The Student Room Group

Why do so many people take MDMA?

Scroll to see replies

Best thing I've ever done in my life tbh. Nothing can beat the feeling the first time you do it, or the second for that matter.
Original post by MilfsSonsFriend
Best thing I've ever done in my life tbh. Nothing can beat the feeling the first time you do it, or the second for that matter.

So true, i remember my first time.. it was a truly beautiful feeling, it changed my whole perspective on life.

If the world leaders sat down and all dropped some mdma, they'd sort all their problems out lol
Original post by Spetznaaz
You planning on doing mdma for the first time mate? Must of missed it, big thread lol.

You've probably already been given advice, but just in case:

Do not EVER take mdma if you are on anti depressants, if they are MAOI's it would be highly likely that you would die from serotonin syndrome.

Make sure the md you use is actually md. It should be crystals, usually opaque/clear, but you do get various colours (it's just dye used by dealers). They should be fairly hard, but crush into a white powder between your fingers. The taste is extremely bitter, but not as bitter as speed. It should smell strongly of aniseed.

If it's your first time you want to be very careful on the dose. Assuming it's pure mdma, i would go for a 80mg dose (threshold is 40), bomb it, don't snort it. A typical dose is between 100-200, but 200mg of pure, is EXTREMELY intense, the come up would most likely cause you to have a panic attack. See how that effects you, and if it's all good, top up with say 100mg 2-3 hours later.

Don't do more than 500mg (half a gram) in one night. Half a gram of pure is a very heavy night, so depending on how health concious you are, i'd say 400mg limit.

Don't do it more than once a month - personally i'd say 2-3 times a year max, but i'm quite health concious.

Before you do it, take 5-htp supplements and vitamin e 3-4 days beforehand every day, but no 5-htp the day you do the mdma. Take 5-htp and vitamin e when you are fully come down.

Many studies have shown these supplements give massive protection against any potential neurotoxicity of mdma, and they made the come down a lot less bad. The 5-htp basically replenishes the serotonin you used up the night before.

Do not mix with alcohol or any other drugs (apart from cannabis on the come down if you smoke).

If you are at a rave, take regular breaks from dancing - you won't feel like you need to, but make sure you do. Drink water, but not to much. Sip it, if your sitting around doing nothing you don't need to drink loads, if your dancing you will be losing water, so you will need to drink more, but be very careful not to drink too much.

The biggest risks of mdma are drinking too much or too little water. Isotonic drinks are best as they replace the lost sodium.

Be aware of the risks, there are risks. It's highly unlikely to die from mdma, and as long as you remain safe, and take the above advice the chances of anything bad happening are very slim - however, it would be negligent of me not to mention that very rarely someone can have a bad reaction to mdma, and suffer from serotonin syndrome.

I do not know the risk of this happening if you are not on anti depressants, but i do know it's very rare.

They say 1 in 50,000 people die from mdma, i assume this includes people who take it while on anti depressants, people who die from being silly and drinking too much or too little, or mixing with other drugs.

Most importantly, don't take mdma, or any other drug, if you have a history of mental health problems in your family.

Stay safe :smile:

This is good advice for a first timer.
I wish someone had told me all this the 1st time I tried recreational drugs.

I took way too much, had a massive hit and almost ended up with a panic attack - lucky for me some of my mates noticed and calmed me down as they knew what was happening. Still...didn't put me off trying again...

I do have a q tho. The taking vitamin e for a few days before...whats the purpose? I can't quite place it...?

Plus I would say most people are in more danger of not drinking enough, rather than drinking too much.
Me and my mates usually fill up one of those 2litre cider bottles with water and share it.
You planning on doing mdma for the first time mate? Must of missed it, big thread lol.

Do not EVER take mdma if you are on anti depressants, if they are MAOI's it would be highly likely that you would die from serotonin syndrome.

Make sure the md you use is actually md. It should be crystals, usually opaque/clear, but you do get various colours (it's just dye used by dealers). They should be fairly hard, but crush into a white powder between your fingers. The taste is extremely bitter, but not as bitter as speed. It should smell strongly of aniseed.

If it's your first time you want to be very careful on the dose. Assuming it's pure mdma, i would go for a 80mg dose (threshold is 40), bomb it, don't snort it. A typical dose is between 100-200, but 200mg of pure, is EXTREMELY intense, the come up would most likely cause you to have a panic attack. See how that effects you, and if it's all good, top up with say 100mg 2-3 hours later.

Don't do more than 500mg (half a gram) in one night. Half a gram of pure is a very heavy night, so depending on how health concious you are, i'd say 400mg limit.

Don't do it more than once a month - personally i'd say 2-3 times a year max, but i'm quite health concious.

Before you do it, take 5-htp supplements and vitamin e 3-4 days beforehand every day, but no 5-htp the day you do the mdma. Take 5-htp and vitamin e when you are fully come down.

Many studies have shown these supplements give massive protection against any potential neurotoxicity of mdma, and they made the come down a lot less bad. The 5-htp basically replenishes the serotonin you used up the night before.

Do not mix with alcohol or any other drugs (apart from cannabis on the come down if you smoke).

If you are at a rave, take regular breaks from dancing - you won't feel like you need to, but make sure you do. Drink water, but not to much. Sip it, if your sitting around doing nothing you don't need to drink loads, if your dancing you will be losing water, so you will need to drink more, but be very careful not to drink too much.

The biggest risks of mdma are drinking too much or too little water. Isotonic drinks are best as they replace the lost sodium.

Be aware of the risks, there are risks. It's highly unlikely to die from mdma, and as long as you remain safe, and take the above advice the chances of anything bad happening are very slim - however, it would be negligent of me not to mention that very rarely someone can have a bad reaction to mdma, and suffer from serotonin syndrome.

I do not know the risk of this happening if you are not on anti depressants, but i do know it's very rare.

They say 1 in 50,000 people die from mdma, i assume this includes people who take it while on anti depressants, people who die from being silly and drinking too much or too little, or mixing with other drugs.

Most importantly, don't take mdma, or any other drug, if you have a history of mental health problems in your family.

I wouldn't recommend taking 5-HTP prior because he will probably get it wrong and get serotonin syndrome? Also, to test if you have an allergy serious enough to kill you you can rub some inside your lips and wait 5 minutes - if they swell up you're seriously allergic.
Reply 144
Original post by ArcaneAnna

I took way too much, had a massive hit and almost ended up with a panic attack - lucky for me some of my mates noticed and calmed me down as they knew what was happening. Still...didn't put me off trying again...

I do have a q tho. The taking vitamin e for a few days before...whats the purpose? I can't quite place it...?

Plus I would say most people are in more danger of not drinking enough, rather than drinking too much.
Me and my mates usually fill up one of those 2litre cider bottles with water and share it.

Just stick to a pint per hour and be religious about it. If it is a super hot sweaty environment you can probably go a little bit over, but rests are more important for that. I usually just soak my face in it, it feels good and it cools you down.

Here's some info on pre and post loading:
http://media.enlighten.org.au/literature/pre.post.loading.pdf
(edited 13 years ago)

I read a few studies which showed that, in mice anyway, taking vitamin e before using mdma prevented neurotoxicity.

You'd be surprised on the water thing, a lot of people mix it with alcohol, so they are taking a diuretic and a drug which stops them pissing.. very bad combination. Both are important, it's not difficult to judge though :smile:

Original post by Anonymous
I wouldn't recommend taking 5-HTP prior because he will probably get it wrong and get serotonin syndrome? Also, to test if you have an allergy serious enough to kill you you can rub some inside your lips and wait 5 minutes - if they swell up you're seriously allergic.

I did specify not to take the 5-htp on the day of the mdma, it is possible that 5-htp and mdma could lead to serotonin syndrome, but you'd need to do it the same time as the mdma, and more than one pill. Taking 5-htp in the days before your mdma use makes the come downs a lot less severe, and helps prevent some of the unhealthyness of the md on the brain.

And yea, that's a good idea to test before doing a bomb, shoulda included that :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

haha Dummy's Guide to MDMA :biggrin: Thank you so much for all the advice! Would you recommend that I drink a glass of an isotonic drink every hour instead of water?
So true, i remember my first time.. it was a truly beautiful feeling, it changed my whole perspective on life.

If the world leaders sat down and all dropped some mdma, they'd sort all their problems out lol

Wana share a gram son? I haven't had any in ages....
Original post by tripleeagle
haha Dummy's Guide to MDMA :biggrin: Thank you so much for all the advice! Would you recommend that I drink a glass of an isotonic drink every hour instead of water?

Na mate have a cup of tea. You will be tripping your absolute nuts of boy, probably won't be able to see your hands let alone your isotonic drink.

How much you do lol? I did over a gram in less than hour the 2nd time i did mdma, and that panick attack feeling is not very nice at all.

edit: my mate I was taking it with was in his room at the time, and I was in the SU and some foreign student calmed me down lol.
(edited 13 years ago)
Wouldn't it be a lot easier and safer, if you could buy this at the chemists, with a leaflet inside giving proper advice on how to take it, and no danger of having impurities mixed it. With a bit of tax going to the public purse, rather than lining the pockets of criminals.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Wouldn't it be a lot easier and safer, if you could buy this at the chemists, with a leaflet inside giving proper advice on how to take it, and no danger of having impurities mixed it. With a bit of tax going to the public purse, rather than lining the pockets of criminals.

It would indeed Sir. Should be able get it on prescription for depression imo :tongue:
Original post by donuticus
I'm not aware of anyone who spent their life wishing they had done fewr things.

Like any experience, don't do it on your own.

You try most things once. There are obviously exceptions to this. MDMA is undoubtedly safer than most other drugs, both legal and illegal.

It's a pretty amazing experience but if you don't enjoy it at least you tried it. Nothing annoys me more in life than people saying something is awful/terrible/destroying society yet have never tried anything themselves.

And to those out there who don't drink/smoke/take drugs/have caffeineted drinks etc. what the hell do you actually do?

We have fun regardless :biggrin: It's just my preference that I prefer to have a clear head on a night out so I dont drink (and due to personal reasons) , I don't do drugs because I dont want to, and I don't like the taste of cigarettes, but also can't smoke, I just look like an idiot when doing it. aslong as i'm having fun dancing/singing my heart out with my friends or the bf then i'm having a good time :smile:
Oh it's a DRUG! I thought it was a qualification when I read the thread title! :teehee:
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
Either way, someone should definitely slip some in HIS bext bottle of VK :biggrin:

Aha!
Original post by tripleeagle

As i say it all depends on whether you are exerting yourself or not, 1 or 2 isotonic drinks across the night plus water when you feel thirsty. The key is to sip it, and just stay aware of how long you've been dancing and how much you've been drinking.

Don't worry, the good thing about mdma is, as soon as the initial come up has passed and you peak, you will have absolutely no worry in the world, you won't feel anxious, and you'll be easily able to manage your drink as long as you are sensible :smile:

Also, if you can, try and go for a piss when you feel you need to. It is extremely difficult near impossible, but you just got try and completely relax, and close your eyes and imagine running water lol

Wana share a gram son? I haven't had any in ages....

Lol i did some not too long ago, giving it a break, nye if i go to a rave, it's gonna get messy lol

How much you do lol? I did over a gram in less than hour the 2nd time i did mdma, and that panick attack feeling is not very nice at all.

edit: my mate I was taking it with was in his room at the time, and I was in the SU and some foreign student calmed me down lol.

If you did over a gram of pure mdma in less than an hour, you would of got close to overdosing, and you would of been unable to do anything but gurn, your eyes would be rolled back in your head completely, and you wouldn't remember much at all.

200mg is a VERY strong dose in most people, and that would last 3-4 hours before you started coming down and needed a small top up. 200mg is too much even, you want the level where you feel ****ing amazing and wanna dance, not the level where your a gurning mess - i mean i've been the gurning mess before, and you do just sit there, but it's like an amazing constant orgasm lol but not good for the old brain i'd imagine, and sort of wastes the night and takes the piss a bit.

Original post by MagicNMedicine

Hell yea.

So many lives would be saved, if you could just buy 100% pure mdma, with safety leaflets, and better education in schools to back it up. I would say 99.9% of deaths from mdma could have been avoided if proper education and pure md were made available.

**** that though, the alcohol companies would lose big bucks - hence why they are the ones who funded the leah betts campaign - you know, the girl who died from drinking too much water while on mdma because her mates pretty much forced her to drink it cause they knew **** all about drugs.

Original post by La Esmerelda
Am I just weird then? I've tried mdma loads and have never seemed to have an amazing time...maybe I don't take enough??

Hmmm, it is possible to have a very high natural tolerance. Maybe it's **** stuff, or not md at all that you have tried, or maybe the doses were too small...

Edit - one very important bit of advice i forgot to mention - you need chewing gum and lots of it.. or a pacifier. Anything to stop you gurning - it feels amazing doing it but it proper ****s your teeth up, and you wake up in the morning with ulcers all over your cheeks and tongue.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by La Esmerelda
Possibly-I always get really paranoid and take small amounts-but I worry about overdosing. Last time I actually dry retched while on it but perhaps I'm taking it in the wrong environment-bar one time I've always taken it in a chilled environment with friends which is where I think I'm going wrong. Until I took it at a rave last time I never realised that it was something that could keep me dancing for hours (though when I sat down I didn't wanna dance anymore).
One more thing I'm quite a small, slim girl so I worry that even taking half a gram at once could be potentially fatal...what do people think? Sorry to hijack the thread!

Half a gram!? That would be a HUUUGE amount in one go. You could possibly od on that amount but it's unlikely, but still a huge amount to take.

You probably want 100mg (0.1 grams), bombed, if your small then that should be pretty intense, assuming the mdma is pure that is, which these days is very hard to come by.

Oh and mixing it with alcohol dulls the experience greatly (and is very risky).

An overdose on mdma for me (185lbs) would be about 1.8 grams, so as long as your not taking more than 200mg a bomb and doing 500mg in total for a night, you won't od on that kind of amount.

Edit - also yea thats what it does, you get really energetic, and like waves of energy, then you'll dance, then wanna sit down, and not wanna dance anymore, and a mate will say let's go dance, and you'll stand up and suddenly get a new rush of energy, it's great lol
(edited 13 years ago)

This was like 4 years ago - and I was quite keen on ket at the time, of which I used to take quite a considerable amount - so when I got me hands on md, I just sorted myself a, what I concidered, a 'normal' line.
Hence probably 1/4 gram [+/-]...and for a first time it was a bit much.
Reply 158
Original post by natashapt
We have fun regardless :biggrin: It's just my preference that I prefer to have a clear head on a night out so I dont drink (and due to personal reasons) , I don't do drugs because I dont want to, and I don't like the taste of cigarettes, but also can't smoke, I just look like an idiot when doing it. aslong as i'm having fun dancing/singing my heart out with my friends or the bf then i'm having a good time :smile:

If that's you in your picture, you're fit, so you're excused.
Surprisingly unbiased and pretty interesting documentary about e from a respected journalist ecstasy rising

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending