Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    Absolutely. Proud as punch, you might say!

Like you said, the fact that we happened to be spawned upon this island doesn't exactly make it profound in any way, though, we should display some national pride, at least a dash of it.

I personally can't stand these neo-turncoats who feel the need to trash this countries name, or those who say ridiculous things, perhaps things like: 'I wish I was born into 'x' country', or 'x nationilty, creed, race', etc...

Nevertheless, the concept of 'national pride' is quite redundant.
    Definitely, you're right. How do they expect foreigners to integrate into our society if they're anti-British almost themselves. Anglophiles=great, in the sense that it bodes well for national solidarity irrespective of where they were born, as long as they consider themselves British. Anti-British stance= If British people don't show a sense of pride ergo a collective solidarity for the UK, then like I say...what about would be terrorists, people prone to radicalisation etc etc? It's a deep thought but it's something to think about. It's the anti-British stance adopted by Arabic etc countries , to put it in context (although not waving your St George from your window is clearly different to wanting to blow people up) but a deeper contempt for Britain and Britons displayed by people of different countries and cultures. Be it for whatever reason. Cos I see that there is an overt sense of hostility towards British people from foriengers. On a superficial level, it's just "we don't like the Brits" on a deeper level they want to kill us all!!

So essentially what I'm saying is, a collective sense of national pride could potentially contribute even in a minor way, to stopping people being radicalised but also counter the overwhelming sense of Anti-English/Anti-British feeling from people from other countries.

And Qua: It would be the same anywhere in the world wherever I was born. Be it Uganda, UAE, Ulan Bator (which isn't a country but you get the picture) or the United Kingdom.... I am born here, I may as well show some "pride" the fact that it's the UK with it's empicirical history and whatever is redundant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allieee)
    don't really know how you can be proud of something you can't help. it's like being proud of having blue eyes or something.
    So? That's the same old argument from people who don't want to show a little national pride.

I KNOW it can;t be helped where you're born, but look at what is and deal with it accordingly. It can't be changed as I keep repeating so you may as well deal with it as it is.

And incidently, what would be wrong about being proud of having blue eyes??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    I know you shouldn't be proud of where you happened to be born, but since there's no changing it you may as well embrace the fact and show some national pride. I don't particularly like the Royals but it's nice to see the show of national pride for royal birthdays, weddings and the likes.

So are you proud to be British?
    I don't think there is anything inherently wrong to be glad that you were born in a country. We Brits are very lucky to have won the lottery of life and grown up in a wealthy country. One that tries to treat its people with fairness, has a liberal and welfare agenda ingrained in its psyche. However I do roll my eyes when people begin by stating their happiness for being British and then follow up with 'for royal birthdays, weddings and the likes'.

What. The. Hell. Seriously. What. The. Hell.

Is that all to be happy of? What an insult to all the lives lost in all our wars. For all those who struggled against slavery and discrimination in all its forms. To all those who have marched and died on our streets for time old principles you and I don't appreciate. To all those who opposed tyranny and invasion from the Nazi ideology. To all the brilliant minds that helped the world begin a new era of industrialisation. To all those amazing singers, actors, dancers and authors who have entertained us from childhood into our old age. To all those who have travelled from all four corners of the globe, and choose to live and share this little island with us. What has Prince William or Harry done?

I don't particularly like the Royals but it's nice to see the show of national pride for royal birthdays, weddings and the likes.
    If that is what being happy/proud of being British means, then this country has failed. :rolleyes:

p.s there is a distinction between patriotism and nationalism. Imperial Britain was led by nationalist ideology and to was Nazi Germany. Nationalism is patriotism gone wrong, leading to an aggressive and superior mentality.

Lol no not really eventually the whole world will join up again somehow in a fight against an extra terrestrial force and all humans from all places will unite against it, then we all will be proud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Escriba)
    ...I'm proud of having brown hair. I guess there's something seriously wrong with me eh?!
    Lol you're literally proud of your hair colour :rofl:

Yes, there is something wrong with you.

ReputationRep:
    The thing i find funny is all the tools going 'I'M NOT PROUD, WHY SHOULD I BE PROUD WHEN I COULDN'T CHOSE WHERE I WAS BORN, WHAT A STUPID IDEA' are the first to wear their England tops and celebrate when England win the world cup or any sporting event.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Lol you're literally proud of your hair colour :rofl:

Yes, there is something wrong with you.
    I knew it!
    Seriously guys, what kind of pride are we talking about here? Because I mean it in the content with/happy kind of pride. I don't go walking around with my nose in the air thinking I'm better that everybody else just because I'm British and have brown hair. I mean come on, what kind of an image would that give people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Dolan)
    It would be nice to be a very affluent lord or similar with lots of English land and a traditional English country manor house in some pleasant rural English setting.

I'm not but I'm still a proud average Brit.

Jack
    We share the same dream my friend.

ReputationRep:
    Very much so, I'm proud to be able to say to others that I'm English, despite all the bad rep we seem to get from time to time.

I think Britain is a fantastic place to live, and although many people complain about the weather, we always have something to talk about!

ReputationRep:
    English, yes.

British? I see British/Britain more as an alliance.

I do find it extremely offensive when black people scream that they have an ethnic identity (somalian etc) and then deny me one by claiming they're "english" however.

ReputationRep:
    Not with the BNP being "british" Sorry, but they bring us all down.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion you should love your country in a similar way that you love your family; not becasue you have considered everyone and made an educated judgement as to which is superior, and not in way that denounces all others.

Instead you should love your country because that is what you have grown up with, become familiar with, and got to know both the good things, the bad things and little quirks of.

And by extension one may also be proud of their nationality, but it shouldn't neccessarily follow that you can't appreciate other nationailties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sim188)
    Not with the BNP being "british" Sorry, but they bring us all down.
    Oh **** off you mong.

ReputationRep:
    Pride isn't the right word. I enjoy our history of literature, philosophy, political theory, and the arts in general. But I daresay there are plenty of better places to live. Our foreign policy has always been abominable to me and something shameful. I do however like the notion of being British and having a unified but also distinct sense of identity, even if the history of Britain is a little shameful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Escriba)
    ...I'm proud of having brown hair. I guess there's something seriously wrong with me eh?!
    I don't think you understand properly what pride means.

pride:
    a feeling of self-respect and personal worth
    satisfaction with your (or another's) achievements; "he takes pride in his son's success"
    unreasonable and inordinate self-esteem (personified as one of the deadly sins)

Do you feel superior to others e.g. blondes because of your brown hair or simply happy to have brown hair?

LOL you looked for the proper definition of that

ReputationRep:
    chaps how do you make a thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    I don't think there is anything inherently wrong to be glad that you were born in a country. We Brits are very lucky to have won the lottery of life and grown up in a wealthy country. One that tries to treat its people with fairness, has a liberal and welfare agenda ingrained in its psyche. However I do roll my eyes when people begin by stating their happiness for being British and then follow up with 'for royal birthdays, weddings and the likes'.

What. The. Hell. Seriously. What. The. Hell.

Is that all to be happy of? What an insult to all the lives lost in all our wars. For all those who struggled against slavery and discrimination in all its forms. To all those who have marched and died on our streets for time old principles you and I don't appreciate. To all those who opposed tyranny and invasion from the Nazi ideology. To all the brilliant minds that helped the world begin a new era of industrialisation. To all those amazing singers, actors, dancers and authors who have entertained us from childhood into our old age. To all those who have travelled from all four corners of the globe, and choose to live and share this little island with us. What has Prince William or Harry done?

If that is what being happy/proud of being British means, then this country has failed. :rolleyes:

p.s there is a distinction between patriotism and nationalism. Imperial Britain was led by nationalist ideology and to was Nazi Germany. Nationalism is patriotism gone wrong, leading to an aggressive and superior mentality.
    Brtions have experienced slavery?? Or are you talking about others?

When you look at it like the way you;ve put it it makes me even more proud, we fought to liberate the whole world along with several other countries, when you think about thanks very much.

Our foreign policy hasn't always been the greatest but no one was complaing when we were winning both world wars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    I don't think you understand properly what pride means.

pride:
    a feeling of self-respect and personal worth
    satisfaction with your (or another's) achievements; "he takes pride in his son's success"
    unreasonable and inordinate self-esteem (personified as one of the deadly sins)

Do you feel superior to others e.g. blondes because of your brown hair or simply happy to have brown hair?
    I don't, and yes, I'm happy to have brown hair. Wouldn't that come under 'taking pride' in your appearance? As far as I know, pride doesn't always mean that you think yourself superior to others...

ReputationRep:
    I'm proud to have a British passport.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.