Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

20 year old student admitted to hospital with bleeding on the brain Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Key word IF

Got any proof for that?
    I agree that is the key word, but as I have said, we live in a society where you are innocent unless proven otherwise, so I find it very worrying that so many on here are so quick to say that he deserved it.

As for proof, I don't think there is anything specific, but there have been so many cases of injury or death due to police actions, yet the IPCC does nothing. And in 2008 over 100 lawyers resigned from police complaints cases due to how biased the IPCC seemed to be. Plus some of the investigators within the IPCC are ex coppers, hardly fair.
    And have a look at this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7973120.stm.
    I realise that the work the IPCC does must be incredibly difficult, and it can't be helped by people making false accusations (which I do realise happens). However, it does seem as if they are biased towards the police.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    I agree that is the key word, but as I have said, we live in a society where you are innocent unless proven otherwise, so I find it very worrying that so many on here are so quick to say that he deserved it.

As for proof, I don't think there is anything specific, but there have been so many cases of injury or death due to police actions, yet the IPCC does nothing. And in 2008 over 100 lawyers resigned from police complaints cases due to how biased the IPCC seemed to be. Plus some of the investigators within the IPCC are ex coppers, hardly fair.
    And have a look at this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7973120.stm.
    I realise that the work the IPCC does must be incredibly difficult, and it can't be helped by people making false accusations (which I do realise happens). However, it does seem as if they are biased towards the police.

In the letter IPCC Chair Nick Hardwick acknowledged some cases could have been handled differently its infancy, but pointed out that despite repeated requests for the group to provide contemporary examples where expectations had not been met, there had been no further cases identified.

Seems hard to believe how genuine those complaints are if they would not provide evidence or case examples.

ReputationRep:
    People here have no respect for the police. People should fear them, that would cut a lot of crime.

ReputationRep:
    Simple problem:

Trouble maker pops along to the protests, commits a "hit and run" on a police officer. Then just dissappears within the crowd.

Police officer who was hit then lashes out (normal reaction) and ends up hitting one or maybe more persons who don't want to be in that position.

These people after being hit by the police will obviously react (again its natural to react after being hit) thus dragging peaceful protesters into violence. I saw it time after time on Thursday.

Now you almost can't blame either side to an extent, as again, if you're punched/hit with something you are going to react. But surely the Police after all their "super duper" training should be professional enough not to lash out?

It's a strange 'un.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hex1986)
    Is that all you can resort to? You're pathetic.

I'd like to stand you behind a police officer on the frontline who is being attacked by metal bars/fences/fists/flares/petrol bombs/tins of paint - I don't think you'd be shouting: "No, don't hit the students, that's wrong!" then would you?
    7 posts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swell)
    Simple problem:

Trouble maker pops along to the protests, commits a "hit and run" on a police officer. Then just dissappears within the crowd.

Police officer who was hit then lashes out (normal reaction) and ends up hitting one or maybe more persons who don't want to be in that position.

These people after being hit by the police will obviously react (again its natural to react after being hit) thus dragging peaceful protesters into violence. I saw it time after time on Thursday.

Now you almost can't blame either side to an extent, as again, if you're punched/hit with something you are going to react. But surely the Police after all their "super duper" training should be professional enough not to lash out?

It's a strange 'un.

Also if they didn't kettle people then the majority of people would just leave and if there are people causing trouble go and get them and arrest them. Don't anger people by not letting to out of an area. People were repeatedly told to go to so and so street on thursday so that they could leave. Those areas were then blocked and you weren't allowed to leave, which angers people more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caritas)
    People here have no respect for the police. People should fear them, that would cut a lot of crime.
    Police are there to protect people not scare them into submission

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMG89)
    Police are there to protect people not scare them into submission
    I've seen is a bunch of morons smash police vans, set fire to things and generally cause trouble. Maybe if the police were allowed to give such people a good beating they wouldn't behave like that.

I doubt this person's totally innocent. It's like that rock star's son who was on LSD and just running riot. He was there because he gives a **** about fees (daddy has £78 million), it was just to have some fun aggravating the police, and because of people like him future protests will be policed a lot more heavily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMG89)
    Also if they didn't kettle people then the majority of people would just leave and if there are people causing trouble go and get them and arrest them. Don't anger people by not letting to out of an area. People were repeatedly told to go to so and so street on thursday so that they could leave. Those areas were then blocked and you weren't allowed to leave, which angers people more.
    Yeh at one point i'm sure the Police were shouting at the protesters to move towards Victoria Street? Anyway the majority of protesters eventually did, but as they started moving over the Police then went on to block that route. So it was a bit like eh?

(Original post by Caritas)
    I've seen is a bunch of morons smash police vans, set fire to things and generally cause trouble. Maybe if the police were allowed to give such people a good beating they wouldn't behave like that.
    Resulting in more and more people hating the police, resulting in more and more people attacking the police "giving them a taste of their own medicine".

If the police use more violence in their work, it'd mean the protesters/public etc would use more violence. People would fight fire with fire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    stupid guy deserved it for rioting then, we cant just let people like him smash up things without getting what they deserve.
    You would support summary execution as a legitimate punishment for civil disobedience?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Personally i fined the actions of the rioters on thursday absolutely abhorent, because that is what it was, a riot, not a protest and 80% of people close enougth to police lines to get hit, fully deserved what they got, there were plenty of police also taken to hospital. All the police did was react to the student violence, therefore i think it is 70% student blame, 30% police blame.

Ultimately, protests the previous week saw no violence and most people were happy, but the first and last protests were appaling and i agree with those who say they are ashamed to be associated with those rioters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Personally i fined the actions of the rioters on thursday absolutely abhorent, because that is what it was, a riot, not a protest and 80% of people close enougth to police lines to get hit, fully deserved what they got
    1 - Where the hell did you pluck that figure out of? Apart from thin air.
    2 - Even you admitted theres a decent chance the guy who is now in hospital was totally innocent. So how is it far he has the chance of brain injury?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    7 posts?
    Sorry, didn't realise the fact that I only have a count of 7 posts somehow makes my opinion less valid than someone with a higher post count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    You would support summary execution as a legitimate punishment for civil disobedience?
    It's not about punishment - it's about police officers being able to defend themselves against a mob baying for blood, throwing metal fences, petrol bombs, tins of paint and assaulting them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hex1986)
    Sorry, didn't realise the fact that I only have a count of 7 posts somehow makes my opinion less valid than someone with a higher post count?
    I don't recall saying that.

I questioned why you would have an account and hardly use it but what makes this thread so special?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    It's good to see that this generation of students have some backbone and sense of solidarity, isn't it?
    I have to say that I am supportive of what the students are doing.

I personally enjoyed the benefits of a free university education and I don't see why they should be denied the same thing.

How is it the UK can find billions for various lost and idiotic causes and even chuck 3 billion at Ireland to save them from their own financial mismanagement (an obligation, if indeed one exists, which surely belongs to the Euroclub, not the UK) and yet is suddenly strapped for cash when it comes to giving young people a decent education?

It's a shame that the NUS aren't in solidarity with their members though. That Porter fellow is a disgrace and should face an immediate vote of no confidence.

And that pillock that was swinging off the cenetaph....what's his beef exactly? His old man has a personal wealth of 70million so he's hardly going to be facing much hardship is he? Solidarity with his fellow students maybe?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.