Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I saw this and I have to say it was brilliant. However for me the best film of the year so far (for me) was The King's Speech. This has come a very close second I'd recommend it to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    I watched it... Can't believe I watched it....
    1 hour and 47 minutes movie in 1 hour and 15 minutes. Was told its filled with lesbian stuff and what not. Well, it wasn't. only 1 softcore type scene. Quite a few sexual references. That's it. And the rest? Boring. Was kinda interesting towards the end. Only really watched it because of Natalie Portman.

3/10 for it. >_< Definitely not my type of move LOL. My female friend who told me about it told me I shouldn't watch it and that I won't like it. Neither did she. And she was right!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sushidelight)
    Good, yet not amazing.

But good.

(Original post by Derezzed)
    Amazing.
    Ooo, the controversy.

ReputationRep:
    Great. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I loved the movie to be honest. However, could some answer me this question:
    Did the sex scene happen (Nina & Lilly) and the fighting finale scene? I'd have to think it over again, but I'm still not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielleT192)
    I loved the movie to be honest. However, could some answer me this question:
    Did the sex scene happen (Nina & Lilly) and the fighting finale scene? I'd have to think it over again, but I'm still not sure.
    Apparently the sex scene was actually with one of those guys she was talking to at the club, and not Lilly, although I'm not 100% sure on that.

The fighting bit was obviously with herself, showing her kind of in-fighting between the black and white swan's inside her :P
    That's why she ended up bleeding because she had stabbed herself.

I quite liked the movie to be honest, Natalie Portman was pretty well cast as Nina in my opinion, kinda timid and petite, perfect for the sort of frigid ballet dancer character.
    Probably 7.5/10 for me.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a few comments from ballet dancers like the one in the guardian, they miss the point tbh. It's not a documentary about ballet dancers so I doubt 99.9% of people are going to be watching it thinking 'oh, that port de bras looks a bit off' or looking for a realistic portrayal of the day to day trials and tribulations of a ballet dancer, the film's blatantly melodramatic. And yeah, Natalie Portman's not going to dance as well as a professional whose been doing it all their lives, but equally most dancers aren't going to act as well as Natalie Portman if they just take it up for a film role :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Here's a clip showing how some of the effects were achieved. http://www.slashfilm.com/watch-demo-...ys-black-swan/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la-dauphine)
    The beauty of ballet is that the dancers spend years in training in order to portray deep, complex characters - just like an actor would. Portman is a fantastic actor, but her performance in Black Swan would look shoddy to a professional and it would have been quite easy to cast a dancer instead. It's my opinion - there's no need to attack it like that.

You'll actually find that Natalie Portman didn't do all of the dancing herself. A great deal, if not all of the shots where you see her whole body as she dances are actually a professional dancer, and in post-production they superimposed Portman's face onto the body. Just watch the video in this link:http://www.slashfilm.com/watch-demo-...ys-black-swan/.

So what you are calling a performance which would look shoddy to a professional actually is a professional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Devil)
    I saw this and I have to say it was brilliant. However for me the best film of the year so far (for me) was The King's Speech. This has come a very close second I'd recommend it to anyone.
    hmm..I was disappointed by the King's Speech. Given how everyone is raving about it. (I have never really bought into the whole deification of Mr Firth either, I must say). I suspect that it's like anything with that magical combo of period piece and royalty..we're suckers for it! It was fine, don't get me wrong. But it seemed to me rather ordinary, not exceptional. More like Sunday afternoon TV, than cinema.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catoutofthebag)
    You'll actually find that Natalie Portman didn't do all of the dancing herself. A great deal, if not all of the shots where you see her whole body as she dances are actually a professional dancer, and in post-production they superimposed Portman's face onto the body. Just watch the video in this link:http://www.slashfilm.com/watch-demo-...ys-black-swan/.

So what you are calling a performance which would look shoddy to a professional actually is a professional.
    I clicked on the link and it said "The video is not found". The point is though that it did look a bit shoddy to ballet professionals, because she was supposed to be world class.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I do slightly agree with you from the perspective of it bieng a bit like a Sunday Afternoon film and I understand where you're coming from. Yes, However, I found it ticked all the boxes for me as a fan of History as well as period based Drama's and the fact that my celebrity crush is Helena Bonham Carter and I enjoy Colin Firth's acting. I hope that he picks up Best Actor at the Oscars.

PS: I love your username it is brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la-dauphine)
    I clicked on the link and it said "The video is not found". The point is though that it did look a bit shoddy to ballet professionals, because she was supposed to be world class.
    Hmm it works fine for me. Someone else posted the link just before me, maybe that works.

Whether it still ends up looking shoddy to ballet professionals or not, your complaint was that they should have hired a professional ballet dancer instead of Portman .. well they sort of did.

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed the film, it was breathtaking and sickening all at the same time! Some bits I don't understand and will have to watch them again, but I thought it was brilliant, and Natalie Portman was amazing, especially considering she'd only have five months of ballet training or something! Definitely one of the films of the year, but I LOVED the King's Speech as well!

ReputationRep:
    You'll actually find that Natalie Portman didn't do all of the dancing herself. A great deal, if not all of the shots where you see her whole body as she dances are actually a professional dancer, and in post-production they superimposed Portman's face onto the body. Just watch the video in this link:http://www.slashfilm.com/watch-demo-reel-effects-darren-aronofskys-black-swan/.

:erm: that's disappointing, if they did this I don't understand what the point of Natalie's year of uber intensive training was? apart from getting her to look like a ballerina/slightly emaciated, if even the smaller dance scenes like in her house were somebody else. ah well

ReputationRep:
    I read people saying if you play the club scene frame by frame something shows up or something... but what? Has anyone tried it?

ReputationRep:
    I really loved it in fact I am going to see it again tomorrow. It is really well done and Natalie Portman deserves that oscar nomination.

ReputationRep:
    She deserves to win the Oscar. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dirtyoldriver)
    :erm: that's disappointing, if they did this I don't understand what the point of Natalie's year of uber intensive training was? apart from getting her to look like a ballerina/slightly emaciated, if even the smaller dance scenes like in her house were somebody else. ah well
    Like someone else mentioned Portman has experience with ballet, so I think it was mostly the key scenes where it's not actually her (when I said 'if not all', that's just me covering my back incase I'm wrong ). Shots from the waist up are probably Portman, waist down someone else's legs and important full body shots will be a combination using effects, like in the video. So I don't think all that trainign would have been a waste.

ReputationRep:
    Like someone else mentioned Portman has experience with ballet, so I think it was mostly the key scenes where it's not actually her (when I said 'if not all', that's just me covering my back incase I'm wrong ). Shots from the waist up are probably Portman, waist down someone else's legs and important full body shots will be a combination using effects, like in the video. So I don't think all that trainign would have been a waste.
    She apparently had 10 months of training, and from the interview in the Telegraph a week or two ago I seem to remember that she did the "easy" shots- I'm sure they had a professional to do the full routines because I don't think there's any way you could carry that off unless you had been dancing for a pretty long time! So what you're saying makes sense!
    I really liked the film, except that it was billed as a "psychological thriller". Fell free to disagree because I'm a wuss, but some of the bits in it (Winona Ryder stabbing herself etc) had more of a scary feel that I'd associate with a horror film. But as I said, I'm a massive wuss when it comes to scary films and anything that approaches gore.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.