Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If London was destroyed, which city should be Britain's new capital? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TWF)
    The only reason people seem to pick Manchester is because it's ''nicer''. And Leeds ahead of Birmingham? That takes the pee, can't take you seriously now.

No substance whatsoever, since even if you widen Manchester's boundaries, the population still wouldn't be as big as Birmingham's. Birmingham is 2nd city in everyway, it has greater GDP than Manchester, greater pupulation, greater size.... I don't base it on which city is nicer, but the fact of the matter.
    But population and economic value do not determine where the capital goes. Canberra is not the largest or richest city in Australia, Brasilia is not the largest or richest city in Brazil, Washington is not the largest or richest city in USA - the list goes on.

The one thing all capital cities have in common is that politics happens there. For that reason Cardiff would be the most sensible choice because it has a large and modern political venue, not to mention it already has capital status.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Bristol.
    AGREED!

ReputationRep:
    Crossmaglen.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse)
    Well you don't need to have your guard up.. against me anyway
    I'm Anonymous- btw
    Your anonymous....I don't understand :s you got two usernames or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Your anonymous....I don't understand :s you got two usernames or something?
    Just to be absolutely sure you understand..
    Yes I have two usernames..
    "Anonymous-" Notice the (-) at the end.

and

"Converse" The one I'm on now.

But I'll be using this one from now on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Rose Bowl)
    Were all those pictures suppost to be Cardiff? Im sure that John Lewis is the Liverpool one lol.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Not Birmingham for sure. Although you could argue that some part of London's culture would be transferred to the city making it less of a **** hole than it is already.
    I'm going to go with Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    the capital of whatever country nuked us. (after we turn their entire population to dust of course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impossible!)
    Were all those pictures suppost to be Cardiff? Im sure that John Lewis is the Liverpool one lol.
    Yep they're all Cardiff. Here is a pic of the John Lewis one being built last year. You can just make out the words "Cardiff library" on the building to the right.

ReputationRep:
    manchester you cocks

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff rocks

ReputationRep:
    If London was destroyed, in peacetime (say, by a comet) or wartime, everything would be going to hell in a handbasket.

So the new capital will be underground somewhere and not many people will be getting in!

ReputationRep:
    we should colonise somewhere in africa and create a new capital. hot weather + british architecture + eggs and bacon = AMAZING

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff or Edinburgh as the new capital of the UK. They have the political venues already and set up. I think Cardiff would probably be the best bet.

As for the new capital city of England. Somewhere with at least a little bit of culture so Birmingham is out. Possibly Manchester? York, Oxford or Cambridge would be lovely but destroying the surrounding countryside in the expansion that would probably occur is a huge con. (Manchester is already pretty damn big.)

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh or Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    Manhester or York.

Couldn't see it being a Welsh or Sottish city, due to them having their own parliaments there.

ReputationRep:
    Cockermouth, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Is B'ham's GDP greater than that of Greater Manchester?

If you want to compare Manchester to other cities, you have to use either Greater Manchester, or if not that then the Manchester Urban Area. I've already told you that the City of Manchester only refers to the central part of the urban area.

And as for Leeds, well, Leeds is the UK's biggest financial, business and legal centre outside of London.
    Birmingham is a smaller area than Greater Manchester. Comparing the Greater Manchester area to a single city doesn't even make sense. Compare Greater Manchester to Birmingham+Wolverhampton+Dudley+ Walsall+Solihull+West Bromwich, which is virtually Greater Birmingham, GM's equivalent. I'm sure if you crop out an enire area around Birmingham, the size of Greater Manchester the area around Birmingham would still come out of top. But you don't hear me complaining about why these ''towns'' are not included as part of Birmingham, it's a simple fact to comprehend, they're a seperate area, not a part of your favourite city.

I stand by my opinion regardless. Birmingham should be capital.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.