Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are people so ignorant about suicide and depression? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    I wasn't implying that suicide is a desirable outcome, I was simply trying to dispell the idea that it is 'weak' or 'cowardly'. People are not often diagnosed with these illnesses and others like them as soon as symptoms appear, thus they are vulnerable to suicide before any treatment options have been opened up to them.

I'm not being antagonistic or trying to start an e-fight, I'm just defending my corner.
    Ok maybe 'weak' was a harsh word. But people who want to kill themselves have some sort of mental problem, society shouldnt let mental people kill themselves. Either treat them, or send them to the asylum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Suicide- the easy way out. Suicide is for cowards and those who kill themselves didnt deserve life (not talking about euthanasia/assisted suicide)
    People who feel suicidal can feel like they have no control over their lives. Its very easy to judge something that you are not familiar with. Suicide is not only a result of bio-chemical and cognitive dysfunctions, but in some cases due to scenarios that are even more beyond your control. A family friend tried on many occasions to take his life. Everyday he suffered from excruciating pain arising from an acute form of arthritis that even string medication didnt do a very good job of stopping. He was once a high flying journalist who was then confined to a bed and dependent on those around him. Considering that he was a fiercely independent guy, I suspect he often felt strong guilt as he was under the impression that he was a burden, of which of course he was not. How, with your "I'm going to tackle all problems head on and judge those who find it hard to cope" attitude would you have tackled the problems he faced?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    Taking your own life is a cowards way out
    repeating lame catch phrases that attempt to simplify a complex situation (which by the way, says more about your intelligence and scope of mind then it does of the bravado that you wish to portray) is the ignorant tool's way out......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    People who feel suicidal can feel like they have no control over their lives. Its very easy to judge something that you are not familiar with. Suicide is not only a result of bio-chemical and cognitive dysfunctions, but in some cases due to scenarios that are even more beyond your control. A family friend tried on many occasions to take his life. Everyday he suffered from excruciating pain arising from an acute form of arthritis that even string medication didnt do a very good job of stopping. He was once a high flying journalist who was then confined to a bed and dependent on those around him. Considering that he was a fiercely independent guy, I suspect he often felt strong guilt as he was under the impression that he was a burden, of which of course he was not. How, with your "I'm going to tackle all problems head on and judge those who find it hard to cope" attitude would you have tackled the problems he faced?
    In that case that sounds more like euthanasia could be used, especially if he couldnt be treated and was in constant pain. Ive no problem with suicide in these situations where quality of life is poor and treatment isnt available.
    Its the depressed, schizo people (and other mentally unstable people) who commit suicide that i have problems with

ReputationRep:
    It is always a shame when people prefer to comfort their own ego rather then take a second to try and care about the welfare of others.

ReputationRep:
    In that case that sounds more like euthanasia could be used, especially if he couldnt be treated and was in constant pain. Ive no problem with suicide in these situations where quality of life is poor and treatment isnt available.
    Its the depressed, schizo people (and other mentally unstable people) who commit suicide that i have problems with
    May I ask why you see such a difference between physical and mental pain?

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand, are you defending people (who can be treated) killing themselves? Why? If someone goes to kill themselves after help was given than obviously we've been wasting our time. If the person still kills themself after help is given they were a waste of time and society is probably better off without these people. Survival of the fittest, and if the weak dont want to be helped, than they leave them to take the easy way out.

Surely you must agree with the principals behind euthanasia (even if its different in practive. I agree with euthanasia because there is a difference between killing someone with no quality of life who probably cant be treated, and someone with 'depression' or 'schizophrenia' killing themselves.
    I only disagree with you because some people can't be treated, and it not up to anyone else but them to say if they are being treated correctly/can be treated and what to degree they feel it works.
    Sometimes the 'help' that is given can hinder, if you have been through the mental health system you would understand, there are many ignorant and under qualified nurses and inadequate help centers out there. Everyone is entitled to to help, regardless of whether you believe they have been 'helped enough' in the past.

If a close family member or friend committed suicide, would you still feel that it would be justified and they were as waste of space?

Also yes, in a perfect world the system for euthanasia would be without bugs. So I agree in principal. Although why do you pick and choose with suicide? Euthanasia is assisted suicide, but still suicide. Shouldn't they fall under your category of " a waste of time and society"

ReputationRep:
    stupid rep limits

if i could i would LOVE this thread.soooooooooooooooooooooooo trueee.noone seems to care it always a2lets party"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    So I was reading this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post28902489

and I'm completely shocked and appalled at some of the responses, for example:

"Suicide is for the weakminded"
    "Survival of the fittest, he deserved to die"
    "I have no sympathy with people who do this selfish act" etc.

How can people be so heartless and ignorant? Also, surely people should be more angry at the bullies? That poor boy died because of some cold hearted, foul people who were complete and utter cowards.

Depression is a chemical imbalance for Gods sake, I don't know why people see it any differently from any other illness. Having it does NOT make you weak in any way, no more than having any other illness does. Why the ignorance and the judgement?

The problem here is the bullies, surely more should be done to combat bullying and abuse?

Urgh this makes me ridiculously angry. People who've never had depression or felt suicidal have no right to judge.
    before i post this response let me make clear that i am talking about people that kill themselves who have mental disorders, not people with poor quality of life (e.g.confined to bed, constant pain etc). I have no problems with suicide in the second situation.

People who commit suicide are mentally unstable, and as ive said in previous posts they should either be treated, or sent to an asylum. Society should not allow people to kill themselves, and people who try to kill themselves have something wrong with them. If someone tries to kill themself after help as been given, then they desertve no sympathy, they have taken the 'quick-fix guide to life i.e suicide.

This doesnt just include mental people. It also includes people who have been bullied, bankrupt, divorced etc. If these people kill themselves they deserve no sympathy. Society should help these people rather than letting them kill themselves. And if they are going to kill themself, they should at least do it in their own home where we cant see them, instead of ruining every one elses day with their wasted life.

ReputationRep:
    You do realize that euthanasia is illegal right? And even if he was in the position to have taken a plane to Switzerland, you realize that helping someone means that they are liable to imprisonment when they return back to Britain?

You say mentally unstable as if it is a standardized and negative word. Some would say casting an opinion so strongly even in the face of extreme ignorance is mentally unstable. Some would describe walking up the high street with something resembling boxers on your head would mean that you are mentally unstable, yet on the catwalk it could be hailed as a stroke of genius. In some countries, political beliefs counter to the ruling party's are described as being a mental disorder. Depression is an amazingly complex series of behavior that you obviously understand less of than most people.

Explain to me why waking up everyday to hear voices that are constantly insulting you or always being under the impression that people are out to get you etc would not eventually take you over and drive you to suicide. I think it is 10% of people suffering from a noticeable form of Schizophrenia end up killing themselves. I doubt that these people who are under an overwhelming amount of mental strain really care about what you have a problem with.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You do realize that not everyone responds to treatment right? And the side effects from the drugs can be pretty ****ing awful - diabetes, massive weight gain (even when the patient watches their food and exercises), heart problems, drooling, twitching, constant massive sedation to name a few off the top of my head.

Not only that but huge mental pain isn't fun you know. Feeling **** all pleasure from anything in life isn't a nice way to live. Mental pain isn't necessarily easier to handle than physical, actually I'd say mental torture is far worse than physical, yet you clearly have zero experience here otherwise you wouldn't be coming out with such crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    May I ask why you see such a difference between physical and mental pain?
    First let me point out someone, for example, who is confined to bed (in the euthanasia situation ) will also feel 'mental pain' as well as physical, so i am not trying to divide mental and physical pain.

Also someone with mental pain, can generally be given some sort of treatment, whereas (in the euthanasia scenario) there will most likely be no treatment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    So I was reading this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post28902489

and I'm completely shocked and appalled at some of the responses, for example:

"Suicide is for the weakminded"
    "Survival of the fittest, he deserved to die"
    "I have no sympathy with people who do this selfish act" etc.

How can people be so heartless and ignorant? Also, surely people should be more angry at the bullies? That poor boy died because of some cold hearted, foul people who were complete and utter cowards.

Depression is a chemical imbalance for Gods sake, I don't know why people see it any differently from any other illness. Having it does NOT make you weak in any way, no more than having any other illness does. Why the ignorance and the judgement?

The problem here is the bullies, surely more should be done to combat bullying and abuse?

Urgh this makes me ridiculously angry. People who've never had depression or felt suicidal have no right to judge.
    So bullies caused a chemical imbalance in the brain... Interesting stuff. Got any evidence to back this up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    You do realize that not everyone responds to treatment right? And the side effects from the drugs can be pretty ****ing awful - diabetes, massive weight gain (even when the patient watches their food and exercises), heart problems, drooling, twitching, constant massive sedation to name a few off the top of my head.

Not only that but huge mental pain isn't fun you know. Feeling **** all pleasure from anything in life isn't a nice way to live. Mental pain isn't necessarily easier to handle than physical, actually I'd say mental torture is far worse than physical, yet you clearly have zero experience here otherwise you wouldn't be coming out with such crap.
    So we should just let these people kill themselves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F i s)
    Because you have reduced your life to a collection of chemicals for for every little part of yourself.
    Why should that be anything to be pitied? I think its remarkable that something as complex and innately human as the human 'mind' can ultimately be boiled down to intricate biochemical cascades both within cells and between them.

ReputationRep:
    Ok maybe 'weak' was a harsh word. But people who want to kill themselves have some sort of mental problem, society shouldnt let mental people kill themselves. Either treat them, or send them to the asylum.
    While you may not be able to imagine a circumstance in which your life is not worth living there are plenty of situations where it would not be. Seriously, you should stop being so stupid and stop talking about things that realistically you have no conception of.

Explain to me why waking up everyday to hear voices that are constantly insulting you or always being under the impression that people are out to get you etc would not eventually take you over and drive you to suicide. I think it is 10% of people suffering from a noticeable form of Schizophrenia end up killing themselves. I doubt that these people who are under an overwhelming amount of mental strain really care about what you have a problem with.
      Exactly. No one here is condoning suicide at all. We just have a little something called empathy for people who suffer from mental illness. I'm so shocked at this guy's ignorance that I couldn't even bring myself to reply. Another one who can't even begin to understand the severity of mental illness :rolleyes:

But I can't rep you today

ReputationRep:
      You do realize that euthanasia is illegal right? And even if he was in the position to have taken a plane to Switzerland, you realize that helping someone means that they are liable to imprisonment when they return back to Britain?

You say mentally unstable as if it is a standardized and negative word. Some would say casting an opinion so strongly even in the face of extreme ignorance is mentally unstable. Some would describe walking up the high street with something resembling boxers on your head would mean that you are mentally unstable, yet on the catwalk it could be hailed as a stroke of genius. In some countries, political beliefs counter to the ruling party's are described as being a mental disorder. Depression is an amazingly complex series of behavior that you obviously understand less of than most people.

Yes I know euthanasia is illegal, which is why a problem arises. Were euthanasia legalised people could abuse it, but it would be good if there was some sort of option open for people in these situations.
      Again as I said treatments are available. Should we just let these people kill themselves? If we do then Society has failed them.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Onyx.)
      Exactly. No one here is condoning suicide at all. We just have a little something called empathy for people who suffer from mental illness. I'm so shocked at this guy's ignorance that I couldn't even bring myself to reply. Another one who can't even begin to understand the severity of mental illness :rolleyes:

But I can't rep you today
      hey are you calling me ignorant. Thats not nice

ReputationRep:
      If someone tries to kill themself after help as been given, then they desertve no sympathy, they have taken the 'quick-fix guide to life i.e suicide.

This doesnt just include mental people. It also includes people who have been bullied, bankrupt, divorced etc. If these people kill themselves they deserve no sympathy. Society should help these people rather than letting them kill themselves. And if they are going to kill themself, they should at least do it in their own home where we cant see them, instead of ruining every one elses day with their wasted life.
      So if a person you loved killed them selves, you would be not feel sympathy for them, and your life, societies life, is better off without them?
      Also, you are assuming that there is help available for everyone and that it is adequate. I assure you, this is not the case.

For euthanasia, THOSE people have to go to doctors and let the doctors decide if they should allow them to kill themselves. Peoples would have to employed to do the procedure, and don't you think would effect them? Killing yourself effects everyone around you, assisted 'legalized suicide or not .

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.