Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyAmy0913)
    If i started my course in 2011 do i pay £3290 for one year then £9000 for the other 2 years or do i just pay £3290 for the whole 3 years as i would already be studying at uni?
    You will be under the current system. The new system is for students who start their undergraduate studies in 2012.

(Original post by kbountra)
      It is ridiculous that a medicine degree could cost £45000 which is an absolute joke.
      Supply and demand. And the fact it is pretty expensive to train a student to become a doctor.

Personally, I think it's fair.

ReputationRep:
      Just got back from protest, it was awesome, too bad we didn't get the result we wanted

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Teveth)
      Disgusting.

Every Lib Dem MP who abstained or voted in favour should be impeached. They're nothing but rats, and that goes for ALL Lib Dem supporters who have chosen not to desert the party.
      Yes, instead they should have commisioned a review to present its results after the next election so they don't lose popularity before it, and then if they lost the election they could gain popularity opportunistically by pretending they totally wouldn't have done the exact same thing.

You realise Labour support a graduate tax which is hardy any different to this at all? With the new loan system, you don't pay anything back unless you're earning over a certain threshold, and then it's only a small amount a month you have to pay. It's exactly like a tax apart from you stop paying it if you pay off your loan (or if you haven't paid it off after 30 years or something). A graduate tax would undoubtedly take way more money off the vast majority of graduates then the fees/loan will; the only reason this is seen as worse is that it's a bit scary being told you owe loads of money.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hooj)
      Haha yes pay more and think more carefully before you go to Uni cus if you choose a mickey mouse course it's gonna take you all your life to pay the debt off!
      Not it won't...
      If you take a micky mouse degree and dont get a decent job(something over 21k a year).
      You wont have to pay a penny back.
      It's going to make the micky mouse degree problem worse.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ataloss)
      Surely the coalition is now guaranteed to last the 5 years. No way the Lib Dems will break away now - sure one or two may disaffect but all the Lib Dems that matter (i.e - Ministers) voted for it. Vince Cable was the only Lib Dem who could realistically have bought down the coalition - he can't now.
      Or you could say, that the lib dem back benchers and a few defected tories have had a taste for rebelion and this could be that start of something big. Works both ways really. We'll just have to see.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      Even PhDs? I never knew that... Source? This is actually quite interesting.
      I know Finland do free education to phd, France is next to nothing - in the 500 euro range for annual tuition fees.

(Original post by perrytheplatypus)
        You quoted the second part of what I said and repeated it to me in another form. What was the point?
        Does it really matter?

And I see you didn't dispute the fact that lots of people going to uni is a bad thing.
        Well the more important point is that too many people going - but not for the right purposes/courses.

And why exactly does scraping mickey mouse degrees mean you have to raise tuition fees?
        Well are the government scrapping mickey mouse courses? In addition, I see no coherent argument against deflecting some of the cost back to the student - who ultimately benefits from the university education.

ReputationRep:
        Supply and demand. And the fact it is pretty expensive to train a student to become a doctor.

I thought the nhs funded it?

ReputationRep:

You are forgetting most doctors pay a lot of tax for their working lives and usually pay multiple amounts of tax in comparison to the cost of their learning.

If anything, they actually put money into the economy rather than taking out.

ReputationRep:
        Source for this so I can comment?

(Tbh, I think it's easy to see which degrees are Mickey Mouse and which isn't. E.g. English Literature isn't, Media is).
        Source? Its been over the news for the past few months. Will try to find a few after I've had my food though.

And for some its easy yes. But not for others.
        Initial assumptions are not always true. Take say a Computer Games development course at Abertay uni. Most would label it as a mickey mouse subject, at a pretty poor uni. But the uni has excellent links with the industry and has a very very high percentage of graduates going straight into the industry.
        Its not always so clear.

(no offence to anyone who may be taking a games dev degree, or may be at abertay)

(Original post by Blondshavemorefun)
        That may be true, but at least our top uni's can and do compete with the Ivy League uni's in the states (which are much more expensive and I think private) and now the funding has been settled can go on competing successfully.

The cheaper public uni's in the rest of Western World aren't on the whole very good.
        But most of our top unis don't compete with the Ivy League. Only a couple of ours are really up there in comparison.

Plus, all the higher fees are doing is replacing the government funding that is being cut. So the actual universities probably won't be any better off than what they are now (and some will be a lot worse off).

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by AshleyT)
        I thought the nhs funded it?
        NHS partially funds it. They pay for the 5th year of 5 year courses.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by The Cornerstone)
        Really? I might try for france then since I can speak the language
        Yes. I know certainly with postgraduate finance courses (e.g. MSc Finance) European universities like Rotterdam, Vrije Universiteit, ETH Zurich etc. charge far lower fees.

But when tuition fees were c. £3200 (free at the point of entry) it may arguably be financially cheaper (in the short term) to study in the UK at undergraduate level. I'm not sure how the loans system works in continental Europe.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by TSR-MATT)
        How can people end up paying less under this system?
        :facepalm: Read the Browne report it is available free on line.

(Original post by sicarius1992)
          What about children from poor backgrounds who have just as much potential to succeed as someone from the wealthiest family in the country? Is it fair that they should be put into debt?
          :facepalm2:

*No university will be able to charge more than £6000 without helping the poorer students or whatever jargon you want to say.
          *There are (more) bursaries/grants available.
          *You do not pay anything until you are earning over £21,000.
          *All "debt" is written off after 30 years.

(Original post by Organ)
            First it will be history and politics, next it will be enginerring and medicine.
            This statement doesn't really mean anything? :erm:

ReputationRep:
            Even PhDs? I never knew that... Source? This is actually quite interesting.
            When I lived in Oslo I found out (from the university itself, as I plan on doing my PhD in Norway) that all degrees including Master's and Doctorates are free of charge except for a small registration fee each semester of about £44 which doesn't even go to the university but to the students union (I also believe this can be opted out of). I know for sure that it's the same in Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, the Faroes and Finland (as there is a pan-Nordic exchange programme between universities. I know a few Gemans and Italians also doing post-grad degrees for free in their home countries. I've looked at Dutch univerisities too and the fees are minimal (less than £100 a term).

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Reue)
            Thats a terrible take on the economics of it considering all costs are covered by an income related loan.
            Maybe it was. I still think education is a terrible place to make cuts. Education brings our future workers... they'll be in more debt... families will have less disposable income... and then it just multiplies the effect. Why take this deficit out on the young people, when the older generation have lived many years of their lives, spending at will... and the rich are proportionately better off.

Do you support this new fee limit that's come in? If yes, are you a student at the moment, or have you graduated?

Why are these protesters bashing up stuff :facepalm: stupid people!

(Original post by Lewroll)
              Just got back from protest, it was awesome, too bad we didn't get the result we wanted
              :facepalm2:

Just one large street and alcohol-fuelled party for you, wasn't it?

Lol, were you really expecting the result?

Stupid students, how can you be so gullible? First Clegg's 6-year phase of tuition fees, and the belief that protesting will change their minds. :facepalm2:

And yes, they are aware people are not happy, so protesting for "awareness" is pretty pathetic.

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
              I support united.
              Hot- you won't be saying that when your in the summer.
              Blastoise defeats chariszard.

Labour backwards. Clegg with the tories are progressive and forward thinking.
              Sorry, but never have I seen a Blastoise beat a Charizard in competitive play xD .

Submit reply
            TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
            Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.