Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Of course, like everyone has said, get all the free ones you can haha. It gives you the chance to read things you wouldn't normally, and even if you don't like it, you haven't lost anything.
      There are also fantastic opportunities, like the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe for around £1 I believe, maybe more/less.
      They are, without a doubt, worth the money though. Except for the 3G version - just unnecessary imo.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by aja89)
      I'm an English Literature student and I've treated myself to a Kindle for my non-academic reading for pleasure. I'd love to get recommendations from you guys as to which books I should download. Obviously I'm reading some pretty heavy, classical stuff on my course so I'm looking for novels that are just good reads, you know?

I was thinking about starting off with the Stieg Larsson Millennium series, but what else?

I like all kinds of genres, crime, mystery, thriller, comedy etc.

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
      hand to mouth to india by tom thumb its an amazing account of travelling http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hand-to-Mout...8210430&sr=8-3

ReputationRep:
      Get a refund and buy a proper book!!!
      :rant:

ReputationRep:
      Nothing better than the famous five and secret seven series! Childhood memories...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by StefanieLouise)
      Of course, like everyone has said, get all the free ones you can haha. It gives you the chance to read things you wouldn't normally, and even if you don't like it, you haven't lost anything.
      There are also fantastic opportunities, like the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe for around £1 I believe, maybe more/less.
      They are, without a doubt, worth the money though. Except for the 3G version - just unnecessary imo.
      Unnecessary for many people - invaluable for those of us who are travelling abroad and like the idea of free access to wikipedia/wikitravel without needing reliable wifi.

I love my Kindle, absolutely worth getting. It's encouraged me to get a lot of books that I wouldn't otherwise have thought worth the trouble. It's so easy to carry around and use that I can avoid boredom no matter where I am.

There is one problem I have, and it's nothing to do with the feel or smell of books. In a book, when an earlier event is referenced that I don't fully remember, I can just think, "Er, it was about here-ish", based on the thickness of the wad of pages, flip back to roughly the right place and find what I'm looking for. On the Kindle I have to make a guess at exactly which numbered location the event I'm looking for is, or go right back to the table of contents and go to the right chapter from there.

Honestly, though, the pros far, far outweigh the cons. It's an excellent investment.

As for recommended titles, I'd point to Ape Gone Insane's post as a good and varied list. I'd also add The Machine of Death, as a fantastic anthology of short stories spanning many genres, all based around this concept.

ReputationRep:
      If I were you, I'd attempt to get through a certain list of books. For instance, what The Guardian list as the 100 greatest novels of all time. , I hope to get through this before I die!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by insignificant)
      Nothing better than the famous five and secret seven series! Childhood memories...
      Yes I adore Enid Blytons! Seriously, I must have read the Malory Towers series like 30 times through. And adventure, circus, 'mystery' etc...
      Get all the books you used to read when you were a kid- when I'm feeling down I read them.

ReputationRep:
      I second these books/series: His Dark Materials, Black Magician trilogy, Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, Dark Tower.

I also recommend many of Stephen King's novels (best ones are Misery, Salem's Lot, The Shining, Carrie, The Dead Zone, Pet Sematary, Cujo and It), Chuck Palahniuk's stuff (best are Fight Club, Invisible Monsters, Lullaby, CHoke and Pygmy). Best two authors ever.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by chinaberry)
      Yes I adore Enid Blytons! Seriously, I must have read the Malory Towers series like 30 times through. And adventure, circus, 'mystery' etc...
      Get all the books you used to read when you were a kid- when I'm feeling down I read them.
      Awwww Mallory Towers! I used to wish I was like them! Haha... aww maan... these books make me miss my childhood.. Im gonna have to hunt them down and start reading them again... I'm house-bound at the moment anyway cos I'm ill so will kill some time! I remember my mum used to have to physically drag the books out of my hands cos I wouldn't do anything but read all day long and night at weekends and school nights hahah

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by insignificant)
      Awwww Mallory Towers! I used to wish I was like them! Haha... aww maan... these books make me miss my childhood.. Im gonna have to hunt them down and start reading them again... I'm house-bound at the moment anyway cos I'm ill so will kill some time! I remember my mum used to have to physically drag the books out of my hands cos I wouldn't do anything but read all day long and night at weekends and school nights hahah
      At one point my mum said "enough with the baby books- if you have to read them, do it in french!" And made me box them all up for the attic. I left two big boxes outside my room and instructed my dad to take them up to the attic. What does he do? He takes them to Oxfam! All those, just gone :eek: haha I wasn't too happy...

Pity you're ill At least it's half term though.

ReputationRep:
      For those of you who're a bit dubious about e-readers because you prefer real books, I have to say I was in the same situation. I used to think it was a bit pointless and it'd never be like a real book. I travelled before and half of my suitcase/backpack would just be books I had taken with me to read, and despite having 10 for 2 weeks, I'd always never have enough of them. I love books, I really do, I'm the kind of girls that goes to the library and wander around the aisles to pick a random book and smell the pages, I am a huge fan of old pretty books with engravings and pages that haven't even been separated properly.

And then I went on my year abroad. 20kg weight limit, 6 months away from home, and no way to find proper books in a language I could cope with where I was. I didn't know what to do, there were so many of them I had planned to read and that I just couldn't take as I had to replace them with actual "useful" stuff. I was so annoyed, I tried to take as many as I could, luckily, flying Easyjet meant my 30kg hand luggage (I am not even joking) would not be checked, and I managed to take about 10/15 books. No need to say I read them all in a month because there was no Internet, and I was left with nothing to do.

Then I started looking at e-readers, because I had seen an advert for the Kindle, and thought that after all, why not. I'm a bit of a techno-geek, so the new thing on the market obviously attracted me pretty quickly and easily, even though it was the opposite of my old big books that had an antique smell and a story of their own. I compared prices, e-readers, specs, etc, but the fact that I could put so many books on it just fascinated me. I have a collection of ebooks that I downloaded before I left, but it's not really comfortable to read on a laptop, and they were mainly textbooks I couldn't take with me. But this e-reader meant I could read thousands of books and it would take no space!

So I decided to get one for Christmas, I went for the Sony PRS-650 (touch screen, external memory and handwritten note-taking), and I absolutely adore it. Mind you, I haven't abandonned my books, I still got some for Christmas, and the e-reader will never ever replace them, but god it's so much more easier to switch from one book to the other, it's so small and light, it fits in my coat's pocket, and it just looks… Sexy. I downloaded classics for free, other books not for free, I put my textbooks on it and when I had to leave for Russia, my suitcase was A LOT happier. All in all, it's great if you want as many books as possible without them taking so much space. The eInk technology is amazing, and being able to zoom in or out on the text is pretty useful. It doesn't replace the feel and smell of real books, but it's a good alternative when you need the quantity. Just be aware that the Kindle isn't the only e-reader out there, and that there are many, many excellent alternatives to it.

Donna Tartt- her two books are really good (The Secret History and The Little Friend).

Alexander McCall Smith

Roald Dahl- children's/adult fiction

Jenny Diski

Nick Hornby (About a Boy and High Fidelity- his newer stuff's not so good)

Fay Weldon

Sophie Kinsella

Perfume by Patrick Suskind
        Agree with the Sophie Kinsella - got one for xmas, and although I am chomping my way through several other books, the one I have ''mini shoppoholic'' looks good.

I also recommend Lindsey Kelk. I read ''I Heart New York'', and it's a v good read, leads nicely into the 2nd book . . .

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by DancinBallerina)
        Agree with the Sophie Kinsella - got one for xmas, and although I am chomping my way through several other books, the one I have ''mini shoppoholic'' looks good.

I also recommend Lindsey Kelk. I read ''I Heart New York'', and it's a v good read, leads nicely into the 2nd book . . .
        I think she's really funny...I mean, it gets predictable, but it's still good! I will say unashamedly that I've read all her books and they're all v. different to normal crappy books.

ReputationRep:
        The leiberman papers series
        The thrusday next series
        The NCD series
        Murder at the vicarage

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by jwza)
        The hungry caterpillar...

It will Blow. Your. Mind!
        I was thinking the same thing ^_^

I think she's really funny...I mean, it gets predictable, but it's still good! I will say unashamedly that I've read all her books and they're all v. different to normal crappy books.
          Oooo, I definitely look forward to reading it now .

ReputationRep:
          I've been looking into getting a Kindle as I won't have any room for all my books in halls of residence but I'm not sure if its worth getting one. I wanted to get some advice from people that already had one.
          Is there a good selection of books available to download and is it easy to do so?
          Do you find it works out cheaper to download books?
          How accurate is the information given on Amazon? Does the battery really last as long as it says? Is the screen good and easy to read?

Ahh lots of questions! Would really like to get some answers as I'm still quite unsure about whether or not to invest in one!

ReputationRep:
          I like mine The books are considerably cheaper and it's lovely to have them all together. I'm not really a fan of reading novels on it though (even though the screen is far better than you imagine) but I find it is amazing for poetry :love:
          I got it as a present - not sure if I'd have bought it with my own money tbh

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by BlueTypeOfLou)
          I've been looking into getting a Kindle as I won't have any room for all my books in halls of residence but I'm not sure if its worth getting one. I wanted to get some advice from people that already had one.
          Is there a good selection of books available to download and is it easy to do so?
          Do you find it works out cheaper to download books?
          How accurate is the information given on Amazon? Does the battery really last as long as it says? Is the screen good and easy to read?

Ahh lots of questions! Would really like to get some answers as I'm still quite unsure about whether or not to invest in one!
          • In terms of spaciousness, it's a lot better for space, as you can store thousands of books on a Kindle.
          • The selection is quite large, and a lot of books are free.
          • It is cheaper to purchase books, as they're only e-books.
          • The battery does last quite long, but you don't have the flexibility of an actual book; so if you're someone who favors the good old book-in-hand experience, then the Kindle isn't the best choice.

ReputationRep:
          it's a book where you have to buy more books off of

But on the bright side you get something compact!

Balance out the positives and negatives, personally I wouldn't

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.