Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Idiot drivers in the snow Watch

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had any issues in snow with my Dunlop Wintersport M3 tires. :dontknow:

(Although I have to say Nokian R winter tires were better, had them before, but they were stolen ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Which bit do you disagree with out of interest?

Say I'm going round a corner on a snowy road and the car starts to slide wide on the bend, and I'm in danger of going into the hedge.

Do you recommend people:

a) press the accelerator because according to your understanding of physics, rapidly spinning front wheels have better grip than rolling wheels?

b) slam their foot on the brake because according to your understanding of physics, locked rear wheels will get better grip than rolling wheels?

c) depress the clutch to remove all form of engine braking?

d) turn the wheel even more extremely so that they completely lose the back end because then at least they go into the hedge backwards?

I'm curious as to hear which option it is that you favour.
    :rolleyes:

If you use the accelerator you'll pull the front of the car in whichever direction the front wheels are pointing, since you're creating a force in that direction. This being basically what you want in order to pull the car back into a straight line.

If you lift off, you'll get lift-off oversteer (in a FWD car, remember) since the front end will be getting engine braking, and hence the moment acting on the car from this force will increase the angle of the skid - not desirable.

Take a front wheel drive car out in the snow, or watch any of the thousands of videos featuring FWD rally cars on youtube and you'll see what I mean.

What did I ever say about brakes or steering angle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)

If you use the accelerator you'll pull the front of the car in whichever direction the front wheels are pointing, since you're creating a force in that direction. This being basically what you want in order to pull the car back into a straight line.
    Oh for crying out loud. You really don't understand much about this do you?

If you are skidding, you have lost grip, and before you have to do anything else, you need to get it back. Pressing the accelerator will produce zero force because the wheels will just spin even harder and delay the onset of grip even further. Have you never seen people try to pull away on an icy road and spin their wheels? The only way to get the grip back is to get the wheels rolling naturally again. If you take your foot off the accelerator and turn into the skid a little, they should start rolling again in a second or so, and then you can begin to worry about the direction you are heading. This is the best advice you can give someone on a slippy road - take your feet off, turn the steering wheel into the skid to regain grip, then very gently accelerate and turn out of the skid ONCE you have regained some grip.

Your advice to press the accelerator straight away will wrap someone round a tree. Comparing an uncontrolled skid to to the carefully controlled skids of rally driving is naive in the extreme.

ReputationRep:
    Plus rally cars use studded tyres, not summer tyres completely inappropriate to the conditions.

ReputationRep:
    I particularly dislike motorists disregarding weather recommendations not to drive who then complain when hit by snowballs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    Unless they have blue flashing lights, I'm not pulling over for them in this weather. Driving recklessly in this weather is what leads you to BECOME the emergency.
    I hope that ignorant attitude comes back to haunt you, I take it from your post you have never rushed to a dying relatives bedside. :rolleyes:

Oh, and since when did pulling over to let others pass constitute reckless driving? Jeez, it's scary how few people know the highway code these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    I hope that ignorant attitude comes back to haunt you, I take it from your post you have never rushed to a dying relatives bedside. :rolleyes:

Oh, and since when did pulling over to let others pass constitute reckless driving? Jeez, it's scary how few people know the highway code these days.
    No if you drive too fast or rush in this weather, you won't be at their bedside anytime soon. Sometimes it is better going slower in this weather and getting there than going fast and putting the car in a ditch.

In the dry weather things are different, but in the snow and ice, rushing is just stupid.

ReputationRep:

If any of my relatives were dying, I'd be at their bedside already.

It's hardly an ignorant attitude to drive safely in snow and ice. Pulling over is all well and good, but in such conditions it might be very difficult to start again! The most I do is slow down and move closer to the left side of the road but I don't pull over for the reason I mentioned earlier.

I hope that ignorant attitude of yours comes back to haunt you. I don't think that dying relative would appreciate you driving at a stupid speed in snow and ice and end up going off the road and potentially killing yourself or an innocent person.

The ridiculous thing is it's not often the reckless drivers that get injured, it's an innocent, law abiding person. What a brilliant way to send off your relative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    Then he's got no right to be driving dangerously! If they're a doctor responding to an emergency then they should have a green flashing light if not then they're like any other driver.

They'd also be breaking the first rule of First Aid (and I imagine any form of medicine) by putting themselves and others into danger.

Thank you, when I said "blue flashing lights" I meant that in a general term, and didn't think to go into specifics of "green flashing lights" which is a doctor responding to an emergency. Of course I'd pull over for those also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)

If you lift off, you'll get lift-off oversteer (in a FWD car, remember) since the front end will be getting engine braking, and hence the moment acting on the car from this force will increase the angle of the skid - not desirable.

Take a front wheel drive car out in the snow, or watch any of the thousands of videos featuring FWD rally cars on youtube and you'll see what I mean.

What did I ever say about brakes or steering angle?

This is assuming you're driving a FWD car.

You turn the wheel in the direction of the skid, so if your back end is sliding out to the right, you turn the wheel to the right. This will allow you to control the direction of the skid to some extend, and should give you some traction back.

Then, you gently apply pressure onto the accelerator to bring traction to the front wheels, if you're lucky, you will have grip and the accelerating will being the back end in to line.

ReputationRep:
    This is assuming you're driving a FWD car.

You turn the wheel in the direction of the skid, so if your back end is sliding out to the right, you turn the wheel to the right. This will allow you to control the direction of the skid to some extend, and should give you some traction back.

Then, you gently apply pressure onto the accelerator to bring traction to the front wheels, if you're lucky, you will have grip and the accelerating will being the back end in to line.
    Yes, precisely.

ReputationRep:
    i love the way py0alb thinks hes some sort of amazing road safety god haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    No if you drive too fast or rush in this weather, you won't be at their bedside anytime soon. Sometimes it is better going slower in this weather and getting there than going fast and putting the car in a ditch.

In the dry weather things are different, but in the snow and ice, rushing is just stupid.
    I'm not talking about driving too fast, I'm talking about allowing others who wish to make progress to do as they wish. I would never deliberately impede on another driver's progress, I simply let them pass and continue driving safely myself.

If any of my relatives were dying, I'd be at their bedside already.

It's hardly an ignorant attitude to drive safely in snow and ice. Pulling over is all well and good, but in such conditions it might be very difficult to start again! The most I do is slow down and move closer to the left side of the road but I don't pull over for the reason I mentioned earlier.

I hope that ignorant attitude of yours comes back to haunt you. I don't think that dying relative would appreciate you driving at a stupid speed in snow and ice and end up going off the road and potentially killing yourself or an innocent person.

The ridiculous thing is it's not often the reckless drivers that get injured, it's an innocent, law abiding person. What a brilliant way to send off your relative.
    Yes, because you can really predict death can't you. :rolleyes: Sweetheart, that's why we have the emergency services; people die unexpectedly all the time.

If you are too afraid to pull over then you shouldn't be on the road. There's no time for nervous and incompetant drivers in the snow. What about if an ambulance needed to pass you? Would you simply carry on trundling along?

Speed? When did this debate ever become about speeding? We are simply talking about the OP travelling at a slower pace than the person behind them wishes to travel at. The OP could be at 18mph and the BMW wanting to do 20mph. Someone wanting to go faster than you doesn't mean they are going to break the law to do so.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking about driving too fast, I'm talking about allowing others who wish to make progress to do as they wish. I would never deliberately impede on another driver's progress, I simply let them pass and continue driving safely myself.

Oh I see, fair enough, I must have misunderstood your post, my bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Oh I see, fair enough, I must have misunderstood your post, my bad!

No problemo

ReputationRep:
    People who drive ridiculously slow in the snow piss me off. You have to keep momentum in the snow, especially uphill, so stopping still at every turn and roundabout when clearly nothing is coming is irresponsible and can cause people behind you to get stuck and slide backwards. Its about reading the road and not being an idiot. Driving overly snow does nothing but cause problems, you have to remember that you are in a tonne of metal box and if you aren't a numpty you will have winter tyres fitted, so you won't lose traction in most situations. You just need to feel the car and react accordingly, don't be a **** and drive around at 15mph cause everyone thinks you are a ******* and wants to hurt you. If you are nervous and scared of the snow you will back out of perfectly normal driving scenarios and put yourself and others at risk of crashing/getting stuck, and therefore shouldn't be driving

ReputationRep:
    Some people were far too cautious in the snow.

Even when the roads were gritted, some people insisted on driving about 5mph everywhere. I was almost late for work because some idiot was driving incredibly slow through the city centre which was devoid of snow!

People should understand the risks, but within reason. Some people actually have to get places; we can't wait on Sunday drivers plodding their way slowly through every back road in the country!

Slow drivers cause other people to try reckless manoeuvres. If I'm late work and someone is driving incredibly slow in front of me, I will try to overtake them.

Have some consideration for other drivers. These people wouldn't be out on the roads if they didn't have to be, and they certainly wouldn't be rushing around. So, if you can afford to take your time driving around at 5mph, you clearly have no reason to be on the roads.

Sorry about the rant, but I have been stuck behind so many slow and dangerous drivers in the past couple of weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamienight60)
    i love the way py0alb thinks hes some sort of amazing road safety god haha
    Not at all; lets face it, it hardly takes a genius to see the stupidity of some of the moronic advice put forward on this thread. "If you start to skid when going round a bend, press the accelerator" being one of the finest examples so far.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.