Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Unless Adobe and Apple make up, then no that's not going to happen. Saying that, HTML5 is supposed to be coming out, which would mean there would be no need for flash any more, in a couple of years or so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    The nature of tablets? A tablet is supposed to be available for browsing, watching films, reading ebooks and be very portable. As they have far less features, they should then cost less than laptops and so on.

I think its shocking that the best netbook on the market has a proper OS and endless possibilities is cheaper than a tablet with an OS that is extremely basic.

The tablets today are very basic in what they do and very very overpriced. I'd never buy one to be fair. I'd get a 250gb Archos before an iPad. The Archos costs a fraction of the price and has far more memory than the iPad and are based.

Unless tablets come down in price to about the same/slightly lower price of a netbook then I'm never ever going to think about buying one. Netbooks are better than tablets in every way other than reading ebooks and watching films. To me, those two things do not justify the massive extra cost.
    With all due respect, unless you actually learn how to quote properly then I can hardly be expected to respond to any on the points you raise.
    Oh yes, and try and turn the bold off.

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate it.

Its just its defended massively yet the features it has do not justify the cost - thats my only gripe.

Maybe when the iPad 3 or 4 come out it will offer more but at the moment the price is a joke. The price of the majority of the iPads competitors are a joke.

The prices should be around the same prices as netbooks - if that happened then sales would go up massively but as it stands you do not get value for money.

I'm getting a MBP. The iPad is a techno-toy.
    This idea that the ipad (or anything else for that matter) is expensive is really a rather mute point. The fact that you may find it expensive when compared to your wealth is another point altogether. I happen to find it jolly cheap, but then again I work as opposed to studying.

I can see from the points that you make that entering into a debate would be fruitless. You make ridiculous statements e.g. "The prices should be around the same prices as netbooks " ..... silly comments based on absolutely nothing do not belong in a discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un-besito)
    I got an iPad for Christmas yesterday, so am a bit disappointed to see that it's not very popular at all! I love it, but I'm not using mine for academic purposes really.
    It is very popular, especially with people who actually own them!!
    You will find that those who hold the strongest Anti-Ipad views are either people who have never used them or people who would like a tablet, but alas, cannot afford them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    This idea that the ipad (or anything else for that matter) is expensive is really a rather mute point.
    How so? When someone asks should I buy x item, then people will say y item is better value for money

The fact that you may find it expensive when compared to your wealth is another point altogether. I happen to find it jolly cheap, but then again I work as opposed to studying.
    It's not about money, but value for money. I have enough money to pay for the device but it is definitely not value for money.

I can see from the points that you make that entering into a debate would be fruitless. You make ridiculous statements e.g. "The prices should be around the same prices as netbooks " ..... silly comments based on absolutely nothing do not belong in a discussion.

How is that a silly statement? What can the iPad do that laptops can not?

You will find that those who hold the strongest Anti-Ipad views are either people who have never used them or people who would like a tablet, but alas, cannot afford them.
    I've used one and I can afford one. I don't want the iPad and I never will. To me, they do not represent value for money whatsoever. To type, you would have to either spend a long time tapping the screen or would have to invest in an external keyboard.

Even if I was earning say 50K or so, I would certainly, certainly not buy an iPad as they are not good value, compared to other devices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    How so? When someone asks should I buy x item, then people will say y item is better value for money
    Unfortunately you have failed to understand a clearly made point.

It's not about money, but value for money. I have enough money to pay for the device but it is definitely not value for money.
    I would disagree and claim that it is "not value for money", at least that is my experience.

How is that a silly statement? What can the iPad do that laptops can not?
    This is of course an even sillier statement that has nothing to do with the point I made. Well done.
    I merely pointed out that you dictated that they should be the same price as a tablet and seemingly you had not basis to make such a statement.

I've used one and I can afford one. I don't want the iPad and I never will. To me, they do not represent value for money whatsoever. To type, you would have to either spend a long time tapping the screen or would have to invest in an external keyboard.
    Again, you clearly miss the point of a tablet.
    (i) I rarely use the tablet to type extensive reports.
    (ii) If I do so when travelling then I use a bluetooth keyboard.
    (ii) I have half a dozen other machines that I use when writing long reports.

etc...
    Gosh, this is getting tedious ....

Even if I was earning say 50K or so, I would certainly, certainly not buy an iPad as they are not good value, compared to other devices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluewater69)
    Does the iPad 2 have flash?
    Thats a joke right?

ReputationRep:
    I am afraid that this says rather more about you than it does about anyone else.
    All computers are analysed, designed and built for certain needs/requirements, right?

I think tablets are good devices, but are only really suitable for certain requirements. One can program on a notebook or desktop, but obviously tablets aren't designed for programming. I disagree with people who say they're a waste of money, since for specific uses they make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deema)
    I was thinking about getting one for university too. I'm going to be studying English Literature so it's more for the purpose of buying and storing e-books so that my room isn't cluttered and I don't break my back carrying a million books. Is it worth the investment?
    If its the books you want then get a Kindle, they are truly a very good piece of equipment, as the e-ink technology means the screen glare doesn't hurt your eyes and can be read outside without the sun causing you to reflect in the screen! Also as your studying English Literature it might interest you to know that most the classics are free and you can buy the complete works of many authors cheaply for example I bought Dickens today for $3.00 - if you want to know anymore feel free to PM me mine was a birthday present and I LOVE it :P

ReputationRep:
    For books, then a Kindle/Sony book reader would be a hell of a lot better than the iPad

ReputationRep:
    Whoever negged me will be pleased to know that I am writing this comment on my beautiful lovely iPad I don't care if you think it's expensive, if I can afford it I'm allowed to use and enjoy it...jeez! Typing is very easy and not an issue at all, its just the same (well, easier) as typing on a touch screen phone. I'm not saying that it's the best device of it's type out there at the moment, but it's great for me and what I've been using it for.

ReputationRep:
    With all due respect, unless you actually learn how to quote properly then I can hardly be expected to respond to any on the points you raise.
    Oh yes, and try and turn the bold off.
    With all due respect, you clearly responded against the use of my grammar/quotes as your defence of the iPad failed on all levels.

I rest my case.

PS. Sorry if my grammar/quote offended you but I'm sure there are far more serious things going on in the world.

ReputationRep:
    This idea that the ipad (or anything else for that matter) is expensive is really a rather mute point. The fact that you may find it expensive when compared to your wealth is another point altogether. I happen to find it jolly cheap, but then again I work as opposed to studying.

How is the price of something a mute point ? Its one of the most important factors when considering to purchase ANYTHING :facepalm:

Your attitude clearly shows you have money to burn. Maybe you should be saving that hard earned money for the future of your children/future children instead of splashing that money on gadgets that are too expensive for what they are.

Why shouldn't the price of the iPad be around the same price as a netbook? A netbook is a far far superior device and has a lot more features. Its also light enoguh to carry around just like an iPad.

The iPad offers nothing more than a netbook does so why such the massive hike in price? The massive hike in price is because its made by Apple and so many people just love anything with an Apple logo on it, its unbelievable.

I'm really not arsed to be honest. If people want to waste hard earned cash on something when they can purchase something equally if not more powerful for less with far superior features then that's their business.

The only appeal of a macbook pro is the screen size being large and better quality than that of a netbook. However, that does not justify the mass increase in cost - its a joke. Especially when you can't even play YouTube videos on it.

I can't see an iPad being a worthwhile purchase until the 3rd or 4th generation of them come out when they'll more than likely feature a camera, USB port(s), bluetooth, flash - if it ever gets sorted and other features.

ReputationRep:
    No **** Sherlock :facepalm:

People who purchased them are not going to admit that paying that much for a device was an absurd purchase are they?

The most people who hate tablets are those that can afford higher spec devices/computers and cannot see the point in a very basic device for such an extortionate cost. As i've stated - i've had one and returned it as it is not as good as people make it out to be.

Why get an iPad when I can get a MBP 8gb Ram 128gb SSD and run OS X and Windows 7 on it for £1150? I can then use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable to watch films on the current 27inch HDMI PC Monitor I have to watch films when at home or set it up for me and a few friends to watch something.

Why on earth would I spend roughly half that £1150 on an iPad when I can get a far more powerful machine that does 100x more things than the iPad and in time will probably cost me less as the work I do on it will make me profit which will cover the cost of expenditure.

Face it the iPad is a novelty toy that people sooner or later will get bored of.

ReputationRep:
    The massive hike in price is because its made by Apple and so many people just love anything with an Apple logo on it, its unbelievable.
    Except thats not the reason with the iPad.
    Its nearest competitor (the Galaxy Tab) is actually more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hardy_4_paws)
    If its the books you want then get a Kindle, they are truly a very good piece of equipment, as the e-ink technology means the screen glare doesn't hurt your eyes and can be read outside without the sun causing you to reflect in the screen! Also as your studying English Literature it might interest you to know that most the classics are free and you can buy the complete works of many authors cheaply for example I bought Dickens today for $3.00 - if you want to know anymore feel free to PM me mine was a birthday present and I LOVE it :P
    Yes but the kindle is value for money. The price of it is in the range its expected to be.

It doesn't cost well over the price of the netbook because it doesn't do everything netbooks are capable of. That's why the Kindle in my opinion has been marketed brilliantly.

If the iPad was better value for money then more people would purchase it.

The current specs are like this

iPad - doesn't do as much of a netbook - £500 roughly
    Netbook - does more than an iPad - £250-300 roughly

Ferrari - Good specs - costs less than the focus
    Ford Focus - poor specs - costs more than the ferrari

Why pay more for less? it doesnt make sense. I'd purchase a netbook over the iPad every time.

ReputationRep:
    Again, as I have said its not just the iPad that is fairly expensive. All decent tablets are.

ReputationRep:
    With all due respect, you clearly responded against the use of my grammar/quotes as your defence of the iPad failed on all levels.

I rest my case.

PS. Sorry if my grammar/quote offended you but I'm sure there are far more serious things going on in the world.
    Nothing to do with GrAmMaR.
    If you quote in such a way that your responses are mixed in with a quote and then this is offered as a quote in its own right then it becomes more than a little tedious replying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Except thats not the reason with the iPad.
    Its nearest competitor (the Galaxy Tab) is actually more expensive.
    But again, that is another joke of a device.

I don't see the point of tablets until their prices come down because they do not offer anything new in terms of technology over a netbook - they offer less against most, if not all.

People are purely paying for the design of a tablet.

ReputationRep:
    How is the price of something a mute point ? Its one of the most important factors when considering to purchase ANYTHING :facepalm:
    Alas, you seem to have missed the point and then attempted to respond to something that I did not actually say ....

To simplify, the fact that you find something expensive does not mean that it is expensive.

Your attitude clearly shows you have money to burn. Maybe you should be saving that hard earned money for the future of your children/future children instead of splashing that money on gadgets that are too expensive for what they are.
    You really don't need to worry on my behalf, I have plenty of savings.

Why shouldn't the price of the iPad be around the same price as a netbook? A netbook is a far far superior device and has a lot more features. Its also light enoguh to carry around just like an iPad.
    Clearly a lack of understanding with regards to the concept of pricing.
    2 items should not cost about the same just because you think that they should.

The iPad offers nothing more than a netbook does so why such the massive hike in price? The massive hike in price is because its made by Apple and so many people just love anything with an Apple logo on it, its unbelievable.
    You really need to stop comparing the 2 items, they are not the same....
    I do not hold this seemingly immature view that you have, i.e. that there is some form of netbook v tablet battle!! I have an M11x too and like that very much as well..

I'm really not arsed to be honest. If people want to waste hard earned cash on something when they can purchase something equally if not more powerful for less with far superior features then that's their business.
    If you really are not bothered, then perhaps it is time for you to give it a rest.

The only appeal of a macbook pro is the screen size being large and better quality than that of a netbook. However, that does not justify the mass increase in cost - its a joke. Especially when you can't even play YouTube videos on it.
    Eh??>>> Why have we now jumped to macbook pro's??
    Your line of argument is becoming confused/ confusing?

QUOTE=jb9191;29068020]
    I can't see an iPad being a worthwhile purchase until the 3rd or 4th generation of them come out when they'll more than likely feature a camera, USB port(s), bluetooth, flash - if it ever gets sorted and other features.[/QUOTE]
    (i) why would I want a camera on it? I already have a nice canon..
    (ii) Not sure what I would want a USB for either..
    (iii) It has bluetooth....
    (iv) I am with you to dome degree with regards to the flash..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.