Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

• View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

ReputationRep:
    Sidenote: Buying my kindle right now. Whoever put the thought in my head is the devil :cry2:

And now I have to wait for it to get here

ReputationRep:
    Ah I currently am in the middle of reading The Passage. I'm not sure on it. I'm only about 5 chapters into it, but it hasn't grasped me yet. Sadly, I'm the type of reader, where if a book doesn't grasp me within the first few pages, it gets put back on the shelf and eventually given to charity. But this book was seriously hyped up, so I'm hoping it'll get better, so I'm being a bit more patient with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Ah I currently am in the middle of reading The Passage. I'm not sure on it. I'm only about 5 chapters into it, but it hasn't grasped me yet. Sadly, I'm the type of reader, where if a book doesn't grasp me within the first few pages, it gets put back on the shelf and eventually given to charity. But this book was seriously hyped up, so I'm hoping it'll get better, so I'm being a bit more patient with it.
    I'm exactly the same when it comes to books grabbing me, but that may be because I have the attention span of a 3 year old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LovesJellyTots)
    I'm exactly the same when it comes to books grabbing me, but that may be because I have the attention span of a 3 year old
    My attention span is about the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    My attention span is about the same
    Well, that explains it then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LovesJellyTots)
    Sidenote: Buying my kindle right now. Whoever put the thought in my head is the devil :cry2:

And now I have to wait for it to get here
    Ah. That must be me. Sorry!
    :devil3:

I don't expect it to replace traditional books at all - but hopefully it will help with my storage problems, which are getting chronic (maybe I'll finally agree to send a few more to the charity shop), as well as being more convenient out and about. I also hope that in the future, more law books will be available electronically, and maybe they'll even charge less for the new editions :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Festina lente)
    Ah. That must be me. Sorry!
    :devil3:
    I guess I can forgive you, I'm just nice like that In fact I should be thanking you, I'm really excited to use it :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Festina lente)
    I don't expect it to replace traditional books at all - but hopefully it will help with my storage problems, which are getting chronic (maybe I'll finally agree to send a few more to the charity shop), as well as being more convenient out and about. I also hope that in the future, more law books will be available electronically, and maybe they'll even charge less for the new editions :daydreaming:
    They already have some of my (history) textbooks in kindle version and loads are available in various ebook formats. The main pulling point for me wasn't fiction books but the vast number of electronic books and journal articles I have to read because they're always out of the library/I get there too late :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently reading The Portrait of a Lady and just finished Devils Cub by Georgette Heyer. The first books has come to a stand still after I sped through the first 150 pages or so, it totally had me hooked and now - nothing seems to be happening! Naturally, I'm getting kind of bored as I also have the attention span of a 3 year old

Devils Cub on the other hand is a fantastic read! I'm a complete GH fan. Her books are a sort of comfort read for me now and some of the books I have by her are becoming a tad bit worn

I'd probably describe here (if you havn't read her books) as a mix of Jane Austen and Sophie Kinsella

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Masquerador.)
    I'm currently reading The Portrait of a Lady and just finished Devils Cub by Georgette Heyer. The first books has come to a stand still after I sped through the first 150 pages or so, it totally had me hooked and now - nothing seems to be happening! Naturally, I'm getting kind of bored as I also have the attention span of a 3 year old

Devils Cub on the other hand is a fantastic read! I'm a complete GH fan. Her books are a sort of comfort read for me now and some of the books I have by her are becoming a tad bit worn

I'd probably describe here (if you havn't read her books) as a mix of Jane Austen and Sophie Kinsella
    :puke: Austen

ReputationRep:
    I'm on my third book in 3 days. I have the reading bug back! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Austen :puke:
    what?! :eek::dry:

I did however laugh at the fact you're so insulted by my mentioning Austen but appear fine with Sophie Kinsella ...are you a fan of hers by any chance? :awesome:

Oh, and what's wrong with Austen?

ReputationRep:
    :puke: Austen
    I know, don't get me started on Austen. The only thing worse than Pride and Prejudice is Wuthering Heights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Masquerador.)
    what?! :eek::dry:

I did however laugh at the fact you're so insulted by my mentioning Austen but appear fine with Sophie Kinsella ...are you a fan of hers by any chance? :awesome:

Oh, and what's wrong with Austen?
    I have never heard of Sophie Kinsella, in my ignorance

Austen.....gah.......it's all so, "Oh Mr Darcy! Who should I marry today! I have oh so many suitors! And it takes me 500 pages to decide on one! But revel! Revel in the backdrop of English manors and gently frolicking countrysides filled with all of my suitors, and sisters and oh so many horses and sheep! Oh Reader! For the next 100 pages, I'm going to walk alongside a pond with swans and go 'he loves me; he loves me not', for each and every one of my suitors!"

Spoiler:
    Show
    massive generalisation is massive :ninja:

I dunno. I seem to have a massive dislike towards most Victorian stuff. Bronte/Austen/Dickens etc...

ReputationRep:

Austen.....gah.......it's all so, "Oh Mr Darcy! Who should I marry today! I have oh so many suitors! And it takes me 500 pages to decide on one! But revel! Revel in the backdrop of English manors and gently frolicking countrysides filled with all of my suitors, and sisters and oh so many horses and sheep! Oh Reader! For the next 100 pages, I'm going to walk alongside a pond with swans and go 'he loves me; he loves me not', for each and every one of my suitors!"

Spoiler:
    Show

I dunno. I seem to have a massive dislike towards most Victorian stuff. Bronte/Austen/Dickens etc...
    I have very similar feelings on Austen and I respect anybody who puts them across in the way that I also like to . I do a very good vitriolic condensing of "Emma"... although I do like Dickens... very very much. What puts you off him?

I've just joined by the way. Heart of Darkness please :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How long is Heart of Darkness, and how easy is it to read? I'm trying to work out timings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    How long is Heart of Darkness, and how easy is it to read? I'm trying to work out timings.
    112 pages, apparently

(Original post by Gooner231)
    I have very similar feelings on Austen and I respect anybody who puts them across in the way that I also like to . I do a very good vitriolic condensing of "Emma"... although I do like Dickens... very very much. What puts you off him?

I've just joined by the way. Heart of Darkness please :rolleyes:
    hehehe

Spoiler:
    Show
    idea for Heart of Darkness. I'm trying to come up with some things that would warrant (reppage) prizes. competitions and the malarkey. you've just given me an idea.

I dunno. I think I'm, firstly, put off by length and the general setting. Meh. I think the length is the big thing. Though the verbiage and general 'thickness in words' also puts me off.

I'll need to read some more though to be able to fully comment.

It's been a long time since I've read Dickens.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    Not very - depends on the edition you have. It's not difficult to read.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

:rofl:
    I see what you're getting at (although yes, you are generalising massively) but, despite the continuous mentioning of horses and sheep - you must have reread a couple of lines one too many times there btw - I think it deserves to be called a good book, perhaps a slightly overrated one, but a good book nonetheless.

You can't really blame her for going on about the country side either, there wasn't tv programs and cars to discuss back then.

It's probably not all that surprising you havn't heard of Kinsella . chick lit is her forte :cool:

I'm not a great fan of the bronte sisters but I thought The Tenant of Wildfell hall was a great book. I picked it up not really expecting to read it - I do this alot- but I was surprised to find I actually enjoyed it.

ReputationRep:
    112 pages, apparently

hehehe

Spoiler:
    Show
    idea for Heart of Darkness. I'm trying to come up with some things that would warrant (reppage) prizes. competitions and the malarkey. you've just given me an idea.

I dunno. I think I'm, firstly, put off by length and the general setting. Meh. I think the length is the big thing. Though the verbiage and general 'thickness in words' also puts me off.

I'll need to read some more though to be able to fully comment.

It's been a long time since I've read Dickens.
    If the idea is a rather bold one (aha) then I like the idea very much...

Interesting. His books are long, very true I'd give something like Great Expectations a go if you want to get back into him, it's one of the more mysterious ones, but then, many of them are. Or Little Dorrit. I'm basically a Dickens fan amongst many other things

When browsing through what I've missed I saw that you got Inferno for Christmas? Gooooooooooooooooood choice whoever got it for you. So so good. And Paradise Lost too, although I'm surprised that word thickness puts you off Dickens, provided you've already read some of PL, haha. Although Milton uses that and syntax so so brilliantly...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.