Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have read most of the previous posts (not all) and found something that came up multiple times, that KCL is not well-known internationally and people don't know about it abroad (while they do know about LSE/Imperial/UCL). This is wrong. A surprisingly huge amount of people (college students mostly) I know from Eastern and Western Europe, and the States know about KCL and think of it very highly. I think people in the UK think there is a bigger gap between LSE/Imp/UCL and KCL, while if you go abroad, you'll find that most people don't really see (or care about) that difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I know what you mean. I would guess it's because there's so many unis with more reputation and which are seen as 'better' in London, it's quite highly concentrated. For sciences there's Imperial, for social sciences there's UCL and LSE. Whilst KCL is very good, it's pipped by these universities which are seen as the top. However, the grade requirements are pretty much the same, so people with the grades are more likely to go to UCL than KCL and thus KCL may be overlooked by the people with the best grades, so to speak.

QMUL is slightly lower than KCL (in terms of reputation anyway), and I believe the grade requirements are (on average) less, so it's more sought after by the more average people (who are the majority) - it's not for the people with the top grades, but it's a good university, and one which people (who maybe aren't the AAAA type, but more the ABB) would be happy to go to, but people aiming to go to UCL/LSE/ICL/KCL might be a bit miffed about.

So to conclude, people with 'good' but not 'amazing' grades will be applying for QMUL.
    And people with 'amazing' grades will be applying for LSE/UCL etc..
    Doesn't leave a lot of room for KCL.
    Just a guess.
    So people with AAA wouldn't apply for Medicine or Dentistry at King's or QMUL aka Bart's and the London because it would be seen as "beneath them" despite the standard offer being AAA at both King's and QMUL for those courses?

Perhaps for other courses like social sciences etc sure KCL and QMUL may be dwarfed by its neighbours but you really can't bring that argument in with regards to Medicine/Dentistry/Allied healthcare courses which are extremely competitive nationally.

Infact King's perhaps has one of the most decorated histories as far as healthcare is concerned; one of the oldest medical and nursing schools in Europe, by far the largest in Europe, Guy's Hospital is one of the largest in the world (hence huge clinical experience), contribution to groundbreaking research including discovery of the structure of DNA.....if it was based on that alone King's would be the most "prestigious" medical school not only in the UK but probably the world.

Besides I doubt many medics with "amazing" grades would be applying to the London School of Economics (the clue is in the name).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erklam)
    I have read most of the previous posts (not all) and found something that came up multiple times, that KCL is not well-known internationally and people don't know about it abroad (while they do know about LSE/Imperial/UCL). This is wrong. A surprisingly huge amount of people (college students mostly) I know from Eastern and Western Europe, and the States know about KCL and think of it very highly. I think people in the UK think there is a bigger gap between LSE/Imp/UCL and KCL, while if you go abroad, you'll find that most people don't really see (or care about) that difference.
    If people from abroad associated with the medical/healthcare professions haven't heard of King's College London then they're not really worth their salt.

As I mentioned King's has one of the largest clinical bases of any medical school in the UK/Europe and possibly one of the largest in the world and has been at the forefront of much groundbreaking clinical research. I don't think its prestige as an institution is judged by how well (or how little) it is known by students on an internet forum so I think anyone associated with KCL can sleep easy at night with that thought in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al Murray)
    So people with AAA wouldn't apply for Medicine or Dentistry at King's or QMUL aka Bart's and the London because it would be seen as "beneath them" despite the standard offer being AAA at both King's and QMUL for those courses?

Perhaps for other courses like social sciences etc sure KCL and QMUL may be dwarfed by its neighbours but you really can't bring that argument in with regards to Medicine/Dentistry/Allied healthcare courses which are extremely competitive nationally.

Infact King's perhaps has one of the most decorated histories as far as healthcare is concerned; one of the oldest medical and nursing schools in Europe, by far the largest in Europe, Guy's Hospital is one of the largest in the world (hence huge clinical experience), contribution to groundbreaking research including discovery of the structure of DNA.....if it was based on that alone King's would be the most "prestigious" medical school not only in the UK but probably the world.

Besides I doubt many medics with "amazing" grades would be applying to the London School of Economics (the clue is in the name).
    Is this thread in the medicine section? No.

Is this thread about the medical schools of these unis? No.

Is it about the university as a whole, in which case the vast, vast majority are not a part of the medical school? Yes.

Is my post highly generalised? Yes.

I also doubt any medics would be applying to LSE, but since I'm talking about the universities as a whole, in which the vast majority of students are not med students, your post is somewhat redundant.

ReputationRep:
    Actually KCL is ranked internationally - it is in the top 25 unis of the world and this year it came first in the Sunday times league tables

Compared to other unis like UCL and Imperial KCL is more laid back and the students generally are also more laid back (this is just my opinion)

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, plenty of good universities seem underrated on here though. KCL is going to be MASSIVE in some circles from next year though with their new Liberal Arts BA - it's going to be the next best place to go if you can't get into PPE/PPS and will probably compete well with UCLs ESPS.

ReputationRep:
    It's 21st in the world according to this: http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...s/2010/results .

That's a very impressive ranking above all the other top universities which aren't Oxbridge or in London. It shows that KCL is in the same field as Warwick, York, Edinburgh, Bristol- and with better graduate prospects according to:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...e.htm?ipg=8726

But people will choose what they prefer - if you want to go to an ancient university, Edinburgh would appeal more for instance and would have an undeniably recognisable name. But KCL has a large amount of history to it as well in terms of English universities.

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE King's College London! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

ReputationRep:
    tbf KCL is "University of Oxbridge rejects", but nonetheless a very very good university that is able to compete on an international scale

and before anybody neg reps this statement....i am an Oxbridge reject and KCL applicant :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonic_youth)
    There's something like 61 female students to every 39 males at KCL.
    This has just persuaded me to apply... are they hot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erklam)
    You hear much more about KCL here (Portugal) than any of those other three colleges, at least for EU and Competition Law (my area).

ReputationRep:
    KCL has a higher reputation internationally than in the UK alone. Not that it doesn't have a good rep here though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperGuy)
    It seems to me that when people speak about the London universities, Imperial, UCL and LSE come up very often, but I hardly ever see people raving about KCL in the same way. An interesting note to this is that I only ever seem to observe this phenomenon on TSR.

KCL competes with these universities pretty well on the international stage (more so than many of the universities in the usual top ten) , and is arguable the most centrally located London university (near to loads of interesting, and a lot of the time, expensive places).

I often see people raving about how Nottingham and Exeter are in these 'rah' top tens, while they almost completely ignore King's College, which, from what I've heard and seen, attracts large numbers of those from priveleged, well educated backgrounds.

Basically, on TSR, KCL seems to be extremely underrated in many senses.

Care to give reasons as to why this is?

*I'm not a KCL student, nor am I set on applying......although I may. For the pedants, I'm speaking in a general sense, the title isn't complete gospel....duh.*

Cause it's rubbish

ReputationRep:
    If anything, Imperial gets far less mention than it deserves.

ReputationRep:
    Pink Friday, when you refer to the high international reputation of King's do you mean the Times Higher article 'International Scholars denounce the madness of King's, and the letters about the proposed 'disinvestment' in computational Linguistics and in Palaeography signed by large numbers of international scholars, or simply about King's desire to link itself to every Asian dental school that will pay them for the tie?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)
    tbf KCL is "University of Oxbridge rejects", but nonetheless a very very good university that is able to compete on an international scale

and before anybody neg reps this statement....i am an Oxbridge reject and KCL applicant :P
    er no it isn't, i have a friend that rejected cambridge to go to kings actually
    oxbridge rejects tend to go to warwick or durham i don't know

i'd rather go to durham than oxford to be honest

ReputationRep:
    On an international level KCL has a monster rep...i mean i have family in USA/Canada who have all heard of KCL being > UCL,LSE,ICL etc - im not saying this is necessarily the case but because King's graduates have one of the highest success rates , as graduates, so it's hardly surprising this is case...

just look at any league table and rank in the order of graduate prospects - last time i checked kings was above UCL for graduate prospects!

so as they say: h8erz r gonna h8; Kings a great uni and has a world class rep. for a reason

safe

ReputationRep:
    aaaaaaargh who f**king cares you sad sad people

a couple years after you graduate your alma mater won't matter for **** anyway unless it's Oxbridge (lolconnections).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.