Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Job Centres to give food vouchers to the unemployed Watch

(Original post by 1nibbler1)
      Nah I meant like Sick benefit it used to be called Disability Living Allowance or maybe ESA who knows. But I think the government should be targetting the long-term unemployed, my life is made a misery by the JC and I've only been claiming for 3months.
      Disability Living Allowance is a non-contributory allowance that is payable to those who need great support with their daily living. It is not easy to qualify...there are major hoops to jump through...but some people are so astute at both lying and pretending to be severely disabled that they slip through the net.

I recall interviewing a would-be beneficiary of this benefit, helping her to complete the complex and ardous task of filling in the claim form. She came into the office on two crutches and made a great show of having difficulty in walking and sitting along with much grimacing to evidence the pain she was in.

When we had completed the task, she left the office, still putting on the show for which she should have been awarded an 'Oscar.'

Three hours later, I left the office to get a sandwich for my lunch break and as I went around the corner, the same woman was striding towards me in a power-walking mode. No crutches, no painful expression, no evidence of pain, only evidence of supreme fitness!

It is essential that those who have just lost their jobs and are on JSA that should be provided with all the support to get another job very quickly. Otherwise they become part of the long-term unemployed for whom state benefits have become their crutch and causes them to lack motivation and confidence in getting another job. The best way, I think, is for each officer to work through their alphabetical splint of claimaints whom they are responsible for and seek ways to get them off the unemployment benefit register and back to work. However, this takes more resources since the offices are working with skeleton staff as it is, and they can't keep on top on their daily work let alone undertaking such a monumental task.

When I worked for the Civil Service, there were 'task forces' of peripatetic staff who came from all over the country to work specifically for new government initiatives in individual offices. This allowed for a seamless transition to input these new initiatives whilst leaving the regular staff to oversee the day-to-day running of their caseload.

I'm guessing that the coalition will not provide extra civil service resources to get people back to work because it's cheaper to get private agencies (who know absolutely nothing about individual beneficaries) to do the deed.

ReputationRep:
      I've been on the dole and received housing benefit, and I tell you it is comfy as ****. There is basically nothing that makes me want to get a job except the embarrassment and stigma of being on benefits and living in a **** house.

If I could just keep to myself I'd be fine, they really do pay a lot of money, and it works out to something like £100 per one hour of time you have to give up to go to the job centre etc.

ReputationRep:
      It's only for people experiencing hardship. If you are experiencing hardship and you are on JSA or whatever then DO take these vouchers! How could you not lighten your own burden? Your pride will not take a fall. By taking these vouchers you will be lightening your burden.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Drunk Punx)
      A lot of food is supposedly thrown out from bakeries, butchers, supermarkets, etc etc day in day out purely because it doesn't sell.

I'd rather have that than nothing. Quote from a friend of a friend: "Working at Marks and Spencers is hilarious; at least 50 packs of sandwiches get chucked out each day because they don't sell... and that's just the sandwiches! Would probably be better if they set up a system where all the leftover food went to the people living on the streets, but I know they won't because they think it's far too much effort... which saddens me quite a bit".
      Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Pret do hand out their leftover sandwiches to local charities and organisations. When I lived in a Hostel for homeless young people last year, we would get sandwiches from Pret that didn't sell delivered every Saturday night. They would go to different organisations and charites every day of the week. It was a good system.

(Original post by snowyowl)
        Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Pret do hand out their leftover sandwiches to local charities and organisations. When I lived in a Hostel for homeless young people last year, we would get sandwiches from Pret that didn't sell delivered every Saturday night. They would go to different organisations and charites every day of the week. It was a good system.
        Pret a manger could get done by the HSE for selling out of date sandwiches...on the grounds of human safety. And yet it's OK to donate these to charities for the homeless who apparently aren't susceptible to the same dangers as those paying for the food. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by yawn)
        Pret a manger could get done by the HSE for selling out of date sandwiches...on the grounds of human safety. And yet it's OK to donate these to charities for the homeless who apparently aren't susceptible to the same dangers as those paying for the food. :rolleyes:
        Well no, they're donated because they didn't sell, not because they're out of date. They got delivered at around 10pm, well after Pret has closed. They were still within date, as such, when we received them.

In fact I remember reading somewhere that Pret has a policy of not putting sell-by dates on food, and instead making them fresh every day and then donating that which doesn't sell. Don't quote me on it until I can find a source, though...

Edit - I've bolded the important bits:

(Original post by Pret a Manger's website)
        Our sandwiches are freshly made throughout the day in each and every Pret kitchen. This fact is (partly) what makes Pret special. We make them, we sell them! We definitely don’t buy from a big sandwich factory. People in the food business trust Pret. We’ve spent years earning their respect. This is vital to our ongoing success.

Our partners drop off the very best ingredients to our shops everyday. We don’t mind that good, natural food goes off quickly. We don’t keep our sandwiches, baguettes and wraps overnight.
        Source: http://www.pret.com/about/good_natural.htm

(Original post by Pret a Manger's website)
        Throughout the year we support hundreds of charities helping the homeless by giving our unsold sandwiches to them at the end of each day. The Pret Charity Run operates LPG vans that deliver over 12,000 fresh meals to numerous shelters in London every week. Many charities across the UK collect directly from our shops at the end of each day, too.

In total, Pret donates over 1.7 million products to charities for the homeless across the UK every year. It's much better our natural food goes to people who really need it at the end of the day and not in the bin.
        Source: http://www.pret.com/about/charity_run.htm

Well no, they're donated because they didn't sell, not because they're out of date. They got delivered at around 10pm, well after Pret has closed. They were still within date, as such, when we received them.

In fact I remember reading somewhere that Pret has a policy of not putting sell-by dates on food, and instead making them fresh every day and then donating that which doesn't sell. Don't quote me on it until I can find a source, though...

Edit - I've bolded the important bits:

Source: http://www.pret.com/about/good_natural.htm

Source: http://www.pret.com/about/charity_run.htm
          If that's the case, that's fine...obviously.

I am a little concerned though about sandwiches that haven't sold been donated or even sold onto less principled sources. Just a couple of weeks ago, seven corner shops in my area were prosecuted for selling out of date sandwiches that they got from various sources, having covered up the original labels and selling them as locally prepared.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by yawn)
          If that's the case, that's fine...obviously.

I am a little concerned though about sandwiches that haven't sold been donated or even sold onto less principled sources. Just a couple of weeks ago, seven corner shops in my area were prosecuted for selling out of date sandwiches that they got from various sources, having covered up the original labels and selling them as locally prepared.
          Hmm. There's a convenience store near the nursery I volunteer at that I sometimes go in, and they're selling out of date food - but they're really clear that it's out of date. They have a stand at the front of the shop that says "Half price due to out of date" on it. Are they not allowed to do this then? Or does the problem only occur if you try and lie about the actual expiry date?

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Huskaris)
          Living on benefits is not meant to be fun. Why not stigmatise the unemployed? It is a stigma. Not having a job means you are being paid by society, I want that to be something which is looked down upon.
          Uh, I'm unemployed because because I can't get a job. They all want experience and I was stupid enough to work hard at school to get into university because it's said to offer better prospects. I was also stupid enough to think that taking a gap year to work would be a good idea.

Oh, and I'm not eighteen yet, so me and my mum have been living on and paying the bills with savings and less than £100 pound a week. You want to stimatise near-poverty?

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Bella_Gail)
          Uh, I'm unemployed because because I can't get a job. They all want experience and I was stupid enough to work hard at school to get into university because it's said to offer better prospects. I was also stupid enough to think that taking a gap year to work would be a good idea.

Oh, and I'm not eighteen yet, so me and my mum have been living on and paying the bills with savings and less than £100 pound a week. You want to stimatise near-poverty?
          Take some free advise. Doing forensics at Dundee is your next mistake, do chemistry instead or you'll later find you got into £25k more debt to be even more unemployable than you are today.

ReputationRep:
          I think the main benefit here is knowing that these individuals will spend it on food rather than alcohol and drugs! believe me i know a few who abuse the system for the two!

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Quady)
          Take some free advise. Doing forensics at Dundee is your next mistake, do chemistry instead or you'll later find you got into £25k more debt to be even more unemployable than you are today.
          Actually, given the fact I'm Scottish and the predicted grant... I'll only be about four grand in debt, six or seven tops when my course is done.

Thanks for the advice, but no thanks.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Bella_Gail)
          Actually, given the fact I'm Scottish and the predicted grant... I'll only be about four grand in debt, six or seven tops when my course is done.

Thanks for the advice, but no thanks.
          Still less employable that today though, that was the main point.

Hmm. There's a convenience store near the nursery I volunteer at that I sometimes go in, and they're selling out of date food - but they're really clear that it's out of date. They have a stand at the front of the shop that says "Half price due to out of date" on it. Are they not allowed to do this then? Or does the problem only occur if you try and lie about the actual expiry date?
            It's illegal...the caveat "let the buyer beware" does not apply!

Taken from the Food Standards Agency website:

I bought a sandwich and when I got home I realised that its 'use by' date was two days ago. What should I do?

Don't eat the sandwich. You shouldn't eat any food product that has passed its 'use by' date, because it might not be safe to eat. In fact, it's illegal for shops to sell food after its 'use by' date.

You could take the sandwich back to the shop where you bought it and ask for an exchange or refund. Or you could contact the trading standards or environmental health service at your local authority. It is their responsibility to investigate if they think a shop is not obeying the law, and to take appropriate action. If you decide to contact your local authority, you may need to make a statement and give them the food product and packaging as evidence.

But remember that 'use by' dates are different to other dates you may see on food products. It's not illegal for shops to sell food after its 'best before', 'sell by' or 'display until' date.

ReputationRep:
            Do people read articles? or do we have a mix of sado masochists getting off on the idea of the jobless getting no money and using foodbanks, and the liberal left vermin red diper doper babies , who are trying to use this to bash the government? Or is it just a lack of reading comprehension?

The title of this topic is blatantly wrong as it kind of suggests that the jobless will be allowed access to food banks instead of cash benefits. When in reality the food banks are just additional support to those who experience benefit delays. If anything it is a good idea and means less people will go hungry. Additional means to support those who are in crisis are always a good idea.

Now on to benefits, the problem with this government is,in part they lack spinesBut and secondly, the poor economic situation means whole sale reform of the benefit system will be impossible. The likes of Iain duncan smith have their hearts in the right place, as if anything the welfare state as it is now is part of the problem as it maintains the social deprivation we experience in the UK which is slowly turning into a third world cess pit. The time to have reformed the welfare state wholesale is when we have plenty of jobs and a economy in good shape. Right now, all it does is make good headlines for daily mail readers. In practice, there will not be as much change as people wish. We simply do not have the money for welfare reform. Mainly because we would prefer to give money to other nations space programmes, the EU and the man made climate change lie.

The other thing is, a more punative welfare state, is retarded when we don't have the jobs and we have a lax immigration policy so all those unskilled or low skilled jobs that we could force the nations unemployed to do are taken. Because employers can pay the legal and illegal aliens low wages.We also need to raise the minimum wage because having such a low wage just encourages employers to pay the bare minimum, this is unacceptable when cost of living is rising, and also encourages the lazy to stay on benefits. Paying those on benefits less will simply cause more crime and lawlessness.Of course the people for this, don't often live in these scummy areas where crime will explode if the pikeys cannot buy their booze and ****.Although in time the crime will move to the areas they live in. This government is against jailing people for violent crimes, according to ken clarke. so I predict a crime explosion if they really did cut benefit big time. We also I think to re invest more in manufacturing and bring traditional industries back. Such as the steel industry, the car industry and arms exporting. Britain used to be far more self sufficient in arming our armed forces.

And also we used to have many companies exporting arms, and other security devices used in internal security to all sorts of countries in africa and the middle east. Now we have a few companies with a monopoly which is very unhealthy. We need to provide more technical colleges to train young people and those who are long term unemployed for these jobs, and take the emphasis off university education. Only the very academic elite should go to university and it should be free and paid for in student grants .Sorry people the rest of you will have to get be trained in technical colleges. We also need a far larger army and more well equipped navy and air force as very soon the world is going to become even more unstable. That will create jobs as we have so many young healthy people unemployed . We need to bring our armed forces back to cold war levels. That would get around large numbers of young men off the dole queue. Not even including those who could be employed in mass production of tanks, ships , and guns after retraining.

We can help pay for this in the short term by leaving the european union.using the money meant for the man made climate change lie and foreign aid . Until, our manufacturing industry catches up.

ReputationRep:
            I would just like to point out that I'm unemployed. Have been since January 2013. I'm from a good working family. My parents have worked throughout there whole lives. I went to college and studied Art & Design.

I have been sat in my flat for 4 days now without eating drinking tap water. I had my benefit stopped because I missed my signing date on no fault of my jobcentre woman. She had put the wrong date for me to sign on and when I turn up I missed my signing date. Please bare in mind that they not very helpful and closed my claim. I am now wait after two weeks without money and will wait another week before money is owed to me.

I WOULD jump at the chance at food vouchers. At least i could eat right? Isn't that a human right? The funny thing was I had a guy at my front door the other day asking If i would like to help the poor and hungry in Africa? Insult to my wounds.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Genocidal)
            Very good idea it's better to make sure they buy essentials such as food rather than just to give them money and assume they won't spend it on drugs,booze etc.

And to anyone saying there is a stigma attached to using vouchers quite frankly deal with it. You are unemployed therefore you should be grateful you get anything at all. If someone has so much pride that they are unwilling to take vouchers to buy essentials then they can starve and keep their pride if it means so much to them.
            Why do you care how they spend that money? Everyone gets the same amount more or less, whether they spend it on food (which they have to at some point) or not is surely no concern to anyone but themselves. I am talking about you assumption that they won't spend it on drugs and booze.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Duncan Idaho)
            400,000 vacancies, supposedly

2.5 million unemployed

you do the maths!
            Not even counting the ones in very short term employment or those apparently in 'full time education' (university in other words).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          What newspaper do you read/prefer?
          Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.