Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Letter to your younger self. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Dear 12 year old Arcadia,

I know you're probably in your room, reading, like you usually are, and listening to music that everyone else thinks sucks, but this time of your life will be defined by the books you read and the music you listen to, and both of them are epic. You're going to spend the next few years of your life worrying and being excited in equal measure. And take some easier school subjects ffs. Just because one door closes doesn't mean the whole world is crashing in, even though it feels like it now. You're going to visit London in a couple of years and it will change your life. You're going to grow in confidence and people will try and say you're wrong, but you're right. You were as good as you thought all along. People will label your dedication as obsession, and that's no bad thing. Keep reading, keep writing, keep being curious and wanting to experience more. Everything's going to get as worse as it can get, but things are starting to pick up now.

By the way you're going to become obsessed with Stephen Fry at 15, but you'll meet him at 17 and discover he's a ****.

STOP WORRYING.

17 year old Arcadia
    Omg is he ****!? What did he do?

ReputationRep:
    On a more serious note though, I'd force myself not to get asthma...and to work hard at school.

Bar that, I've really no regrets

ReputationRep:
    Dear me aged 16,

You may think some piercings are horrible and that emo hairstyle is 'cool' but believe me give it 6 years and you'll want to kill anyone with that hairdo and constantly be planning to have another piercing.

Sincerely,

You aged 22

P.S. You're gonna be an uncle to 3 kids. Prepare yourself.

ReputationRep:
    dear me
    LOVE life and love the people within it. You don't have to like the people within it, just love them because it best reperesents the type of person you are, the one who has a steadfast to positivity.

ReputationRep:
    Aged 14,

Chill. It just isn't worth the effort, GCSEs are piss, you'll walk them.

Don't take Economics.

-OMGWTFBBQ

ReputationRep:
    Dear xconfetti (aged 11),
    You're doing the right thing. They're not good for you. Stick with the new friends you're making. They're incredible people
    Have confidence. Speaking up for yourself doesn't make you cocky. Audition for the school play, please, because otherwise you'll end up getting involved in your last year of school and completely regretting not doing it earlier. Go to sports practices, even if you suck. You'll have fun Don't feel that you have to be brilliant at all that you do. You're not going to be.
    Try not to have too many expectations, and don't be afraid of making mistakes. Just enjoy the ride, but make it your ride. No-one is going to live your life but you. Take chances sometimes, and don't be so cautious. It will all work out in the end.
    Go on exchange for 3 months rather than 6 weeks. You won't want to leave at the end

And please, for the love of God: when you're 14.. MAKE SURE MUM ALLOWS YOU TO GO TO THAT PARAMORE GIG IN OCTOBER 2006! Do your research so she knows that there is in fact NO ecstacy being handed out at the door at Manchester Students' Union. If you don't get to go to this gig, you'll have to wait a whole 3 more years to see them D:

Oh, and Avril Lavigne isn't all that cool, really. Please start listening to some real music.
    (But, do join the Avril forums when you're 13. You'll meet someone very special on there )

Love,
    xconfetti (age 18)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billydodger)
    Say you could write a letter now, with all your wisdom, knowledge, experience and hindsight. Pick an age and dispense this advice.

Mine: age 11
    Your secondary school is actual ****. You have ambitions and goals you want to achieve. I know it's difficult but find a way to escape. There are bursaries and scholarships available.
    Be nice to your mum. I know you are really upset that she keeps calling you "evil" and "vile" but at the end of the day she has the money and power. Also, do not accept your dad hitting you. Break off any contact with him now. He will never help you or amount to anything.
    You'll have some good and bad friends. Finding out who is who is your own quest. But really don't let them dictate what you do with your life. Also, don't get hung up about 'fitting in'. People who are 'cool' now die age 18 of drug overdose/are in prison/have babies etc.
    Being bullied is NOT your fault. Make a massive fuss (but hopefully you won't be at that school anyway)
    Eat healthily. Be confident, nobody is inherently 'better' than you. Buy stocks in Tesco.

Yours sincerely,
    you aged 18!!

OK, now all of you go!!!
    Problem... apart from the one about leaving your dad they are all pointless, since you are saying them now you have indeed discoverd the truths of these life situations on your own and by telling a past self this infomation you would gain little.

ReputationRep:
    Age 16 years 6 months 29 days
    -By a euromillions ticket with numbers 9 - 30 - 35 - 39 - 46 and lucky stars 3 - 7
    -Announce your winnings public
    -Open maximum bets with every brooker in the world that you will successfully "guess" the numbers to the next draw.
    -By a euromillion ticket in 6 days with numbers 2 - 31 - 36 - 38 - 43
    -Announce your winnings public
    -Purchase as many shares in Camelot Group PLC as possible
    -Announce to the public that you will successfully "guess" the numbers to the next draw and buy another ticket choose any numbers apart from 4 - 5 - 9 - 11 - 39.
    -Tell as many people as possible the numbers you have chosen and then announce it on television a day before the draw.
    -Profit.

ReputationRep:
    Dear 10 year old me,

From my memory, you should be doing your SATs right now :rolleyes:

Your not gonna be short and chubby forever lol You'll grow, to the surprise of your mates (who think asians are all short) Your sense of fashion will improve, and soon enough you'll get your fair share of attention from the opposite sex

And man up!Don't be a pushover

Notice that kid who sits behind you in english, he'll come to be one of your best mates And get rid of those glasses- I mean, where did you get the idea that trapezium glasses looked good?

Your family matter a great deal to you, however much you don't realise it. Treasure the moments you have with them, instead of wanting to eat with your entire family again after your brother go off to work!

Oh and procrastinating gets you nowhere, as you'll see from your mock results xD

Yours sincerely,

Your 15(soon to be 16) year old self

ReputationRep:
    Dear Katie (age thirteen),

Everything turns out cool, you crazy ho.
    Chill your perpetually worrisome beef.

Love Katie (age eighteen).

PS: for God's sake do something with your hair. You look like a shih tzu died on your head.

Dear 14 year old self: Do not date your friends older brother. You don't want a boyfriend yet, you just haven't learnt how to say no. On the same note don't let your friends leave you alone with him. Get up and walk away.

I know just how confused you are. Emotions are hard to handle, but please don't cut yourself. I know it feels good but think of the damage you are doing. Everything will make sense in the end, hang on in there

15 year old self:
    Don't write in your diary. Your mum will read it and it will kill her. You manage to figure it out for yourself in the end and you forgive him, but your mum can't manage it. It hurts you that they can't get along, so it's better she never finds out.

Don't go to the halloween party. Just don't.

Carry on hanging out with your friends and having a laugh because they won't be your friends forever. You won't realise it until later but although they ditch you, they help you get through some tough times without even knowing it.

Dont let people rely on you so much. It will make you into a doormat. People will use you so don't be too helpful. You need that energy to help yourself.

Eat more. You are not fat, and don't deserve to starve... and if you carry on with that ridiculous diet you will eventually cave and pile on the pounds.

Don't take so many pills. It's not good for you.

Age 16:
    Hang in there you've made it through the worst. You're about to meet the one person that means everything to you. <3 And when you do, listen to his advice. He wants you to recover and I promise he geniunely cares about you!

You will make something of yourself. You should be proud of who you are

Love, your older self.

ReputationRep:
    Get off your lazy arse and do some work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheatreLovely)
    ...You will get the best GCSE results in the school...
    Your younger self is gonna become lazy.

ReputationRep:
    Me: age 12

Seriously, don't bother. Commit suicide. Life will get so much better at 18/19, I promise you. Life will be brilliant then. Everything will have sorted itself out.But it's not worth it. Go kill yourself - be less of a coward this time.
    If you can't bring yourself to do it.. No, your mother is not going to become accepting for a long time to come, and the NHS will not help you. You will be alone. Have fun with it.

ReputationRep:
    To Ayesha, aged 11.

Through everything that happens keep your head held high and don't let anyone bring you down. It might seem like the whole worlds coming down around you but you'll get through it. Don't be so pessimistic all the time, try and live a little.
    Your school is crap academically, but enjoy it, as socially it will be the best time of your life. Your headteacher will become more hated by everyone (teachers included).

Just remember to smile

If only i can write to you again in a few years, to prevent you from making the endless mistakes you will do. xx

Ayesha, 16

ReputationRep:
    Dear 13 year old me
    First and foremost, stop worrying. The more you worry, the more awkward it is. Don’t be so sensitive treat it all as banter, and stop freaking people out with your bursts of rage. Having said that, your awkwardness will pass. If it seems like someone is a *****/too hard to get along with – they are. Don’t fret ? Also, these people don’t define the world – people do like you, so focus on them and forget the ones who don’t seem to.
    It’ll take you a while to find your style, but once you do, it’ll have been worth it, and you’ll realise that all the faux pas and crappy music will have defined you as a person today (and also you turn out alright looking without being freakish) So yeah...that white hair gel will eventually be forgivable, allow the haterz.
    There really is no need to pathologically lie about certain things. People know. They alwaaays know.
    Dear 16 year old me
    Be careful who you open yourself up to – not just verbally but emotionally. People can be cruel, but more importantly, they can be indifferent. Don’t let yourself become vulnerable to that. Try not to get cut up over people, I know it’s hard, but it really isn’t worth it. You move on, eventually. Just be friendly and fun, people seem to like you. Don’t listen to that girl going on about her ridiculous three-tiered system; it’s complete and utter *******s, same goes for anyone talking about "popularity", really. It's all very arbitrary.

Don’t leave phones/facebook open for prying eyes.
    Finally – know your limits. Also get a fake ID, kthnx.
    Much Love,
    17 year old me.

ReputationRep:
    To me, at any point up until age 18:

Grow out your damn fringe.

It's not the gingerness that makes you look ridiculous, it's the fact you look like the Dulux dog if he went back to the 80's for a haircut.

No love at all,

-Me now (no fringe, still ginger)

ReputationRep:
    Hi there 12 year old self,

Do not, under any circumstances, procrastinate.

That is all,
    You (when you have circled the sun 5 more times)

ReputationRep:
    Dear twelve year old me,

Enjoy life. Dont stress at such a young age about school. Tell your parents as soon as you start finding yourself with OCD, don't keep it a secret because frankly it will rule the next five years of your life.

Have more confidence in your own abilities and don't ever let anyone tell you you're not good enough.

If you don't continue with your love of drama you'll find yourself consumed with academia and you'll regret it.

Please try and be happy.

Just...take care of yourself okay kidda?

Love seventeen year old me.

This actually makes me feel sad :dong:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't it wou;d be too depressing to say 'those were the worst years of your life, they are still carrying on now but just are just less bad. bye x'

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.