Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's your reason for living? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am here by result of complex biological chemistry. I have no particular reason for living, and I wallow in that fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    SoulfulBoy, after reading your thread I have come to the conclusion that you actually want other people to die and are encouraging them to take their own lives (without much success). Why is this? Your state of mind is rather worrying.

Either that or you are a troll.
    My lovely CharlieBee, my mind is worsening everyday but the question talks by itself. Life needs a reason. Existence does not. Simple. The main purpose of inanimate things is not having one. The main purpose of living things is creating life. Humans are an exception to this latter. Humans cannot live without a purpose (living by its very nature needs a purpose) but they have not had to create life in the biological sense. Humans choose what they want to be and that's the reason of their living. Am I clear, my lovely CharlieBee?
    My reason for living is learning to love you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    Yes it is. Nothing wrong with that. Hedonism doesn't necessarily imply selfishness of short sightedness.

I studied hard at school/uni, I take good care of my friends and family, I do voluntary work for a charity every week - simply because it makes me feel happy.

You didn't answer my question.
    You study hard at school because of your future not because it makes you happy. :rolleyes: What makes you happy is the vision of a better future by studying hard not studying itself. You take care of your family because of bounds wich are source of your feeling of safeness and feeling of being loved. You also do voluntary work because of the good impression that it leaves when you say what you did and when people read it from your CV. It's highly debatable if that can be called happiness or a modern complex way of self-deception towards conformity.
    Hedonism does not imply selfishness but implies a way of evasion from reality. It is, as love, as hate, based on a existential problem and the best way to resolve it.
    My reason for living is learning what love for life means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    Err.... I dunno. Feels pretty pointless at the moment. But there are so many things I want to do, that I haven't done yet..
    You will never do them. Don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    you seem to be implying that if you don't have a really good reason not to you should kill your self.
    but most people its unless you have a really good reason not to you should live. and that's why all of these people you are telling there reasons aren't really any good and other things like that are still alive
    Is you reason trolling in TSR?:rolleyes: You must have a reason or you are going to be pretty soon.:rolleyes: Simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_habib)
    can you worship God when you are dead:rolleyes:
    Of course, you can love God either in Hell or in Heaven.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScrubZ)
    How would you measure happiness?
    Interesting. Can I give you one to you? What's the point in measuring happiness? Those who are don't need doing it and those who aren't will not get anywhere by doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TWF)
    It all seems like work, work, work at the moment. That is pretty much the basis of life, work to get a good job, work your job until you get old.
    I love your sentence. The shortcut to happiness should be not working, at least in the economical sense of the word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atherton92)
    I am here by result of complex biological chemistry. I have no particular reason for living, and I wallow in that fact.
    That complex biological chemistry was possible by love. And you have been thrown on a crossroad. You can live or exist. You need a reason for the first and absolutely nothing for the second one.

ReputationRep:
    You are not inferior

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bowman.Hath)
    You are not inferior
    Soka.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    Soka.
    Dont speak Japanese, sorry

ReputationRep:
    Life is for living - if you are not happy, change something.

Make the effort to do something that does make you happy. Everyone has something by definition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bowman.Hath)
    Dont speak Japanese, sorry
    Soka.

ReputationRep:
    Soka.
    Your're a soka

ReputationRep:
    Technically speaking existence by itsels is a meaning. If you think about it the main goal of all living things is to reproduct ... as far as we know only the human kind asked himself the question " Why ? ". If you ask me about that ....well I don't know the reason why we need to reproduct and continue to live. Maybe there is a higher power/god or w/e but somehow I doubt this so called "reason" will care much about me.

But come on... how can you ask that: The reason for living?

Mehh... well what is in life that you don't like ? The point of view is what matters. I try to enjoy my life even if it is grey and boring there are those few moments that make my days. Sometimes that moment is a song, sometimes it is a conversation, the laugh of a woman,the smile of my sister or niece and the list goes and goes.....

I just love life you know? ..... so No , no suicide for me

ReputationRep:
    You study hard at school because of your future not because it makes you happy. :rolleyes: What makes you happy is the vision of a better future by studying hard not studying itself.
    I can see how you might think that. Lots of people do justify their actions only on grounds of delayed gratification. Lots of people hate school and uni and constantly think 'when I've done this THEN I'll finally be happy'.

I do actually enjoy the studying itself believe it or not. I enjoy learning for the sake of self-improvement and satisfying my curiosity. I enjoy concentrating on a problem completely, being totally absorbed and losing myself in it.

My degree hasn't really improved my career prospects that much if I'm being honest.

You also do voluntary work because of the good impression that it leaves when you say what you did and when people read it from your CV
    Its not on my CV actually. I really did mean it when I said I do it just because it makes me happy.

Its not a chore or a sacrifice. I do it because it leaves me feeling happy - similar to how someone might spend time every week playing tennis or something.

It's highly debatable if that can be called happiness or a modern complex way of self-deception towards conformity.
    :confused:

Not sure what you mean there. If its self-deception I don't reallly care - I can't tell the difference from 'real happiness' (whatever you think that is)

Hedonism does not imply selfishness but implies a way of evasion from reality.
    I'd argue that hedonism is the only way to embrace reality.

I've had my fair share of existential ennui too and being critical and cynical about life is surely more like evasion from reality than actually getting on with living and experiencing life, isn't it?

It is, as love, as hate, based on a existential problem and the best way to resolve it.
    I'm still not convinced that there is a problem. You don't 'need' a reason to live. You just are. You do things because the lump of matter called your brain causes you to do them.

My reason for living is learning what love for life means.
    Thats cool but the question I asked was what's your definition of 'happiness'?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. Can I give you one to you? What's the point in measuring happiness? Those who are don't need doing it and those who aren't will not get anywhere by doing that.
    It would benefit some people. Knowing you're a happy person is a great confidence boost and in the long run will make you more successful - happy individuals are predisposed to seek out and undertake new goals in life and this reinforces positive emotions. Also, others who realise they aren't happy may decide to seek happiness and in turn will feel more fulfilled in life by doing so. Real happiness can be found by having meaning in your life, which can be found through feeling like you belong to something, which is why having close relationships with family and friends is so important - to make you feel you belong.

How would you rate how happy you are on a scale of 1-10?

ReputationRep:
    In the hope that life will someday get a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    To live and learn I guess

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.