Protests in Libya Watch

Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Gadafi claims he has not even started to use force against protesters. Apparently to him missiles snipers and mortar strikes are riot control
ijaz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mevidek)
qadaffi wasn't a tool... he isn't exactly pro-west...

But yeah, I admire him, however he was a cruel and corrupt leader, and is possibly going insane. Stating that he will die a 'martyr' just makes him look pathetic, and yes, the UK government probably would use arms to quash a rebellion, however we do not know that.
not really an idiot because he is fighting for his country, without him hey would have another tyrant backed by the west like mubarak, and the uk and america will be making billions from there oil.
so in that sense he is a martyr.

He's not pro-west because the west have done nothing but made him look bad, come on if someone made you look a **** you wouldnt like them.

and the west have always conspired against him just becausehe doesnt listen to them like a puppet, same with saddam who to be fair i don like ,but his execution wasnt justified.

Next theyrer going to try ahmedinajad
ijaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Gadafi claims he has not even started to use force against protesters. Apparently to him missiles snipers and mortar strikes are riot control
show me evidence he has used mkissiles in these protests.
mevidek
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ijaz)
not really an idiot because he is fighting for his country, without him hey would have another tyrant backed by the west like mubarak, and the uk and america will be making billions from there oil.
so in that sense he is a martyr.

He's not pro-west because the west have done nothing but made him look bad, come on if someone made you look a **** you wouldnt like them.

and the west have always conspired against him just becausehe doesnt listen to them like a puppet, same with saddam who to be fair i don like ,but his execution wasnt justified.

Next theyrer going to try ahmedinajad
yeah but Ahmedinejad supports terror.... Hopefully the protests there work and he is overthrown.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ijaz)
These are reports from various protesters so more of a rumour. However anti aircraft gun shells have been fround by a gurdian journalist throughout one of the cities as well as civlians in hospital with arms and legs blown off something only mortars or heavy machine guns can do
mevidek
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ijaz)
I think he means missiles as in thrown arms, rather than missiles that you fire :/
spazman21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
*Warning* Distressing scenes.

ijaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by spazman21)
My dad is Libyan. He was a political activist against the Gaddafi regime...

Gaddafi locked him up for 5 years; tortured him; destroyed his oil business; sent assasins to kill him, meaning that he had to spend 15 years in hiding, under protection from Scotland yard, and many of his friends were killed.

You have no idea...
I'M Sorry to hear that but my point is that there is no such thing as democracy, every day even in the uk we are being violated, cctv, body scanners, police allowing to stop and search.

Exactly what american, russian, chinese, pakistani, indian, israeli government and british government would do.

litvenyenko is an example, went against the russians poisoned him radioactiviely.

Saddam was against america and they hung him.

racheal corrie was an anti israeli government activist from america and they ran over whilst she was protesting against the building of settlements with a bulldozer, and the american president didnt even mention her.
same thing happened in china.

As a pakistani in karachi if your against the MQM party, a gang will come to your house and shoot you down.

there is no such thing as democracy just we get basic rights we think it's ok, and were in democracy but they are things we should have.
ijaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
These are reports from various protesters so more of a rumour. However anti aircraft gun shells have been fround by a gurdian journalist throughout one of the cities as well as civlians in hospital with arms and legs blown off something only mortars or heavy machine guns can do
A journalist found this, these are people who lie and exploit just to fill some papers.
ijaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mevidek)
yeah but Ahmedinejad supports terror.... Hopefully the protests there work and he is overthrown.
WHO SAYS HE SUPPORTS TERROR, bbc, sky news, daily mail, guardian.

al qaeda was started by the u.s government against the russians in the 80's, does that mean they support terror?

bin laden family had strong trading links with president bush, does that mean bush supports terrorism.

america and uk backed mubarak for thirty years in 1.8 bilion pounds in foreign aids to him, does that mean they were supporting a dictator and violence againsty people.

so should the british/us government be overthrown
ijaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ma3eeni)
People are being shot at random! They're being targeted. Reports are coming in about protestors shot straight in the heads! 84 already killed in less than 3 days! Where is the international condemnation and the community?
a bit like american soldiers did in iraq
neillya1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ijaz)
a bit like american soldiers did in iraq
Your rants are getting more bizzare than those made by Gaddafi himself now...

Also, no need to use 6 posts to tell us something that could be told in one.

Back on topic:

Does anyone know any more about possible UN sanctions/resolutions? I heard something about creating a no-fly zone.....
ijaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by neillya1)
Your rants are getting more bizzare than those made by Gaddafi himself now...

Also, no need to use 6 posts to tell us something that could be told in one.

Back on topic:

Does anyone know any more about possible UN sanctions/resolutions? I heard something about creating a no-fly zone.....
my rants are getting bizzare.

the u.n are a joke and powerless
LStudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Stalin)
He's been the President of Libya for the last 40 years, where there is no opposition, no freedom of speech and certainly no civilian input on any law. Only a fool, such as yourself, would take him seriously.

His regime have killed 80 people, yet you seem to believe that he's not breaking the law? In that case, please enlighten me by finding me a law which allows one to kill another human being, nevermind 80.
You're AGGRESSIVEEEEEEEEE. I picked up he was against against the whole thing but because laws are made by the government, and the President of Libya is the one making the laws then he made them to suit his damn self. That's what dictators tend to do. What's happening in Libya is very very very wrong and are humanitarian crimes but Gaddafi didn't remain in power by being a stupid man. A cruel one yes, but not a stupid one. The smart ones are always the most dangerous.
Svalir
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LStudent)
You're AGGRESSIVEEEEEEEEE. I picked up he was against against the whole thing but because laws are made by the government, and the President of Libya is the one making the laws then he made them to suit his damn self. That's what dictators tend to do. What's happening in Libya is very very very wrong and are humanitarian crimes but Gaddafi didn't remain in power by being a stupid man. A cruel one yes, but not a stupid one. The smart ones are always the most dangerous.
Well he seems to be pretty delusional right now.

And for the record, presidents can't make laws to suit themselves, we have the Geneva conventions and, most importantly, the United Nations which stop just this from happening and which regulate international law to prevent war-crimes and crimes against humanity occurring.
ijaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Svalir)

And for the record, presidents can't make laws to suit themselves, we have the Geneva conventions and, most importantly, the United Nations which stop just this from happening and which regulate international law to prevent war-crimes and crimes against humanity occurring.
you actually think the un have any power.
damn your naive.

everyone is jumping on the get gaddafi out bandwagon, why dont you do anything about china who killed 1000 people last time there was a mass protest
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by In2deep)
What about the dead in Bahrain? Or in Yemen? What about the thugs that have beaten the protesters of the streets in Amman? What about the Algerian situation that has been going on for longer than (or at least as long as) the Egyptian crisis?

- Tunisia was historic
- Egypt directly affected "us".

The rest are just Arabs apparently
Libya directly affects "us" as well, due to selling oil and gas to Europe. It's not an ally as someone said, but it can affect prices and create uncertainty.
LStudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Svalir)

yes I saw the news (not BBC they're just not giving this proper coverage) he's really coming across as off his rocker. And I wouldn't say that laws could not be created by dictators. Right now it doesn't seem that the Libyan President (however long that's gonna last) gives a hoot about the UN or the Geneva conventions. If he did he wouldn't have had protesters shot.
ijaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LStudent)
yes I saw the news (not BBC they're just not giving this proper coverage) he's really coming across as off his rocker. And I wouldn't say that laws could not be created by dictators. Right now it doesn't seem that the Libyan President (however long that's gonna last) gives a hoot about the UN or the Geneva conventions. If he did he wouldn't have had protesters shot.
like israel and hamas and china.

the un are powerless
In2deep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by de_monies)
Libya directly affects "us" as well, due to selling oil and gas to Europe. It's not an ally as someone said, but it can affect prices and create uncertainty.
It is getting a lot of news in Italy, Malta, Spain and to a certain extent, France. A lot more than over here I should add. "News" is tailored to the desires of the public, there's nothing we can do about that :dontknow:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (329)
37.34%
No - but I will (71)
8.06%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (418)
47.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise