The Student Room Group

Ever had a shocking moment to do with an offer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jayryan13
I applied for Royal Holloway to do Economics, got an offer. Missed my offer on the day so they offered me computer science instead, which I rejected when I rang them up and asked about other courses.

Later the head Physicist there rang me up and asked if I wanted to do Physics. I said I wouldn't mind doing it, but I'd rather do Economics. Plus I only got grade C in Physics and Maths when your meant to have A's, but he gave me an offer anyway for the hell of it! He said it was refreshing to hear some honesty and not have someone begging for an offer, so gave me one anyway in case I changed my mind!

EDIT: Spelling

What did you do in the end?
I love this thread!
Reply 142
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Ermm no.. My GCSEs are quite average for a med student.. in fact they're a bit below average (should have worked :ashamed:)
But I'm proud of my A levels and UKCAT :yep:

I also got rejected by all 4 medicine choices last year having only had one interview with my current As, 720 UKCAT and was predicted A*A*AA

I am the definition of "A string of A grades will not guarantee a place at medical school" :rolleyes:
While grades are important.. I have found work experience/personal statement is much more important :yep:

Spoiler

:biggrin:

Below average? I wonder what they would say to my 1 A* , 2 As, 4 Bs and 2 Cs when I apply in 2012 :rolleyes: If I get my As at A-level that is.

Did you apply to the same universities you've applied to this year?

Good luck - you will get in this year, you have your A2 results which are FANTASTIC.

:smile:
Original post by TheHeart
:biggrin:

Below average? I wonder what they would say to my 1 A* , 2 As, 4 Bs and 2 Cs when I apply in 2012 :rolleyes: If I get my As at A-level that is.

Did you apply to the same universities you've applied to this year?

Good luck - you will get in this year, you have your A2 results which are FANTASTIC.

:smile:

Well if we applied to Bristol or Birmingham they would laugh at us since we lack A*s at GCSE..
Ermm applied to Manchester, Sheffield, Southampton and Bristol (They laughed I think) last year
Only had one interview at Manchester..
This year is in my signature
If you want to ask me more questions then that's fine but I feel we're in the wrong place so leave me a message on my profile/PM if you want :h:
I have no interesting stories about myself, but my friends do.

One friend applied for the notoriously competitive Economics course at Bristol with no A* at GCSE. The entry requirements for the course are listed as A*AA-ABB but most people get AAA/A*AA offers. She got an ABB offer.

Another friend had an interview for Chemical Engineering at Imperial and was told that he'd hear back from them before Christmas. Come Christmas Eve, he still hadn't heard so he assumed that he'd be waiting until January. He got the offer on Christmas Day.
Original post by TheHeart
x

Ok I tried to answer your message.. But I'm not allowed to since you seem to have disallowed most of your profile.. I can't PM or converse with you on it :rolleyes:
Reply 146
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Ok I tried to answer your message.. But I'm not allowed to since you seem to have disallowed most of your profile.. I can't PM or converse with you on it :rolleyes:

Sorry :s-smilie:
Just changed it :smile:
Original post by Pheebs1201
I love this thread!

Me too!
I'm just heartbroken I can't add anything to it... :teehee:
Ooh, except for Hull asking me for a B in English Lit when they usually ask for As? :dontknow:
Actually, it's a shock I got any offers at all! I thought my atrocious AS grades would mean no uni would look at me.
Yes. UCL. A) that I even got an offer in the first place. and B) how not-crazily-high the offer was. :smile:
I got a LOVELY letter from RHUL saying how they loved my PS and would welcome me with open arms to do foundation and Psychology. That was lovely and shocking haha.

In fact shockingly I got unconditional offers from all my choices with the worst reference you will ever see, which basically said I never attended, I couldn't make a decision with my life and I shouldn't be trusted.

Now at Leeds doing Psychology, in your face stupid college tutor. Pfft.
Original post by diamonddust
Me too!
I'm just heartbroken I can't add anything to it... :teehee:
Ooh, except for Hull asking me for a B in English Lit when they usually ask for As? :dontknow:
Actually, it's a shock I got any offers at all! I thought my atrocious AS grades would mean no uni would look at me.

Awh that's brilliant congrats they must have really liked you :smile:
Reply 151
Oooh I have something shocking, currently in my third year of A levels (failed second year and redoing it)
At the momemnt I have an AEE in Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

Applied to UCL for Chem eng, been made an offer :smile:

But in all honesty I think I'm a special case, since last years epic floppage was due to being ill for the whole year and I mentioned this to them.

Regardless, I think i'm extremely lucky, to be given a second chance.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 152
Original post by misswilliams
I got a LOVELY letter from RHUL saying how they loved my PS and would welcome me with open arms to do foundation and Psychology. That was lovely and shocking haha.

In fact shockingly I got unconditional offers from all my choices with the worst reference you will ever see, which basically said I never attended, I couldn't make a decision with my life and I shouldn't be trusted.

Now at Leeds doing Psychology, in your face stupid college tutor. Pfft.

I feel for you I realldy do :smile:
Teachers can be soo evil sometimes, luckily i got a nice reference.
But I had THE most evil maths teacher in the world who would single me out and make me feel stupid and inadequate. He was an epic B*TCH.

I cannot wait to get out of college, i'm planning to drive back here in september to run him over.
Original post by Sifr
I feel for you I realldy do :smile:
Teachers can be soo evil sometimes, luckily i got a nice reference.
But I had THE most evil maths teacher in the world who would single me out and make me feel stupid and inadequate. He was an epic B*TCH.

I cannot wait to get out of college, i'm planning to drive back here in september to run him over.

I had a chemistry teacher like that! He told me (well, the whole class but he was looking at me!) to drop chemistry because I was going to fail and I didn't have the aptitude for the subject. I only got an A once in the entire year and all the tests after that I got Ds, Es and Us and he kept telling me to drop it and I stubbornly carried on and almost didn't turn up to the exam because I knew I'd fail. He made me feel stupid and I lost count of the number of times I left the lessons in tears. I sat the exam and... got an E. I was actually quite proud of myself! I thought I'd got a U when I left the exam, I did a few calculations, wrote a few chemical symbols and kept writing 'Sorry Mr/Ms Examiner but I don't have a clue. Sorry. You have a good day!' and I eventually ended up doodling instead of answering the questions because I didn't have a clue!
I have no idea why I even took Chemistry!
Reply 154
I had a chemistry teacher like that! He told me (well, the whole class but he was looking at me!) to drop chemistry because I was going to fail and I didn't have the aptitude for the subject. I only got an A once in the entire year and all the tests after that I got Ds, Es and Us and he kept telling me to drop it and I stubbornly carried on and almost didn't turn up to the exam because I knew I'd fail. He made me feel stupid and I lost count of the number of times I left the lessons in tears. I sat the exam and... got an E. I was actually quite proud of myself! I thought I'd got a U when I left the exam, I did a few calculations, wrote a few chemical symbols and kept writing 'Sorry Mr/Ms Examiner but I don't have a clue. Sorry. You have a good day!' and I eventually ended up doodling instead of answering the questions because I didn't have a clue!

Sorry that happend :/
I got singled out in one of my subjects this year and the teacher kept pushing me so I (I didn't intend to) called her an arse and walked out, she didn't take it to my head of year though which is lucky.
My head of year is a complete cow-bag, she told me that, "Your personal statement is bad, you haven't improved at all. Are you sure you even want to go to university?", and she said to someone else, "Why don't you stick to being a farmer...". No wonder no-one likes her!
Reply 155

You had a really tough time :frown:
And I did the same doodling thing for chem, instead I wrote a diary entry about my feelings LOL, it was a very emo-esque entry and it got sent back to my college becuase the examing board were "concerned about my wellbeing" LOL.
Original post by mimimimi
That's really annoying! I hope you told the department, in case they didn't realise before. It's lucky that the code wasn't still on UCAS though, otherwise you'd have actually applied like I did...

Maybe Goldsmiths does this a lot! Guess they cancel courses pretty often or something.

Yeah, I emailed back the admissions officer saying it was still on the website. That was two months ago, though... So yeah! Really annoying!
Not about me but about one of my friends. He was the first one of my friends to hear back from any university - a rejection for History from LSE. He got 4 other offers, including a Cambridge one, and he went there and got the highest mark in his first year there. So I guess that was LSE's loss!
Original post by Louzilla
Sorry that happend :/
I got singled out in one of my subjects this year and the teacher kept pushing me so I (I didn't intend to) called her an arse and walked out, she didn't take it to my head of year though which is lucky.
My head of year is a complete cow-bag, she told me that, "Your personal statement is bad, you haven't improved at all. Are you sure you even want to go to university?", and she said to someone else, "Why don't you stick to being a farmer...". No wonder no-one likes her!

Ouch! What a COW! You are a bit amazing! :biggrin:
I have to laugh at Chemistry now! :tongue:

Original post by Sifr
You had a really tough time :frown:
And I did the same doodling thing for chem, instead I wrote a diary entry about my feelings LOL, it was a very emo-esque entry and it got sent back to my college becuase the examing board were "concerned about my wellbeing" LOL.

Haha! Was it something like 'I'd rather die than do this Chemistry exam?'
Because that's more... true than emo haha! But that's hilarious! I didn't know exam boards could do that! :biggrin:
Reply 159
Original post by TheSownRose
What did you do in the end?

In the end I never took him up on it, went to do Economics through clearing instead. Kinda wish I'd took the offer now though, I really wanted to go to Royal Holloway and its probably quite a bit better than the university I'm at now.

Don't get caught up in the stress and manickness that is clearing folks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending