Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hali0112)
    why? obviously the public didn't really know her. our opinions can only be based on her public image. but she did so much charity work and as a result won the respect of the public. camilla is nothing compared to Diana. her face in the picture just shows exactly what she is thinking. she looks utterly disgusted by the riots. Yes, she is allowed to have an opinion, but what right does she have to have one on this issue when she has lived a cushioned life remote from the real world.
    She didn't win my respect. I was sick to death of seeing her smug look and those doe eyes while she picked up all those black babies with AIDS, all covered in flies with snotty noses.

I can't count the number of times that woman's antics in African orphanages put me off my breakfast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hali0112)
    definitely not. I support the cause and I understand the frustration that students feel and I appreciate that this is the only way that people feel that their views can be heard. I believe that violence is wrong and I do not condone it. but what other way is there for students to be heard by politicians?

I just wonder how many of those students actually voted in the last general election. I'm guessing not the majority. If you don't vote because you can't be asked or don't know who to vote for, you don't deserve to have a say in how the country is being run.

If we really wanted to be heard, acting like crazy *******s destroying everything in their path is the wrong way to go about it. Proven by the fact the media is mainly focusing only on the violence and little on the student fees. Get a peaceful protest going, with important members of student societies joining up at Houses of Parliament and discussing the impacts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Oh, for Christ's Sake stop being so thick.

I did say that the Royal family is a remnant of a feudal system. But that's not to imply that everything that is a remnant a days gone by should be gotten rid of. The army is also a remnant of the feudal system. I don't think it should be disbanded though.

Stop the idiotic nitpicking and wordplay and throw me some concrete arguments as to why these parasites should continue to preside over us. Or be quiet.
    Thankyou for clarifying. The question remains, then, if you admit it's an erroneous argument to play, why did you bring it up?

I have explained elsewhere why they do their job fine - as the monarchy is an apolitical institution with high amounts of regard based on its history and traditions.

ReputationRep:
    I would have laughed so hard if one of the students had got shot at

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the Royals, but he should never he been travelling in such a stupid car on a day like that. He needed an armoured 4x4 with blacked out windows. Driving a roller through London on a day when future students have just been thrown into debt was just asking for trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiBoy)
    how is it democratic to have a monarchy?

fool.
    Polls have shown time and time again that the majority of people in this country want to keep the monarchy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan Idaho)
    they told him to get a job and to stop claiming benefits
    Lawl! Its true, they do nothing but sit there criticising other people when they have no rights to.

ReputationRep:
    but the royal family is a big tourist attraction therefore they also bring in money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bookmark)
    Polls have shown time and time again that the majority of people in this country want to keep the monarchy.
    the same polls that said the Lib Dems would win the election at one point no doubt...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hao362)
    but the royal family is a big tourist attraction therefore they also bring in money
    OR

buckingham palace and places are tourist attractions and would be regardless of whether the monarchy are there or not.

ReputationRep:
    the same polls that said the Lib Dems would win the election at one point no doubt...
    The polls on the monarchy tend to be more or less consistent, though.

ReputationRep:
    OR

buckingham palace and places are tourist attractions and would be regardless of whether the monarchy are there or not.
    I can't see many people wanting to stand outside Buck House without a Queen, it's a ghastly, drab building

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    The polls on the monarchy tend to be more or less consistent, though.
    im sure pollls on slavery and racism also were before the movements against them gained momentum as well.

ReputationRep:
    I can't see many people wanting to stand outside Buck House without a Queen, it's a ghastly, drab building
    thats odd, given that barely any tourists ever see the monarchy, just the buildings and stuff.

do people not visit the roman baths because the romans arent there?

do people avoid castles because the owners are long dead?

no, of course not, if you think people go to these places because the occupants are still there you fail to understand peoples intrest in either history or landmarks completley.

ReputationRep:
    They will never ever get rid of the monarchy for 2 reasons, they bring in billions. Number 2 you cant because shes head of state and you can't get rid of the royals because its impossible (well not impossible) but its never going to happen because it needs to be a civil war for that to happen which isnt going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no great supporter of the monarchy, but abolishing it in favour of a republic on cost grounds would be silly. Republics are notoriously opposed to revealing the costs of the presidents.

As for the peaceful student protests, I support them absolutely. Costs should be cut in other areas. Prince Charles is all too willing to let us know what he thinks about climate change, it would be nice to know what he thinks of the tuition fee increases. Or preferably, he should keep out of politics as his mother has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    Really?! You think average Joe picking up todays newspapers littered with it on the front page is going to have anymore sympathy? A fair few working people already moan about "bloody students" I can't imagine any of the violence or damage in London yesterday is going to result in anything other than less sympathy from the general public
    I thought 'any publicity is good publicity' for any movement with an un-politically correct idea

ReputationRep:
    thats odd, given that barely any tourists ever see the monarchy, just the buildings and stuff.

do people not visit the roman baths because the romans arent there?

do people avoid castles because the owners are long dead?

no, of course not, if you think people go to these places because the occupants are still there you fail to understand peoples intrest in either history or landmarks completley.
    Well, no, but that's because Roman ruins and castles are unique and are attractive because of a general appeal, and more specifically, their aesthetic nature. Castles are unusual and hark back to a romantic age of knights and chivalry, for example. Buck House really isn't unique and as a building isn't particularly attractive - there are tons of other examples in London which people don't pay particular attention to. People are attracted to Buckingham Palace because it's the residence of a living, breathing monarchy, which is unusual in this day and age.

The equivalent to Buck House in France isn't Versailles - it's the Élysée Palace.

ReputationRep:
    Well, no, but that's because Roman ruins and castles are unique and are attractive because of a general appeal, and more specifically, their aesthetic nature. Castles are unusual and hark back to a romantic age of knights and chivalry, for example. Buck House really isn't unique and as a building isn't particularly attractive - there are tons of other examples in London which people don't pay particular attention to. People are attracted to Buckingham Palace because it's the residence of a living, breathing monarchy, which is unusual in this day and age.

The equivalent to Buck House in France isn't Versailles - it's the Élysée Palace.
    cute, would you like a virtual straw to clutch at? can easily get a pic for you

your argument is desperate at best, if you have one that isnt just "I think they go for this reason even though it makes no sense for this to be the case when compared to other historical places people go", then by all means, reply, if not then dont waste my time.

...Castles are unusual and hark back to a romantic age of knights and chivalry, for example...
    Sorry for going off-topic, but it's more accurate to suggest the medieval period as being subsequently romanticised. When you look at the actual history you don't see much 'romance' or 'chivalry', that is something which tory historians and hollywood have pretty much invented. Royals and nobles of past eras were mostly vicious and/or money-grubbing (that's how power was obtained and maintained in that period). And, I'd love to know how often these medieval 'handsome knights' and 'fair ladies' had a bath; without looking it up I'd bet on not more than once a year at best

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.