Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Twenty-one Oxbridge colleges took no black students last year Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Do the universities know the applicants race. I didnt know that.
    Ever heard of UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    man you really need to wake up
    Wake me up...........

ReputationRep:
    have you ever thought that maybe black people dont do well at school? its not racism, dont blame oxford. i know too many black people from college and most of them were time wasters and had nothing going for them.

ReputationRep:
    Wait...so 11 Oxford colleges made no offers to black people in 2009. That means ~22 colleges did. Yet only 1 guy was accepted for study? Either 21 people missed their offer or something doesn't add up :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    Wait...so 11 Oxford colleges made no offers to black people in 2009. That means ~22 colleges did. Yet only 1 guy was accepted for study? Either 21 people missed their offer or something doesn't add up :curious:
    The article mixes use of "Black Caribbean" (where the 1 offer stat for that year comes from) and Black in general which includes "Black African" and possibly mixed race as well.

Lammy's piece also claims that there aren't any black academics at Cambridge which is simply untrue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katyness)
    Ever heard of UCAS?
    What is this mythical thing called UCAS you speak of? Ive never heard of it, even after all my years in higher education and my time spent on a student forum. Please enlighten me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    It's not Oxford's fault that the black applicants* weren't good enough, was it?

EDIT in response to your added part: They wouldn't have even know he was black before they interviewed him. Seeing as they didn't, they would never had known...

* There - no 'the blacks' anymore.
    On UCAS you put ethnic origin as well as Nationality...

ReputationRep:
    What is this mythical thing called UCAS you speak of? Ive never heard of it, even after all my years in higher education and my time spent on a student forum. Please enlighten me.
    Ok then you should know you have to fill that in. And when you do it is required to add your ethnic origin. Im just saying it like that because I actually thought they wouldn't know but it does make sense when you fill the UCAS form.

ReputationRep:
    Ok then you should know you have to fill that in. And when you do it is required to add your ethnic origin. Im just saying it like that because I actually thought they wouldn't know but it does make sense when you fill the UCAS form.
    Thank you for telling me this. You must be an Oxbridge applicant, with your superior intelect and what-not.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure ethnic origin goes on the UCAS, and cambridge apps have to send a photo of themselves.
    Not that I think anything fishy is going on. I think they are twisted stats, black people have african backgrounds as well as caribbean, and I'm sure just as many white people don't get an interview either. It's competitive.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for telling me this. You must be an Oxbridge applicant, with your superior intelect and what-not.
    Now that you mention it, I think I actually have the potential. It's a shame I have already applied :/ if I only I could go back in time :rolleyes: oh what am I talking about? Of course I can go back in time with my superior intellectual skills everything is possible :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krebs)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...black-students

"The university's admissions data confirms that only one black Briton of Caribbean descent was accepted for undergraduate study at Oxford last year"

Way to single someone out.

"I'm black and applied for Law at Oxford this year. Got 5 As at AS level, near-perfect predictions far beyond what they ask for and pretty nifty GCSE grades too. Didn't even get an interview and everyone thought there was something smelly in the water. They never told me why I wasn't good enough. I would be very worried for the future and direction of our society if this is why."- a comment
    With all due respect, I think you are seeing a race issue where there is not one. Something which regularly happens these days in the UK.
    I applied to LSE with 4 A's (the year before A*s although all 4 would have been) to do politics or politics with economics. Having stood as councillor and worked for the Mayor of London for 3 months. I didn't even get an interview. That's life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    But the person complaining they didn't get an interview would have never been seen by them, nor would the uni have known he was black before rejecting him at interview.

Names are not always a 'give away' as to the background of an applicant; for example, have fun guessing I'm of German heritage based on my name alone.
    Well a name like Abdul Kareem is kind of an indication.

ReputationRep:
    Now that you mention it, I think I actually have the potential. It's a shame I have already applied :/ if I only I could go back in time :rolleyes: oh what am I talking about? Of course I can go back in time with my superior intellectual skills everything is possible :cool:
    Indeed. Oh well its Oxbridges loss. They need your superior intelligence more than you need them. Get started on that time machine soon, and then go back in time to before this conversation began.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    No.
    No you weren't.
    And you would know that wouldn't you because you're pink and that automatically makes you more superior, knowledgeable, and always right regardless and just generally better than every other ethnicity right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    how do you know?
    Its because he's pink.. They're always right, even when they're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King-Panther)
    And you would know that wouldn't you because you're pink and that automatically makes you more superior, knowledgeable, and always right regardless and just generally better than every other ethnicity right?
    Actually I'm yellow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O93)
    If they don't meet the requirements, or there are better applicants, why should they get a place?
    Agreed. Positive discrimination sucks.

Where I live, there must be only a handful of black people living in the whole town of several thousands, whereas in some cities they are in the majority. So, depending on where you live you might (rightly or wrongly - I'm not sure) think there should a much higher proportion of blacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O93)
    If they don't meet the requirements, or there are better applicants, why should they get a place?
    The OP just gave an example of a black person who did meet the requirements though, and was rejected without given reason.

ReputationRep:
    so??
    admission is intellect based not race based... The black applicants didn't meet the requirements so they didn't get a place...

I remember someone got rejected by all his uni choices with 5/6 A levels with top grades last year including Oxbridge, he was white, can't find the link to the news at the moment, will post later..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.