Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

my gf said I should take her name if we get married Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninsy)
    just a thought on the idea of the highest earning surname winning. I think that can seriously backfire and wouldn't opt for that. what if one year you're making the most so the first kid gets named after you, but in the following few years your potential wife beats you so those kids are named after her? might be confusing once they start asking how come some have yours and some their mom's name. "well son, you were born in the year of dad and your little brother in the year of mom". just seems like too much of a competition. :/
    It would be at the point of getting married and all kids would have that name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    You know you could just both keep your own names. Marriage doesn't force anybody to change their name, or at least you don't have to if you don't want to.
    Its more any kids and we hate double names

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    This is what happens when women are let loose out of bounds of the kitchen and rest of household.

They get these silly ideas in their heads.

what the **** is the world coming to
    THIS

(Original post by CalculusMan)
    Don't marry her.
    AND THIS

I think the real question here is, what will you call the kids?

ReputationRep:
    Grab her by the balls and tell her it's tradition to take the mans name! Oh wait....

ReputationRep:
    OP do a poll and lets vote. Personally i think the women should take the mans name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    I was speaking about my double surname thread with her and she said she wanted her name to carry on. She said her surname in her branch of the family was going to die out because she only has sisters so she suggested maybe I should take her name. I dont want to take her name because im the only male in my family so my family name would be in as much trouble as hers is now if I dont pass it on. Im thinking of suggesting that the reason the mans name was passed on was because men were the head of the house in those days so im suggesting that who ever earns the least money at that point should take the others last name. I would also say that if we both agree to the least money system then the person on the bad end of that cant argue with it at the time.

I am right not to agree to do this because my name would be as bad as hers if I did it?
    What do you think of the person who earns the least changes idea?
    WTF! tell her to get on her knees and suck you off... then force her into intercourse while you disrespect her surname. WHY DO YOU WANT TO GET MARRIED ANYWAY? ARE YOU A FAGG0T?

ReputationRep:
    Hypernate your names?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    We hte doubles, the kids need to have one name so one of us needs to change our name to fit in
    so combine your names to make a new name

ReputationRep:
    Take up the more prestigious surname. It's not too hard.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it, next thing you know you'll be the one spending all day in the kitchen and giving her blowjobs

ReputationRep:
    You struck her right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    I was speaking about my double surname thread with her and she said she wanted her name to carry on. She said her surname in her branch of the family was going to die out because she only has sisters so she suggested maybe I should take her name. I dont want to take her name because im the only male in my family so my family name would be in as much trouble as hers is now if I dont pass it on. Im thinking of suggesting that the reason the mans name was passed on was because men were the head of the house in those days so im suggesting that who ever earns the least money at that point should take the others last name. I would also say that if we both agree to the least money system then the person on the bad end of that cant argue with it at the time.

I am right not to agree to do this because my name would be as bad as hers if I did it?
    What do you think of the person who earns the least changes idea?
    What's your last name? What's hers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    This is why it's severely outdated, and it really doesn't matter.
    how will we ever have cultural traditions if we brandish them all outdated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    how will we ever have cultural traditions if we brandish them all outdated?
    That is not what I mean, or my point.

ReputationRep:
    Take her name and the terms of your entire marriage are set there and then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    Its more any kids and we hate double names
    So basically you want to keep your name, she wants to keep her name and you both want the kids to have your respective names ...?

This clearly isn't going to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    So basically you want to keep your name, she wants to keep her name and you both want the kids to have your respective names ...?

This clearly isn't going to work.
    Now you understand the problem

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.