Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A child’s life needs to be GOVERNED and CONTROLLED Watch

ReputationRep:
    A lot of Britain's history is nothing to be proud of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrandmaster)
    But there is also a lot to be proud of too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I mean traditional British culture.
    That's what I mean though, how can one be 'cultured' if they only know about one culture? :confused:

Lol I was never told what party to support, or which views were right. I came to that conclusion myself. That said, my parents are Tories too, so it's probably had some influence. My father is much more centrist on a most topics than I am though, and my mother isn't as right wing as me, so I haven't brainlessly followed them.
    Bias isn't always intentional, or even conscious though.

I think it's helpful, as are factual books. I think both have their place.
    Meh, I see them as for entertainment value primarily. Sure, reading a book as a child is more productive than watching a film. But personally, I'd say a more constructive paradigm would be one that brings about an argument as to whether watching a documentary is less constructive than reading a textbook.

You think I'd go on Jeremy Kyle? :lolwut:
    It was a dig. You said you were a 'decent human being'. I was implying that you are no more decent than the chavs on Jeremy Kyle - you are merely at the other end of the spectrum :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I completely agree, and this is how I'll be bringing up mine. Surrounded by books, culture, and class.

I was brought up in a similar way, my parents educated me about current affairs, politics, and bits of history since the age of 5. I started reading the Harry Potter books aged 6, as well as various others. Our house has several hundred historical books, as well as other topics such as artists, fiction, anything really. They always took me for outings to countryside places, stately homes, art galleries, museums etc.

Consequently, I'm a decent human being who deems it unacceptable to vandalise the local bus shelter and mug the elderly. I hate 'Jeremy Kyle people' haha. They bullied me for being a "posh prick" during school.

I;m exactly the same. Although I hate the trips to stately homes etc. when I was younger, I really value it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrandmaster)
    I agree, it confuses me how some glorify the British Empire... it was worse than Nazi Germany!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    Many youths today are brought up in such a poor fashion. If you were to wander around certain areas, you will see kids hanging out on street corners etc. They all follow the same thing and admire scum celebrities, which in effect, promotes their idea of being a maverick and causing mayhem.

My idea is to CONTROL what children see and do. I believe it is important that they are exposed to the HISTORY and HERITAGE of Britain. There is a general lack of knowledge when it comes to today’s youth. I am sure you are all familiar with the term: Jeremy Kyle people. This needs to prevented to stop more of them populating.

When they are young, let’s say 5, the child should have to read the history of Britain. It is important that they’re tarnished with stories about famous citizens, leaders, generals, politicians, etc. Also introduce them to key events and battles.

Different idols

This could be nicely incorporated with the National Trust or English Heritage. They offer an array of historic properties and locations up and down the country. Why not force children to visit these places? Let them appreciate class, dignity, heritage and history. Maybe introduce a class camp? The class camp will teach them manners, music, key skills etc.

Blicking Hall

By the time the child is a teen, he/she will have a broader knowledge, and hopefully more class. Rather than blasting music out of a mobile phone and drinking white lightening in a park at night, they will realise that their actions are despicable and somewhat animal like.
    I definitely agree that many youths are out of order. What you're saying is extreme however. We should aim to use the carrot rather than the stick wherever possible. Excessively, unneccessarily constraining the freedom of children will damage their life prospects and creative ability.

ReputationRep:
    Many youths today are brought up in such a poor fashion. If you were to wander around certain areas, you will see kids hanging out on street corners etc. They all follow the same thing and admire scum celebrities, which in effect, promotes their idea of being a maverick and causing mayhem.

My idea is to CONTROL what children see and do. I believe it is important that they are exposed to the HISTORY and HERITAGE of Britain. There is a general lack of knowledge when it comes to today’s youth. I am sure you are all familiar with the term: Jeremy Kyle people. This needs to prevented to stop more of them populating.

When they are young, let’s say 5, the child should have to read the history of Britain. It is important that they’re tarnished with stories about famous citizens, leaders, generals, politicians, etc. Also introduce them to key events and battles.

Different idols

This could be nicely incorporated with the National Trust or English Heritage. They offer an array of historic properties and locations up and down the country. Why not force children to visit these places? Let them appreciate class, dignity, heritage and history. Maybe introduce a class camp? The class camp will teach them manners, music, key skills etc.

Blicking Hall

By the time the child is a teen, he/she will have a broader knowledge, and hopefully more class. Rather than blasting music out of a mobile phone and drinking white lightening in a park at night, they will realise that their actions are despicable and somewhat animal like.
    Governed? Controled? :eek: Are they countries? :eek: Are you an extremly authoritarian person? Yes. :rolleyes: Your idea of such kind of control and the measures taken to accomplish that are scary. You are scary. The best way to approach education is knowledge using curiosity and creative ideas to promote critical thinking. All your national stuff only increases the sketch of your authoritarian person. I agree with you in the rottenness wich affects many young people nowadays, however, an authoritarian control over what they do and see is likely to fall in similar ways of indoctrination like the one you are opposed wich partly blind young people. Curiosity, freedom, respect, creation, critical thinking. That's what we need.
    Despite not agreeing with you, I'm quite happy of hearing someone giving an independent personal opinion on the state of youth.

ReputationRep:
    x
    There is something about British arrogance which allows us to allow think we're so dignified and respectable. I'd rather the thug was in my face than hiding behind his jodhpurs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    There is something about British arrogance which allows us to allow think we're so dignified and respectable. I'd rather the thug was in my face than hiding behind his jodhpurs.
    Have you even read the previous arguments/ideas discussed within this thread? :s

ReputationRep:
    Agree :yep: Maybe not drilling it into them as much as the OP seems to want to do, but I'll definitely be indoctrinating them into National Trust visits and doing museum and art gallery visits etc, they may hate it but they'll thank me later :awesome:

In all seriousness, if my future children grow up to be the kind of people who blare music from their phones loudly on a bus, consider Dappy to be the height of musical excellence and know nothing of art/culture/literature/history then I will feel I have failed as a parent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella Occhi)
    Agree :yep: Maybe not drilling it into them as much as the OP seems to want to do, but I'll definitely be indoctrinating them into National Trust visits and doing museum and art gallery visits etc, they may hate it but they'll thank me later :awesome:

In all seriousness, if my future children grow up to be the kind of people who blare music from their phones loudly on a bus, consider Dappy to be the height of musical excellence and know nothing of art/culture/literature/history then I will feel I have failed as a parent.
    +rep for understanding where I am coming from!

ReputationRep:
    I support what the OP is saying.

In all honesty, the 'jeremy kyle people' we see today on our streets are not shall we say the most 'academic' of people. This just boils down to pure ignorance, if we provide a child with intelligence, analytical & logical thinking skills, then the 'correct' way to live i.e. (NOT starring on the Jeremy Kyle show) can be achieved.

Therefore the returning question to the OP is, how do we incorporate all of which you have stated without 'force' and the human right of 'free will and choice' remaining intact?

You aren't showing very much class yourself OP.

And Ali, seriously. With some of the flat out ignorant things you have posted on this forum you really shouldn't be climbing on that high horse.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by morecambebay)
      You aren't showing very much class yourself OP.

And Ali, seriously. With some of the flat out ignorant things you have posted on this forum you really shouldn't be climbing on that high horse.
      **** the OPs ideas of class. Many poor people are humble and loving. There are a small number such a jeremy kyle kids. If being a rich scumbag who robs nations of their oil but wears a suit and uses a lawyer and politicians to do their thuggery is somehow better than doing crimes illegal to the countrys law then your deluded.

ReputationRep:
      I don't drink, don't hang around on street corners, don't blast my music, don't have any aggression whatsoever, etc... (so I am not one of the Count's hated teens)

But if you forced me to go to a National Trust place, or a museum, I'd burn it down. Either burn that, or you.

Controlling a child kills their curiosity.
      Try exposing them to things to encourage interests, but don't force them to.

ReputationRep:
      Have you even read the previous arguments/ideas discussed within this thread? :s
      I have not, no.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Barden)
      That's what I mean though, how can one be 'cultured' if they only know about one culture? :confused:

Bias isn't always intentional, or even conscious though.

Meh, I see them as for entertainment value primarily. Sure, reading a book as a child is more productive than watching a film. But personally, I'd say a more constructive paradigm would be one that brings about an argument as to whether watching a documentary is less constructive than reading a textbook.

It was a dig. You said you were a 'decent human being'. I was implying that you are no more decent than the chavs on Jeremy Kyle - you are merely at the other end of the spectrum :p:
      Your replies are great. I love you!!!! Don't misunderstand the last sentence,please.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mellie220)
      I agree, it confuses me how some glorify the British Empire... it was worse than Nazi Germany!
      Exaggeration? :confused:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ANARCHY__)
      There is something about British arrogance which allows us to allow think we're so dignified and respectable.s.
      British arrogance...It really suits British people.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bella Occhi)
      Agree :yep: Maybe not drilling it into them as much as the OP seems to want to do, but I'll definitely be indoctrinating them into National Trust visits and doing museum and art gallery visits etc.
      Indoctrination? :eek: Are you insane? Poor children... We should aiming for our children to be educated not indoctrined. Education wich would provide them with critical thinking and thus, being able to cast light upon things and even upon themselves or even you, mother. Indoctrined children will lack critical thinking and their mentality will be limited to that wich they were learnt to be aimed to.
      Indoctrination, as Burger King and Subway is not healthy. At short-term it's fast cheap food. At long-term is basically junk food. Please, don't do it!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.