Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Common words which people can't spell Watch

ReputationRep:
    Dinosaw. Yes, this was my Year 9 DT teacher!

ReputationRep:
    well dunno about common words but one of my teachers was once marking some papers at home and one of em was really **** and got like 10 marks or something overall...so he said to her wife, "man this guy is really ****" and she said, "oh come on cut him some slack, give him an extra mark or two" to which he replied, "ok if he's spelt his name right i will"...and you guessed it he had spelt his name wrong (real name was john and he had spelt it jhon)

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends gained 8-10A*s at GCSE, got a scholarship to a private school and ALWAYS spells "cinema" as "cinemar"! :'(

EDIT: Oh, and everyone in my history class has trouble with "sepArate".

ReputationRep:
    Driving Licence.

I was once on a course at university and some sanctimonious ***** from the Careers department was trying to teach us how to write a CV and we came to the subject of common spelling errors. She mentioned that driving licence should be spelt 'driving license' and that this was a common error on CVs. I gently pointed out that she might have it the wrong way round and she responded by barking "I think you will find that Microsoft Word spells it with an 's' " to which I replied "Well, I think you will find that my driving licence spells it with a 'c'. In future you might want to note that it is 'c' for the noun and 's' for the verb." To highlight the point I showed her my licence.

She ****ing hated me after that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superstar6318)
    I'm sick of people who can't spell so here's how to spell certain words.

Definitely - not definately or definitaly.

1) Breathe - note that this is spelt different from breath. You're meant to use breathe to explain how one inhales oxygen and emits carbon dioxide, and you use breath when you refer to ones breath smelling.

2) Occasionally - two C's used.

3) Focused - Why oh why do people spell it as 'focussed?'
    Grammar- not grammer

does anyone care to add any more?
    1) Only when it's used as a verb. Breathing is also not just limited to this process - aerobic respiration involves these molecules. I can inhale xenon and then exhale it, can't I? That's called breathing, is it not?

2) Yes, that's right. But you're misusing an apostrophe. And I've never seen two upper case Cs in the word "occasionally".

3) Either is acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkSenrine)
    1) Only when it's used as a verb. Breathing is also not just limited to this process - aerobic respiration involves these molecules. I can inhale xenon and then exhale it, can't I? That's called breathing, is it not?

2) Yes, that's right. But you're misusing an apostrophe. And I've never seen two upper case Cs in the word "occasionally".

3) Either is acceptable.
    I get your point, but I'm talking about spelling in this thread. These are basic spellings which people can't get their head round - particularly breathe being spelt as breath.

ReputationRep:
    I'm constantly spelling definetely wrong - hold on, that's wrong, definitely. Yup, that's correct My examiners must think i'm really stupid because I do language and literature and continue to spell that word wrong

Oh and the grammatical mistake your/you're
    We all fall prey to mistakes unfortunately, especially when you're writing really fast

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.