Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph90)
    Wow, that sounds quick.

I might read about this tomorrow. So you are saying the actual program takes 10mins to figure out the passwords from the hashs in the .SAM file?
    Yep. A pretty impressive and useful liveCD to have around if you fix computers a lot, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Yep. A pretty impressive and useful liveCD to have around if you fix computers a lot, eh?
    Definately.

I don't find myself fixing many these days. But I used to a fair bit before. I'm definately bookmarking the site.

ReputationRep:
    Ubuntu is a great operating system.
    I love Linux, I've used Suse, Red hat, mandriva and others but Ubuntu is excellent.

Lol you have to compile gentu from source its takes days literally !

Turns out that none of these were able to find my password. I ended up remembering it :curious:

Still, thanks for all the help. A little warning about ubuntu (and likely linux in general): Vaio Z is just about the worst hardware, that I know of anyway, for using it. The entire series requires complicated steps to make stuff like NVIDIA work, and it turns out my model is extra-special, as I haven't even managed to get it working after all this time

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Saichu)
      Turns out that none of these were able to find my password. I ended up remembering it :curious:

Still, thanks for all the help. A little warning about ubuntu (and likely linux in general): Vaio Z is just about the worst hardware, that I know of anyway, for using it. The entire series requires complicated steps to make stuff like NVIDIA work, and it turns out my model is extra-special, as I haven't even managed to get it working after all this time
      Do you know why any of the bootable/live-cds did not work? (Just curious)

Also, what specific hardware are you having problems with.

I'm using a Sony Vaio, everything seems to work fine with most *nix distros that I have tried with it. I remember tried Ubuntu a while back and everything seemed to work fine, even the audio if I remember correctly. I think there was a problem with the Wi-fi card, but I just had to download the latest drivers from Intel and it was all kushty.

Using gaming linux for a nvidea one

ReputationRep:

If you're looking to crack windows logon passwords in the future, ophcrack will do it well if you use rainbow tables. These are rather large to download but worth it if you need to.

Also, there are two types of Windows password, LM hash and NTLM hash. An LM hash version of the password is stored in all versions up till Vista by default (IIRC) for backwards compatibility. The LM hash version is much weaker cryptographically and hence easy to crack.

(Original post by Steph90)
        Also, what specific hardware are you having problems with.
        I have to use a script to get the Stamina/Speed slide working (this isn't the major problem, though I feel it's buggy).

The biggest problem is by far the NVIDIA drivers. I cannot, despite having tried everything on the internets (including the stuff that worked for other Vaio Z users) get the proprietary drivers working. It's an utter mystery to me. I'm told that other Vaio series are more compatible with nix.

(Original post by blueray)
          Using gaming linux for a nvidea one
          Sorry, is that a distri?

Sorry, is that a distri?
          http://live.linux-gamers.net/

lol yeah I found it now its a distro based on nvedia and for gaming and also ure other daily tasks
          although I would recommend kubuntu as it looks wow

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2011
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.