to budget for food, why do you think it's okay to eat other people's stuff?

I'm ****ing sick and tired of going to the fridge and finding that half my bacon is missing, that someone's eaten the rest of my cheese slices and left the empty packet in the fridge, that my milk is empty and someone has dared to open my goats cheese.

I've tried labelling thing, putting my name on. Writting notes saying I've sneezed over the slice of pizza that I put in there for later etc. I've tried leaving it without labels to see if it changes things, and things still disappear. Of course, nobody will own up to it.

Obviously I keep the best things in my room, like crisps, cereal, and chocolate. And anything that doesn't need to be in the fridge/freezer really.

Seriously, what will it take for people to stop helping themselves to my food?!
    For the milk - let it go off and put it back in the fridge with a new label indicating it's not off.
    Then they will drink off milk =p.

Then take that lable off and put it on your 'not off' milk. Therefore they still think its off and wont drink it lol.

It does sound like people are being extreme with taking your food though...it wasnt that bad where i was and i shared a pantry with 18 others!

Another good thing - it's cold outside - if your not on ground floor, stick your stuff in a bag and hang it out the window to keep cool. My mates did that quite a lot last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesse_Mac)
    If you're intending on eating something for dinner only to find someone's taken it, that's annoying. If you have a cupboard full of things and someone asks you, takes it and eventually replaces it, that's fine.
    I dont totally agree but asing is better than nothing, I know people who ask but even if you say no take it anyway, but know what you mean as I am indecisive about what I want to eat for a meal and sometimes may have a vague idea of what I want and I usually buy a load of food at once and the common excuse when its stolen is that I had a lot of food anyway so I could easily just pick something else.

Even had one guy 2 years ago say I was greedy for buying a lot of food at once and it was my own fault it got stolen(he was stealing it) because I was "too lazy" to go to the shops every day and bought loads at once!

Also say I have quite a lot of food, but decide I want say a hot and spicy pizza and only have 1, but have 2 other pizzas which are like pepperoni and someone steals the hot and spicy one, they go "oh but you have 2 other pizzas anyway" and my current flatmate said that, and I told him I planned on eating the hot and spicy one he told me there was "no difference" and that a pizza was a pizza.

(Original post by AshleyT)
    For the milk - let it go off and put it back in the fridge with a new label indicating it's not off.
    Then they will drink off milk =p.

Then take that lable off and put it on your 'not off' milk. Therefore they still think its off and wont drink it lol.

It does sound like people are being extreme with taking your food though...it wasnt that bad where i was and i shared a pantry with 18 others!

Another good thing - it's cold outside - if your not on ground floor, stick your stuff in a bag and hang it out the window to keep cool. My mates did that quite a lot last year.
    Her's is NOTHING compared to what I have experienced, I would experience entire packs of stuff taken, I mean one time I bought 20 muller corners(could of been more) and 1 hour later they were all gone, as was 2 blocks of brand new cheese, a packet of chicken breasts, pack of pies, half a 2 litre milk all within one hour, like I said earlier I only found out who it was when I left though I had suspicions it was them before that, i.e they spent their free time in living room next to front door which they can see people coming in with shopping, they often saw me unpacking etc, turns out they had their own fridge in their room and they were stealing food and just storing it in their fridge.

ReputationRep:
    When I have no milk for my cereal I'll use a Splash of milk from any open milks - however I would never open someone elses milk, or use the last drop of someone milk.

Same if I need some butter for a sandwich.

ReputationRep:
    I only really borrow milk from one of my flatmates who I know doesn't mind, since we pretty much use each others when we need it anyway. Food I don't touch, it's just rude! We have a real issue with people using others food in our flat though (and cooking equipment, and failing to wash it up..).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.