This discussion is closed.
Molly_16
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dmz)
:yep:

Oh right, which accommodations are you interested in? I'll take (unphotoshopped) pictures for you, Assuming it doesn't make me look like a weirdo too badly . Oh. You have a bachelor already then?
Taking pics for me ???Wowww, that would be great thank you so much =)

Im interested in Leodis , en suite room .

Ohh, i already had a BA here from Thailand , Major in English Literature =)
dmz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Molly_16)
Taking pics for me ???Wowww, that would be great thank you so much =)

Im interested in Leodis , en suite room .

Ohh, i already had a BA here from Thailand , Major in English Literature =)
Assuming i manage to get out of work and I'm not being glared at, lol.

Same here. It's first for me then concept then James bailie. So I'm going to all 3 or more

Oh right, nice
Mother2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dmz)
is it on Wednesday or saturday? It's the 23rd right? I decided to do a masters for medical engineering at Leeds then try for post grad med I'd hang out with you but i don't want to embarrass your daughter even more need to get someone to swap shifts with first. I'm happy I'm ending up in Leeds

It's definitely the 26th - I'm driving as my daughter has to get back for her supermarket shift. Medical engineering sounds good - my eldest daughter was thinking about that for post-grad (she's just finishing a maths degree). Good luck with it all - sounds a sensible plan and I'm sure you'll enjoy the course. Have you got the place yet?

I'm v happy going round on my own - you're right about not embarrassing my daughter even more!
Hazzaman
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by duckjustice)
If anyone wants any info on Lupton, I live there at the moment.
hey man, im looking at lupton at the moment and have a couple of questions. how long does it take you to walk to the campus? also do you ever take the bus? how long does that take/how much does it cost?

also, whats headingly like as an area? are there places to go out there? or is it more like you head to the city centre?

finally, how easy is it to take the bus to the city centre? is it a mission to get back after a night out? or do they continue to run fairly regular?

thanks mate, any help you could give would be awesome
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mother2)
It's definitely the 26th - I'm driving as my daughter has to get back for her supermarket shift. Medical engineering sounds good - my eldest daughter was thinking about that for post-grad (she's just finishing a maths degree). Good luck with it all - sounds a sensible plan and I'm sure you'll enjoy the course. Have you got the place yet?

I'm v happy going round on my own - you're right about not embarrassing my daughter even more!
Oh right, dad's at work and mum tends to drag me down a bit with these things (bless her), I'm gonna meet with some friends i have there, could possibly go alone so if you see anyone 5'9, black and bald (extremely short hair) that'd be me . Hopefully it'll be okay. 2yrs of ucas for medicine drains you a bit so I'm just gonna have fun for a while really looking forward to uni! She wants to do medical engineering? Potential course mate. Not yet but the guy said I'd be okay when i called so :crossedf:
emily1911
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Anyone have any info/thoughts about Opal 3? I'll be a postgrad when I move there in September.

Thanks
Molly_16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by emily1911)
Anyone have any info/thoughts about Opal 3? I'll be a postgrad when I move there in September.

Thanks

You will be a postgrad right?? so do I =)
may i ask ?what will you study anyway??
emily1911
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm doing a MA in Global Development & Gender
How about you?
Mother2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dmz)
Oh right, dad's at work and mum tends to drag me down a bit with these things (bless her), I'm gonna meet with some friends i have there, could possibly go alone so if you see anyone 5'9, black and bald (extremely short hair) that'd be me . Hopefully it'll be okay. 2yrs of ucas for medicine drains you a bit so I'm just gonna have fun for a while really looking forward to uni! She wants to do medical engineering? Potential course mate. Not yet but the guy said I'd be okay when i called so :crossedf:

She isn't planning on that now - I think she's still looking at engineering but hoping for a graduate job - if they still exist.
I look like a mother with short brown hair! Good luck with your application but it sounds easier than a med application.
USG
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by accomoffice)
Hi!
Yes, there are a number of international students at Charles Morris. Assuming you're an undergraduate paying fees at the international rate, you're guaranteed accommodation for the length of your course, but you will have to fill in an application form each year (normally in February/March)
And no, your room and bathroom don't get cleaned, I'm afraid you have to do it yourself (or employ a cleaner)
I would like to know when I shall be allowed to move in the hall. I guess there may be orientation before the term starts so I may need to move in earlier.

When is the rental period for Charles Morris? Does it include term breaks? Any catering duing term breaks?

I know that Lyddon and Ellerslie Halls are also on campus. Are they also popular among international students? How are they compared to charles morris?

Thanks again.
accomoffice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by USG)
I would like to know when I shall be allowed to move in the hall. I guess there may be orientation before the term starts so I may need to move in earlier.
Normally, if you're an international student who's there for the orientation, you can move in from the Wednesday (that'll be something like the 15th?). If you need to arrive earlier than that, there is temporary accommodation available at Devonshire Hall for all the international students here for the orientation

(Original post by USG)
When is the rental period for Charles Morris? Does it include term breaks? Any catering duing term breaks?
The normal rental period is 39 weeks from Saturday 18(?) September to about June 14, including Xmas and Easter vacations. Catering only during undergraduate terms but there's fully equipped kitchens so if you're here over the vacations, you can self-cater very well.

(Original post by USG)
I know that Lyddon and Ellerslie Halls are also on campus. Are they also popular among international students? How are they compared to charles morris?
There's a reasonable number of international students at Lyddon and Ellerslie as well. They are much smaller halls than Charles Morris so some people think that makes them much easier to settle in. Most of the rooms have shared bathrooms so they're cheaper than Charles Morris but there are about 30 en suite rooms at each which obviously cost a lot more.
duckjustice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hazzaman)
hey man, im looking at lupton at the moment and have a couple of questions. how long does it take you to walk to the campus? also do you ever take the bus? how long does that take/how much does it cost?

also, whats headingly like as an area? are there places to go out there? or is it more like you head to the city centre?

finally, how easy is it to take the bus to the city centre? is it a mission to get back after a night out? or do they continue to run fairly regular?

thanks mate, any help you could give would be awesome
It takes about 25-30 minutes to walk in, I try and leave half an hour before my lecture starts but inevitably fail and leave about 25 minutes before and get there just about on time. I've only got the bus if I had something massive to carry or was really late the times I've took it it take I don't know about 15 minutes maybe. It's £1.90 to uni (and town).

Being in Headingley is pretty good, only having a couple of minutes to walk to get to Sainsbury's is great, I'm going to miss it next year when I have to lug shopping miles There's a load of pubs around to go to for a quick drink but for proper nights out you pretty much have to go into the city centre.

Annd getting into town is always pretty easy because you can get (I think) any bus going that way. Getting back on the bus is ok they run up to about 2 or 3 I think and they're about once every half hour. I only get the bus back at night if I've gone out with friends from Bodington though, if you're all going back to Lupton it doesn't cost that much in a taxi, less than 2 quid each if there's 4 of you I reckon (I once managed to get back on my own in a black cab for less than a fiver because the driver felt sorry for me ).

Hope I helped some!
shokwaav
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Normally, if you're an international student who's there for the orientation, you can move in from the Wednesday (that'll be something like the 15th?). If you need to arrive earlier than that, there is temporary accommodation available at Devonshire Hall for all the international students here for the orientation

The normal rental period is 39 weeks from Saturday 18(?) September to about June 14, including Xmas and Easter vacations. Catering only during undergraduate terms but there's fully equipped kitchens so if you're here over the vacations, you can self-cater very well.

There's a reasonable number of international students at Lyddon and Ellerslie as well. They are much smaller halls than Charles Morris so some people think that makes them much easier to settle in. Most of the rooms have shared bathrooms so they're cheaper than Charles Morris but there are about 30 en suite rooms at each which obviously cost a lot more.

Thanks for your reply.

Are Lyddon and Ellerslie much older and the rooms smaller than charles morris? I guess it may be quieter as it's smaller.

My parents will probably come with me. Is there any temporary accommodation in the university they can book? If not, is it easy to find B&B near the university?
BrainPleasure
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had previously looked at the Opal 3 building which seems to be in a perfect location with great facilties. However, it has now disappeared from the prospective students self-catered accommodation list on the Leeds Uni website and is only listed on the current students list.

What does that mean?

.. It is now only for post-grads? The uni has stopped its affiliation with the building and so it would be risky to go with if still possible?

Helppppoooo please.
emily1911
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by BrainPleasure)
I had previously looked at the Opal 3 building which seems to be in a perfect location with great facilties. However, it has now disappeared from the prospective students self-catered accommodation list on the Leeds Uni website and is only listed on the current students list.

What does that mean?

.. It is now only for post-grads? The uni has stopped its affiliation with the building and so it would be risky to go with if still possible?

Helppppoooo please.

Hi,

I booked my place there a few weeks ago. I will be a PG but it's definitely for both UGs and PGs and as far as I'm aware, they still have spaces.

Hope that helps
accomoffice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by BrainPleasure)

What does that mean?

Helppppoooo please.
It's still both undergrad and postgrad and will be a mix of people from the different institutions. We only had a 2 year deal with them and that's now ended - nothing dodgy about it.
You can book with them direct - the only thing I would say is that, particularly if you only have a conditional offer, make sure you check the cancellation conditions. The new Leeds arena is being built next door but Opal assured us that the noise wouldn't be a problem.
accomoffice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by shokwaav)
Thanks for your reply.

Are Lyddon and Ellerslie much older and the rooms smaller than charles morris? I guess it may be quieter as it's smaller.

My parents will probably come with me. Is there any temporary accommodation in the university they can book? If not, is it easy to find B&B near the university?
Because they are old buildings, some of the rooms are smaller but some are absolutely massive!
I'm afraid we can't offer temporary accommodation to parents - there are lots of B&Bs and chain hotels (Ibis, Express by Holiday Inn etc) close by but I'd advise booking well in advance.
(:Becca(:
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Are there any halls where the basic maintenance loan actually covers rent?
accomoffice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by (:Becca(:)
Are there any halls where the basic maintenance loan actually covers rent?
Yes. Here are the rents for 2011/12. http://www.leeds.ac.uk/accommodation/costs.html
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes. Here are the rents for 2011/12. http://www.leeds.ac.uk/accommodation/costs.html
apparently there's a hill to get to leodis? What's the social life like there?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.83%
No - but I will (115)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (699)
47.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise