why don't you republicans go and move to america? Watch

Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by otester)
Doesn't mean we shouldn't try and improve our form of government.
Urgh, people like you are annoying.

Keep putting your same point across over and over and over and present no facts with basis of evidence or atleast educational reasoning as to why your points would be better than what is in place.
ilickbatteries
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Doesn't mean we shouldn't try and improve our form of government.
I totally agree.

AV is the way forward.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ilickbatteries)
You realise that the head of state role the reigning monarch fulfills is so vastly ceremonial it's not even worth mentioning?

Cameron is effectively the head of state. He's the accountable head of the government, the prime minister, the first lord of the treasury, whatever you want to call him.

He may not have the title 'head of state', but he is the closest thing we have to an active head of state.

Even the Guardian, noted for their anti-royal stance, recognise that the monarchy is "mostly symbolic".
Of course. But the fact that its symbolic doesn't mean its important, and doesn't make it right to put people on a pedestal because of who their parents are. Of course we will never agree on this, but my point was that it is not true that people who oppose the royal family are unpatriotic. I love Britain but would much rather follow our tradition of meritocracy than our tradition of a society where who your parents are is the most important thing.

:rolleyes:

Britain will never be a republic in our lifetime. End of.
I wouldn't be so sure. A lot depends on the monarch, and that can change. The Queen is popular because she is always stately, always respectable and works hard. Charles would be much less popular because hes a bit of a tosser, and if William dies Harry would be likely to offend people (Nazi costume anyone?). We shall see.
Libtardian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I totally agree.

AV is the way forward.
A drop in the ocean compared to the other problems...
Libtardian
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jacketpotato)
I wouldn't be so sure. A lot depends on the monarch, and that can change. The Queen is popular because she is always stately, always respectable and works hard. Charles would be much less popular because hes a bit of a tosser, and if William dies Harry would be likely to offend people (Nazi costume anyone?). We shall see.
I think it depends on the level of ignorance, if more people were educated in politics, they would want to remove unelected positions.
ilickbatteries
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jacketpotato)
Of course. But the fact that its symbolic doesn't mean its important, and doesn't make it right to put people on a pedestal because of who their parents are. Of course we will never agree on this, but my point was that it is not true that people who oppose the royal family are unpatriotic. I love Britain but would much rather follow our tradition of meritocracy than our tradition of a society where who your parents are is the most important thing.

If it was such a bad thing, they'd be deeply, deeply unpopular. Instead, people like the royal family. They're big news, they're interesting. People want to like them. It really only seems to be the Scots and the Welsh who dislike the monarch (for obvious, understandable reasons).

As for Harry, I think he's a popular chap to be honest. He's cleaned himself up of late, he's a soldier, does a sh*t load for charity and the like. He's significantly improved his public image.

A drop in the ocean compared to the other problems...
I'd like to drop you in the ocean.
ilickbatteries
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it depends on the level of ignorance, if more people were educated in politics, they would want to remove unelected positions.
It doesn't take a genius to work out that the royal family are unelected. Despite this, most people appear to be interested in them, and to like them.

You only need to look at the MASSIVE outpouring of grief when Princess Diana died to see that the royal family means a hell of a lot to people.
gozatron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It doesn't take a genius to work out that the royal family are unelected. Despite this, most people appear to be interested in them, and to like them.

You only need to look at the MASSIVE outpouring of grief when Princess Diana died to see that the royal family means a hell of a lot to people.
I think thats pretty unfair comment, Diana was married to a royal but it wasn't her being royal that there was such sadness for her death.
ilickbatteries
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gozatron)
I think thats pretty unfair comment, Diana was married to a royal but it wasn't her being royal that there was such sadness for her death.
Yes, but she represented the royal family by being married to Prince Charles.

If she wasn't a royal, she wouldn't have become such a huge public figure. Obviously the woman did tremendous work for charity home and abroad, but she was truly loved.

If the royals were so bad, this wouldn't be the case. People genuinely love and like the royal family. A republic just wouldn't happen unless they did something seriously seriously wrong
SpicyStrawberry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Made me laugh when a republican said the royal family would have trouble getting a job in John Lewis. I don't get the hate for royals, is it jealousy or something?
Cyanohydrin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ergh, a republic would be awful and drab.
lawology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Theconomist)
Trump is a real character mate.

It would actually be fun to see him on the world stage.

I think it'd be interesting.He would probably cause world war 3(not even exaggerating here) but it'd still be fun from an observer's point of view.
Heh heh reminds me of this:

Theconomist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lawology)
Heh heh reminds me of this:

Onion are just epic.
LawBore
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maybe because, weighing up the pros and cons, they prefer it here? Because they're not slavish adherents to the nirvana fallacy?
gozatron
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, but she represented the royal family by being married to Prince Charles.

If she wasn't a royal, she wouldn't have become such a huge public figure. Obviously the woman did tremendous work for charity home and abroad, but she was truly loved.

If the royals were so bad, this wouldn't be the case. People genuinely love and like the royal family. A republic just wouldn't happen unless they did something seriously seriously wrong
True, if she wasn't a royal she wouldn't be noticed but i'm not talking about becoming a public figure, i'm saying the grief as a result of her death wasn't because she was married to a royal. I mean was she even truly a royal after the divorce? I would have said she gained the majority of her supporters because of the charity work she did, the circumstances surrounding her death and her manner as a person. There have been other royal deaths that haven't come anywhere causing the amount of public sadness as Dianas. It appears to me that the royals are only as loved as any other common celebrity figure rather than have any truly loving followers.

And to your last point, i agree a Republic will never happen in the country for the foreseeable future. Charles certainly won't be a popular King but i see the current monarchy being saved by the wedding that occured yesterday. No republican would deny there a great couple and will wish them the very best but i think most are just perplexed by the madness surrounding them.
a_t
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by humanrights)
please, stop moaning about the monarchy. if you hate it move.

for the sane people, lets all be proud of the wonderful british monarchy and the wonderful british christian heritage that was on full display today.
do you like my sig OP?
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a_t)
do you like my sig OP?
The guy's a horny one i tell ya.

ChrisBan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a_t)
do you like my sig OP?
Haha these flukey photos are always amazing haha
Jono404
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
Made me laugh when a republican said the royal family would have trouble getting a job in John Lewis. I don't get the hate for royals, is it jealousy or something?
That's probably true, they have pretty poor A-level grades which considering the schools they attended isn't great. I question whether William could have got into St Andrews on ABC without his status.
ilickbatteries
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a_t)
do you like my sig OP?
I missed that part, what was she even doing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.62%
No - but I will (19)
5.69%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (161)
48.2%

Watched Threads