Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    Perhaps they feel that, if they graduate and get a high-paid job, they should contribute to the cost of the higher education which they received, and not a bricklayer who didn't go to university.

Perhaps they're not so selfish as to believe that taxpayers, who are on an average salary of £21,000, should have to pay for their degree if they go on to become lawyers, bankers, headteachers, accountants, etc.

Perhaps they have a sense of pride in repaying the Government for their optional degrees so that the Government can spend money on drugs for cancer patients, and roads, and schools so that everybody can have good education up to the age of 18, and then have the opportunity to go to university.

Perhaps they believe in fairness.

Perhaps they just want to laugh at Nick Clegg.

Who knows?
    You are very trusting of this government to spend the money in such ways.
    They lie to get into power, and now we trust them to use the money wisely.
    You might be right, but how many bricklayers do we need.
    I believe we should invest in jobs that require more of an education.
    So many jobs need degrees nowadays.
    This could cause a devestation of so many students not going to universities.
    Maybe things will work out, but the risk is too great in my eyes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwsomePossum)
    Viva la revaloution. We should go communist.I would love to see the governments. Attempt at own brand hollister hoodies.Rofl

And as a special treat

In soviet Russia.....Clegg get hung.

seriosly What the hell does clegg even do.I imagine at debates he tries to talk and Cameron says "quiaaat Clegg back to your couloring book" Clegg"Naaw I want milky bar" Cameron"Now Clegg if you do what I do ill get you an ice cream". Clegg"And some yu gi oh cards?" Cameron"*Sigh*yes clegg,Now I've got to go kick ass and take names....cough.....in the house of commons"
    Thankyou for your oh so insightful input.

ReputationRep:
    So you Tory fan boys don't think the last minute changes - no fees for a year for those on free school dinners, no fees for a second year if at a uni charging £9K, annual adjustment of threshold rather than 5 yearly adjustment, were nothing to do with the size of the protest?

ReputationRep:
    Today the future of education died as its use as the scapegoat in the saving of money from the national debt caused by Labour.

I now have no faith Labour, Conservatives or the Lib Dems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4994mm)
    You are very trusting of this government to spend the money in such ways.
    They lie to get into power, and now we trust them to use the money wisely.
    You might be right, but how many bricklayers do we need.
    I believe we should invest in jobs that require more of an education.
    So many jobs need degrees nowadays.
    This could cause a devestation of so many students not going to universities.
    Maybe things will work out, but the risk is too great in my eyes!
    I'm not sure what you mean? The Govt gives the money straight to universities, they get every penny of the fees.

ReputationRep:
    Pardon me for caring,
    But people seem to forget that there are thousands of young people who are in danger of not risking their life away at university.
    People forget that this effects real people, and real futures.

Surely the protests show how many people are going to be in situations of a standard of life much lower than there potential.
    How is it risking your life away?! If you get a good job you pay it back, otherwise you don't, sounds like no risk to me. With regards to the economic effect people seem to have this view that taxpayers money comes from some magical land and don't seem to understand that graduates paying more means others paying less. The cost of uni is massively below the increase in earning potential it gives most people even with the rises!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpont)
    But why should students be exempt? University education is a privilege, not a right - if it dissuades people from taking joke courses, then it's not a bad thing. This can only make Universities raise their game - if they're not up to scratch, then they should fall by the wayside. It can only raise the overall quality of university education
    I want to go into medicine personally.
    These fees are very scary!
    Yes, if things go right then my carrer will drown out any problem with the fees.
    If things go wrong then my future. Is completely ruined.
    The government is allowed to make my life such a risk?
    I'll happily pay more if I earn the amount i want to, but why make it fact the amount i'm paying before i've proven my succsess?

ReputationRep:
    I want to go into medicine personally.
    These fees are very scary!
    Yes, if things go right then my carrer will drown out any problem with the fees.
    If things go wrong then my future. Is completely ruined.
    The government is allowed to make my life such a risk?
    I'll happily pay more if I earn the amount i want to, but why make it fact the amount i'm paying before i've proven my succsess?
    How will it ruin your life exactly? Again, being a bit melodramatic - do you actually know the ins and outs of the repayments?

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for your oh so insightful input.

I try, all my meaningfull comments have already been mention so I thought I'd lighten Teh mood.Somebody somewhere might laugh.....maybe

ReputationRep:
    How will it ruin your life exactly? Again, being a bit melodramatic - do you actually know the ins and outs of the repayments?
    I'm fighting this battle on my own it seems
    Anyway, i'm going to revise for my mock exam tomorrow.
    We will see if it's worth.
    Thank you for the chat
    You've given me more of an insight to what's going on and maybe I was a tad ignorant to the whole situation.
    YET i'm still against it.

ReputationRep:
    "La France a perdu une bataille, mais la France n'a pas perdu la guerre."

ReputationRep:
    I'm fighting this battle on my own it seems
    Anyway, i'm going to revise for my mock exam tomorrow.
    We will see if it's worth.
    Thank you for the chat
    You've given me more of an insight to what's going on and maybe I was a tad ignorant to the whole situation.
    YET i'm still against it.
    Things will work out just fine, the situation is nowhere near as bad as people are making out. Look at the evidence, and ignore the hot air. Best of luck for your exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manga-freak)
    Today the future of education died as its use as the scapegoat in the saving of money from the national debt caused by Labour.

I now have no faith Labour, Conservatives or the Lib Dems.
    Stop being so ridiculous, the best universities in the world and the most successful economy in the world has far more expensive uni's than us and has done for a long time, they still turned out graduates that have been at or near the top of every academic and professional field on earth. All the people unable to see that a uni education is still incredible value don't deserve to have one, if we let the free market dictate the price oxbridge would be able to charge $80000/year (inc. bed & board) like Harvard business school for some of its courses. Being successful requires making good investments with an element of risk, the risk in this is very low considering you don't ever pay it back if you never earn much money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    Suffragists vs Sufragettes. Who had the bigger impact? Hint: not the latter - what better way to get the vote for women than throwing yourself under a horse, dying instantly and never being able to vote in any case?
    I'm crap at history, and even I know she didn't die instantly. Get your facts right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FattyInNeed)
    Not true - Wales won it's tution fees rise protest. :awesome:

Shame i'm going to uni in England, though.

:sigh:
    Are you welsh? If so:

BBC quote : "The plan to raise fees will apply to students in England. Welsh students will not pay the higher rate of fees, even at universities in England."

ReputationRep:
    [email protected] all those saying it will be reversed next election - funnily enough, now its been done, i cant see any party in a rush to overturn this...

ReputationRep:
    Yay, Serfdom!

ReputationRep:
    I feel let down by Clegg though. Politicians cannot ever be trusted, they say what they want to get votes and end up being a complete sell-out. Also, I definately agree that protests are about the bigger picture and in the next election we will see the result.
    Also, I may not be a taxpayer but my parents are and I am one of four children, my older sister and I are at uni now and although it was going to be expensive before these cuts mean my parents will struggle even more.
    Once again it is the middle class that take the hit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goose1990)
    Stop being so ridiculous, the best universities in the world and the most successful economy in the world has far more expensive uni's than us and has done for a long time, they still turned out graduates that have been at or near the top of every academic and professional field on earth. All the people unable to see that a uni education is still incredible value don't deserve to have one, if we let the free market dictate the price oxbridge would be able to charge $80000/year (inc. bed & board) like Harvard business school for some of its courses. Being successful requires making good investments with an element of risk, the risk in this is very low considering you don't ever pay it back if you never earn much money!
    I know the comparison to the US etc. etc. And yes I was being ridiculous, people will be in debt for a max of 25/30 before it gets wiped. However in the bigger picture, I don't believe taking the money out of education in such an amount was a good idea.

I also have lost faith with the Lib Dems selling out their ideals (well a lot of them) and I never liked conservative ideas and Labour are as said before, a rudderless boat so in that respect I wasn't being as silly as you say, though i was trying to get my point across concisely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mother_eve3088)
    Are you welsh? If so:

BBC quote : "The plan to raise fees will apply to students in England. Welsh students will not pay the higher rate of fees, even at universities in England."
    REALLY??? :eek:

I'm originally from Wales...!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.