Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Veterinary Medicine Stalking Thread 2011 - For your interviews, offers and rejections Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

New to this so...

Nottingham - rejection
    Glasgow - rejection
    Edinburgh - Rejection
    Liverpool - interview 9/2/11 - waiting to hear back

thanks
    xx

ReputationRep:
    also new to this but this is what iv got so far

Nottingham - rejection
    Bristol - AAA
    Liverpool - AAB
    RVC - waiting on result from interview

ReputationRep:
    O.k so its now:
    RVC: rejection
    Nottingham: rejection

and finally Bristol rejected me yesterday tho I felt my interview didnt really show me off. Was really upset as I REALLY wanted to go there. Can everyone who has got an offer from there reject it for me? XD

well Ive still got my interview at Liverpool left. But im dreading the interview, it sounds bizarre and they could ask me anything! Is it true it isnt orientated around your personal statement like other interviews?

Im on a gap year working as a kennel assistant, have tons of work experience in almost everything and four (five including general studies) A's and still I get rejected! Vet Med is my life and passion and Liverpool is now my last chance as I wont be able to afford the tuition fees when they rise in 2012.

Cant believe at Bristol in the first year 10% drop out as they dont realise what the course is actually like and find that its not for them. It makes your blood boil.

So people if your thinking of doing Veterinary Medicine it really isnt about cuddling small furry animals (if you want to do that become a farmer or get a pet). Vet med is a science and for the first three years you will hardly even touch a single animal. Its three years of intensive study where you can say goodbye to your social life. Make sure your on the right course as there are others who would give their life to have a place on the course.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone update me please

Bristol interview on 9th march.

thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowWolf)
    O.k so its now:

well Ive still got my interview at Liverpool left. But im dreading the interview, it sounds bizarre and they could ask me anything! Is it true it isnt orientated around your personal statement like other interviews?
    Yep, they hadn't read my PS at all but it would do you good if you know what you've written there anyway.

I wont be able to afford the tuition fees when they rise in 2012.
    The tuition fee rise is dreadful. However, I do think you will be able to get a tuition fee loan to cover that so there is nothing to stop you actually going there if you're heart is really in it, which you won't pay back until you're earning a decent amount at a rate of 9% of your gross pay. Just means you have a bigger debt of £30,000 than you would otherwise, so you may end up paying for much, much longer but you'll be earning enough money to pay all the bills anyway.

Another option is to go abroad and study, for a much cheaper price than in the UK with the fee rises. Some people on here have gone to Slovakia to study, and you can also go to Poland to study to (in English obviously).

There are ways around it so don't despair until it is all over. Some people on here have applied 3 or more times to get in..

Cant believe at Bristol in the first year 10% drop out as they dont realise what the course is actually like and find that its not for them. It makes your blood boil.
    Don't feel so angry about that since until you personally have gone there you could have also been a drop out too, for various reasons. I'm sure they all wanted to be there as much as you do now at the start.

Anyway, best of luck!

ReputationRep:

Im on a gap year working as a kennel assistant, have tons of work experience in almost everything and four (five including general studies) A's and still I get rejected! Vet Med is my life and passion and Liverpool is now my last chance
    Omg I'm really sorry that's awful No worries though, Liv <3 reapps and kennel/cattery work!! And you have amazing grades!! Liv interviews are reallly fun actually, you might find they suit you more than bristol style interviews. You have the grades so you are more than good enough for this course, go in and really give it your all!!!!

Maybe it's just your intevriew technique, I'd practise answering core questions and talking with passion, let them know how desperatley you want it good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasha_atl)
    Liv interviews are reallly fun actually, you might find they suit you more than bristol style interviews.
    Re Liverpool interviews what is the best way to prepare? I have gone through my ps stuff, looked at current issues, ethical issues, vaccinations...anything else? It sounds like they ask really random questions!
    Also, re references - my last 5 placements were farms - pigs, dairy,stables, cattle - no veterinary practice (that was earlier experience). Do you think that matters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitty1)
    Re Liverpool interviews what is the best way to prepare? I have gone through my ps stuff, looked at current issues, ethical issues, vaccinations...anything else? It sounds like they ask really random questions!
    Also, re references - my last 5 placements were farms - pigs, dairy,stables, cattle - no veterinary practice (that was earlier experience). Do you think that matters?
    It's not personal statement based so it would be a waste to concentrate on that but I would look at everything else above you have mentioned. As with any interview you never really know what they may or may not ask you. The only advise I can give is that whatever you talk about speak with passion, relate it back to your own experience and what you learnt from it and how it relates to being a vet. But again they might ask you something and you won't be able to do this :/ You just have to prepare well and give it all you have.

Try to stick to what it says as much as possible. Do you have a reference from your earlier vet experience?

ReputationRep:
    It's not personal statement based so it would be a waste to concentrate on that but I would look at everything else above you have mentioned. As with any interview you never really know what they may or may not ask you. The only advise I can give is that whatever you talk about speak with passion, relate it back to your own experience and what you learnt from it and how it relates to being a vet. But again they might ask you something and you won't be able to do this :/ You just have to prepare well and give it all you have.

Try to stick to what it says as much as possible. Do you have a reference from your earlier vet experience?
    Thanks for the advice! Re references, yes I do have previous vet experience references, but it says last 5 placements in the areas of ..... rather than one from each of the categories. I worked with the resident vets on the pig and cattle farms which I guess also covers vets in practice I guess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitty1)
    Thanks for the advice! Re references, yes I do have previous vet experience references, but it says last 5 placements in the areas of ..... rather than one from each of the categories. I worked with the resident vets on the pig and cattle farms which I guess also covers vets in practice I guess?
    Well if you're not happy taking an older reference as your most recent vet practice then take your best one from one of the other catergories instead. Yh it does but I think they like you to have seen at least one vet in practice. I went to a vets that I had been at before for a day a week for a couple of weeks just before my Liv interview and got them to do me an updated reference saying how ih been before I was there now and would continue to go until a certain date and that was fine

I think as long as they are decent references and cover most of those areas they can't really complain

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for invading the stalking thread

ReputationRep:
    )

I think as long as they are decent references and cover most of those areas they can't really complain
    Thanks. ...and woops, yes I see I am on the wrong thread sorry everyone!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly 123)
    x

(Original post by cossmic)
    When were the 3 interviews? Also BMAT score?

When were the interviews? BMAT score?

(Original post by LilacTweet)
    The interview date was on there but have now taken you off hold
    Don't invade this thread for chat people :puppyeyes:

Done :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you :d

ReputationRep:
    Hi Please could you put these on the stalking page..:
    Bristol: interview 9/2/11 and offer AAB
    Edinburgh: rejection
    Glasgow: interview 15/12/10 and on hold
    Liverpool: interview on 23/3/11

Thaaanks

ReputationRep:
    Bristol:
    Interview 17/11/10
    Offer AA

Cambridge (Trinity Hall):
    Interview 14/12/10
    Pooled, but offer from Sidney Sussex AAA

Edinburgh:
    Interview 15/12/10
    Offer BB

Glasgow:
    Interview 10/12/10
    Offer BB

Can't remember all BMAT score, but 4.5A on essay. Will check score and post it once I know.

ReputationRep:
    O.k so its now:
    RVC: rejection
    Nottingham: rejection

and finally Bristol rejected me yesterday tho I felt my interview didnt really show me off. Was really upset as I REALLY wanted to go there. Can everyone who has got an offer from there reject it for me? XD

Im on a gap year working as a kennel assistant, have tons of work experience in almost everything and four (five including general studies) A's and still I get rejected! Vet Med is my life and passion and Liverpool is now my last chance as I wont be able to afford the tuition fees when they rise in 2012.

So people if your thinking of doing Veterinary Medicine it really isnt about cuddling small furry animals (if you want to do that become a farmer or get a pet). Vet med is a science and for the first three years you will hardly even touch a single animal. Its three years of intensive study where you can say goodbye to your social life. Make sure your on the right course as there are others who would give their life to have a place on the course.
    I rejected my Bristol offer so there you go =L
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superhan)
    x

(Original post by Ca11ie)
    Once you know the other sections, post on here and someone (probs me atm) will update it :yep:
    Also did you have to be re-interviewed for Sidney Sussex?
    Done :yep:

ReputationRep:
    No, I wasn't re-interviewed for Sidney Sussex.

ReputationRep:
    And btw it was Trinity Hall who pooled me, not Trinity

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.