Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well I can't give blood unless I break up with my boyfriend and then I have to wait 12 months before I can donate, so no I can't donate.

I think I would. I have wanted to but I'm terrified of needles (even though I have tattoos). However the whole blood thing is seriously appealing so I might be able to use that to cancel out the needle phobia. (It's not that I'm scared of the pain or anything, I actually love the pain, I just can't stand needles. I don't get it :confused: )

As for receiving it, yeah I would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khyuma)
    There was an appeal for asians to donate because of the higher chance of possessing rare blood types so I was going to until I saw the huge needle connected to that pumping action thing, i thought it was a standard syringe they use to take blood not some vacuum.

I urge others to think things through before agreeing to this.
    In all of the times that I've given blood, I've never even seen the needle they use. Just look the other way!

ReputationRep:
    If you can, you should.

/thread

Give blood as you as your eligible and the funny thing is you do need "pure" blood

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheSownRose)
      Every single person?

Well, forgive me, it's actually the medical people that say I can't donate, not me.
      Apologies darlin, I did say after that I understand not everyone can donate due to medical reasons or flaws in the system, I just mean anyone who can, should. It makes me angry that people make excuses, obviously not the case for you x

ReputationRep:
      I'd give blood if I could but I'm anaemic and I also have a stupid tendancy to black out whenever I have blood samples taken so can't imagine getting through it :o:

If you can give blood you should, a bit like donating organs..

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hooovan*)
      I would absolutely love to be able to give blood but I'm anaemic. If I ever need a blood transfusion, I will gratefully accept it.
      Same!!
      Became an organ donor the other day though

Really good to see people like us are saving peoples lives

ReputationRep:
        One day I'd like to donate blood but I'm 16 right now.

ReputationRep:
        I've donated once, but not a complete one (stopped coming out :P

Tried again, they couldn't find a vein for love nor money.

I've got another appointment booked on New Years Eve so maybe third time lucky?

Whats the minimum age to donate blood?

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by blueray)
          18 I think.

ReputationRep:
          17 I believe

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Ari Ben Canaan)
          18 I think.

(Original post by Annie72)
          17 I believe
          It's 17: http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-bl...an-give-blood/

ReputationRep:
          I'd love to do it, but I medically can't.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by khyuma)
          There was an appeal for asians to donate because of the higher chance of possessing rare blood types so I was going to until I saw the huge needle connected to that pumping action thing, i thought it was a standard syringe they use to take blood not some vacuum.

I urge others to think things through before agreeing to this.
          Urm.....its not sucked out at all Your blood pressure does it all for you. The big machines you saw might have been the machines for people donating platelets.

ReputationRep:
          I've donated once, have tried to do it three more times, but two of those my iron was too low and the other time the nurse didnt even bother testing my iron because she said I hadnt given it enough time to go up, and my iron is too low a third time, i'll be taken off the register and wont be able to donate again. I hope next time it's high enough, but if it's not then I know i'll have at least tried to do my bit. I'd accept blood if I needed it.

ReputationRep:
          I would be happy to give blood to anybody who needs it (Suffering from a blood related disease). I would obviously feel some concern about whether or not the person has an infection in their blood but the likely hood of that sort of blood going into mine or anybody else's veins are very low.

ReputationRep:
          I give blood as often as I can and why not! I can replenish it fairly quickly and it can save a life. I would want blood to be available should I or any member of my family need it so I'm happy to help make sure that other people can have that priviledge.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by The Devil)
          I would be happy to give blood to anybody who needs it (Suffering from a blood related disease). I would obviously feel some concern about whether or not the person has an infection in their blood but the likely hood of that sort of blood going into mine or anybody else's veins are very low.

In actual fact the likelyhood of getting a blood borne infection from a donation is zero!. Blood is tested before it is given to someone else, if it has infection or anything else then it is not given to anyone and discarded.....and the donor is informed of this too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.