Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Students. You have nothing to worry about. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    Which is not the case. Funding will increase.
    Just as Govt spending is increasing over the next 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    You said.

Originally Posted by CitizensUnited
    21000 -(35*12) = £20580 per year, after the student loan has been paid off.
    £9000 is a good idea, because the government will reduce university funding, so therefore having a higher cap will provide a better education.
    Even if your teacher is still paying his loan back, it will be a teeny amount of his actual salary (about 2% of his salary)

So the university funding from the government stays the same, but tuition fees increase, so the university will get more money. They can then use that extra money to provide better courses for the students.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment typical debt for a 3 year course is 20k, if the fees tripple, that will bring debt for a 4 year course upto about 40k.

According to official estimates (so obviously on the generous side) graduates earn 100k more over their working life compared to non graduates. 100k - 40k student loans - 3 years lost income whilst studying (say 30k) = what is the point in going to Uni.

Another thing, if we all pay back only a pittance, then it's going to cost the more government money in unpaid student loans. Isn't the whole point in doing this to save money? So then why bother in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empire08)
    According to official estimates (so obviously on the generous side) graduates earn 100k more over their working life compared to non graduates. 100k - 40k student loans - 3 years lost income whilst studying (say 30k) = what is the point in going to Uni.
    Man you're bad at maths!

If grads earn 100k more than non grads how can you then take away 3 years 'lost earnings'? You've stated at death they are 100k ahead!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Man you're bad at maths!

If grads earn 100k more than non grads how can you then take away 3 years 'lost earnings'? You've stated at death they are 100k ahead!
    Well, it depends what they count as "working life".

Even 40k out of 100k, that is a huge chunk of money. So if graduates earn 60K more over a 40 year career that's 1.5K per year. Wow, fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empire08)
    Well, it depends what they count as "working life".

Even 40k out of 100k, that is a huge chunk of money. So if graduates earn 60K more over a 40 year career that's 1.5K per year. Wow, fantastic.
    You're assuming that that earnings level pays off the debt.

I'd agree the average isn't great, but thats only a worry if you're an average graduate, if you're pretty good then you're sorted.

ReputationRep:
    You said.

Originally Posted by CitizensUnited
    21000 -(35*12) = £20580 per year, after the student loan has been paid off.
    £9000 is a good idea, because the government will reduce university funding, so therefore having a higher cap will provide a better education.
    Even if your teacher is still paying his loan back, it will be a teeny amount of his actual salary (about 2% of his salary)

I know, somebody earlier corrected me.

ReputationRep:

It's nearly Christmas!

(Original post by Quady)
      errrr you and I might be children of Thatcher, the 17 year olds on here are Majors kids...
      You missed the point Quady...Thatcher's legacy extends beyond her terms as PM...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Martyn*)
      I fully understand the crisis you, me and many students up and down the country face. I know that standards of living have decreased over the last couple of years. I know the unfairness of society. But with regards to this 40 grand debt; you may not actually have to pay it ALL back. You may only be paying a couple a thousand, perhaps less. You might not even have to pay a penny back, becuase you have to be earning £21,000 a year.
      But alas, I don't go to university so I can end up hating my 18 grand a year job.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Martyn*)
      I'm getting tired of seeing and hearing about these tuition fee cuts and student protests.

THERE ARE BIGGER THINGS GOING ON IN THE WORLD

Yes. There are.

Ok. Granted that this is a student forum, but look:

You won't have to pay any of the debt unless when you leave University, you start top earn over £21,000 per annum.

It's not that bad. How many of these students are going to be earning that amount when they find that upon leaving their education they'll be tossing burgers at a fast food chain, pulling pints at the local, or sat behind a till in T.J.Hughes? Or even unemployed?

How many?

Even if you do get that kind of salary, it's only £7 per month. Granted for a long time, but that debt can be written off, apparently.

WHAT IS THE FUSS ABOUT?

At this present moment, I find myself unable to eat properly or afford decent clothing, worried about my own debt problems, baliffs turning up at the door, court charges, unable to put the gas on, rent increase next month and I'll have to find somewhere else to live because I can't afford the rent anymore.

I've not gone to the local council and protested about my rent no longer getting paid in full. I've not phoned British Gas to complain about the rise in fuel prices. I haven't stormed the local supermarket demanding to stop rising food prices.

Seriously. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

Oi you cheeky little *******, some of us actually DO currently work at TJ Hughes. No need to get smarmy....

ReputationRep:
      A lot of graduates are not going to get "graduate jobs". If they're lucky they'll get the sorts of jobs people with good GCSE's or A levels used to get.
      There's been massive grade inflation and accompanying qualification inflation in recent years, with, for example, about 25% of A level results at grade A now. Grade B at A level is just average.
      At the same time, every year, the UK moves further down international school quality leagues as reported in the press again just yesterday. The grades are going up, but the real outcomes of education in the UK are getting worse, not better.
      It's just not palatable for any government to admit the truth because to do so would undermine the whole educational system, from primary right up to HE.
      There's nothing much fair about any of this. Many people will be saddled with long term debt for a a degree that isn't worth much more than the paper it's printed on while the elite students at elite institutions will get value for money.
      Many people are now, unfortunately, irrelevant to the economy in the UK and maybe it's time to face up to that ugly fact.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Doubledog)
      A lot of graduates are not going to get "graduate jobs". If they're lucky they'll get the sorts of jobs people with good GCSE's or A levels used to get.
      There's been massive grade inflation and accompanying qualification inflation in recent years, with, for example, about 25% of A level results at grade A now. Grade B at A level is just average.
      At the same time, every year, the UK moves further down international school quality leagues as reported in the press again just yesterday. The grades are going up, but the real outcomes of education in the UK are getting worse, not better.
      It's just not palatable for any government to admit the truth because to do so would undermine the whole educational system, from primary right up to HE.
      There's nothing much fair about any of this. Many people will be saddled with long term debt for a a degree that isn't worth much more than the paper it's printed on while the elite students at elite institutions will get value for money.
      Many people are now, unfortunately, irrelevant to the economy in the UK and maybe it's time to face up to that ugly fact.
      So for how long as graduate salary been declining and have you a source?

ReputationRep:
      "The three universities most-often targeted by Britain’s top graduate employers in 2009-
      2010 are Manchester, London (including Imperial College, University College and
      the London School of Economics) and Warwick.
      • Three-quarters of employers said they had received more completed graduate job
      applications during the early part of the recruitment season than they had last year.
      More than two-fifths of applicants were recent graduates who had failed to find work
      after leaving university in 2009 or before.
      • Additional research with 1,001 final year university students shows that job hunters
      are even more pessimistic this year about their career prospects than finalists were
      in 2009
      "
      http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/WoW/WOW_Docs/GM10Report.pdf

edit; also : "Half of finalists believe they’ll have to take any job that they’re offered, a quarter
      say they’ve been forced to apply to employers that they aren’t really interested in
      and many expect to begin work on a lower salary than they were hoping for."

ReputationRep:
      Average graduate salary is £25,000.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8504999.stm

Also, I love how people bang on about the availability of jobs to graduates.

People should realise that a degree is internationally recognised meaning you could easily move abroad to get that job you always wanted.

If you aren't willing to make sacrifices for that job such as moving abroad then maybe those people should reconsider going to university in the first place.

I know I would happily leave the UK to get a job.

ReputationRep:
      Average graduate salary is £25,000.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8504999.stm

Also, I love how people bang on about the availability of jobs to graduates.

People should realise that a degree is internationally recognised meaning you could easily move abroad to get that job you always wanted.

If you aren't willing to make sacrifices for that job such as moving abroad then maybe those people should reconsider going to university in the first place.

I know I would happily leave the UK to get a job.
      With all due respect, the article you've quoted supports my point that graduate salaries are generally going down, except for those from elite institutions.
      "Based on a poll of recruiters, the survey says graduates of 2009-2010 will experience a "double hit" of lower wages and higher university fees. "
      Going abroad is a great idea, but may be not as easy as some think.

ReputationRep:
      Students are idiots.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Slab'o'Butter)
      Students are idiots.
      Yes okay.

I find your general viewpoint of students funny to be perfectly honest.

Mark Zuckerberg, worth just under $7bn, is an idiot in your eyes then as he was a Harvard student.

You must be an idiot to have those particular views. Your life must suck !

ReputationRep:
      Yes okay.

I find your general viewpoint of students funny to be perfectly honest.

Mark Zuckerberg, worth just under $7bn, is an idiot in your eyes then as he was a Harvard student.

You must be an idiot to have those particular views. Your life must suck !
      En-masse, students are idiotic sheep, inept children who know little of the realities of a hard days work. For the majority, that is afterall why they are at university. With their minds crammed full of idealistic bull**** and figures in mind for their starting salleries - they'll end up on the dole if they're lucky - fall into a job straight away if they're desperate - and most will live their lives a bitter slave (but oh such a trooper) to a whimsical decision they made at 16-17 years old.

The system sucks

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Slab'o'Butter)
      En-masse, students are idiotic sheep, inept children who know little of the realities of a hard days work. For the majority, that is afterall why they are at university. With their minds crammed full of idealistic bull**** and figures in mind for their starting salleries - they'll end up on the dole if their lucky - fall into a job straight away if they're desperate - and most will live their lives slave to a whimsical decision they made at 16-17 years old.
      Okay, if that's what you believe.

That's why many scientists, many doctors, many nurses, many surgeons and so on keep the country running.

I hope one day you do not need a serious operation because If I was a surgeon and you turned around and told me "students were inept idiotic sheep full of idealistic bull****" then I'd not help you in any way whatsoever.

Students have found many new inventions from the bionic contact lens to the Facebook Social Network which you probably use.

Also as for you saying the majority of students don't know how to work well that's wrong as many students

1. work alongside tuition
      2. take work placement in industry during university
      3. have worked to save up for university
      4. are attending university funded by the company they are working for

So your whole views are wrong.

I just think that you are either so stupid you cannot go to university and jealous at all those who have put enough effort in to be able to go or you live in a false sense of reality.

The statistics prove that graduates on average earn a lot more over their lifetime than someone with a university level qualification. Yes, you do get those without qualifications going on to be very wealthy but the majority do not.

http://www.myfinances.co.uk/cut-your-bills/news/degrees-boost-earnings-by-160-061-$465323.htm

Also, at least students have the motivation to learn at university rather than pop out dozens of children and claim as so many now seem to do.

Believe me, its a lot harder to attend university, manage finances and work than it is just purely to work.

And also, I plan to go to university in 2011 and since 16 I went to college for 2 years on a full time course and then at 18 I studied Computer Aided Engineering on a part time course whilst working full time. I will now continue working for a year to fund university in 2011.

Your views of students is a farcical one at most.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.