Saif al-Arab, son of Col Gaddafi KILLED by NATO Air strike Watch

mmmmmpie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The UN has now decided to remove all workers from Tripoli, after UN and UK buildings came under attack early this morning. We have also expelled the Libyan ambassador,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13253896
Tenbinza
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jakemittle)
Its not a genocide..
And youre an idiot. NATO are only permitted to impose a No-Fly Zone and protect civilians, this was, apparently, a house! What prove do they have that any decision making or anything was coming from there?
Also they have killed 4 civilians! His son did not hold any position within the military.
They do not have a justifiable argument whatsoever...
they are obviously about regime change which is NOT permitted by the UN.

According to you its okay to kill people that are part of the regime?..Does this include civilians who want to protect Gaddafi?
Don't pick words with me - if it makes you feel better inside replace the word genocide with massacre.

The UN Security Council Resolution 1973 specifically states that it "authorizes the international community to establish a no-fly zone over Libya and to use all means necessary short of foreign occupation to protect civilians".

In recent weeks the participating NATO forces have began to target:

"command, control, communications and intelligence networks (known, in military parlance, as C3I). The Bab al-Aziziya compound includes all three such networks, and it was presumed that their disruption would disorient regime soldiers on the front line, cut off field commanders from Tripoli, and sow confusion in the ranks." -BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13252192)

So you're telling me that this guy was hiding out in an intelligence bunker - but NATO are war criminals for killing him?

Also you say that 'civilians that protect Gaddafi' are part of the regime - what civilians? There are civilians that are on the streets in favour of him, but they are not physically protecting him. Of course they are not part of the regime, and NATO are not targeting them. The 'regime' includes anyone who holds a position of power under Gadaffi or are a part of Libya's armed forces which are attacking the rebels.

I am not the idiot.
medic_armadillo7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't help but think NATO have gotten themselves into a bit of trouble and it will be frowned upon by the international community. I will explain.

Before invoking any intervention or war, you must a) define your objective with respect to the geneva convention and additional protocols and b) they must be reasonable.

What was agreed was an intervention to stop the humanitarian crisis occuring in Libya due to Gaddafi's forces trying to quell the revolt against, what is a tyrannical regime. However, NATO and all allied forces were under strict orders not to harm or attempt to take out Gaddafi, but push back and diminish his advantage and tirade against those opposed to his rule.

What makes this latest development all the more embarrassing for NATO, as well as making them all the more accountable and liable for a mandatory explanation into their actions is the fact that yesterday (however real or false that is speculated to be) Gaddafi asked for negotiations of a ceasefire, which were immediately rejected and withheld by NATO, and a matter of hours later his compound with him and his family in it, was bombed and his son Saif (the cocky one who studied in Germany and at LSE and occasionally did political interviews) was killed. Whether it was accidental or deliberate is debatable, but with the level of communication and intel they have and the little room for mistakes that is tolerated, I would imagine it is the latter.

I'm not saying that NATO aren't doing a good job for an unjust cause, but it will make the international community including some EU members, China, Russia and other countries very uneasy, if it is perceived that they are taking matters into their own hands and ditching the initial agenda that was set.
Sharri5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Gaddafi is responsible for his death
ch0llima
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
I personally reckon this is a pathetic and blindingly obvious nugget of propaganda in an attempt to try and discredit NATO. Libyan State TV showed the body bags in the morgue and basically said "Here's the bodies killed by the evil colonialist dogs herp derp", but not the actual bodies themselves like Uday and Qusay Hussein in Iraq. All this despite them being surrounded on camera by a large number of on-lookers (some were obviously Christian religious figures as they were wearing cassocks and dog collars) and nobody thought to question it or ask for confirmation? Smells like a farm, if you know what I mean.

I also doubt Khamis Gaddafi was killed a while ago in another raid as was claimed. He was shown alive and well on later State TV footage after his supposed death, but it seems the footage was quite old and had been manipulated so who knows? :dontknow:

Tell me, why is the state broadcaster still on the air and being allowed to spread this propaganda with impunity? IMO it should be bombed to the ground or, if you're worried about civilian casualties, be safely jammed somehow.
Llamageddon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ussumane)
So why would they attack the house? Nato wouldn't simply waste their time air striking every vila they can see on sight.
I don't know why they attacked the villa, but I very much doubt it was a standard family home, and given the scale of damage to the villa mixed with Gaddafi being alive and unscathed it's pretty bloody obvious that he wasn't anywhere near it at the time.
Squidgyness
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I love all these people saying "Its just an ordinary house"

So, you have reinforced concrete with rebars in your front room do you?

Libya feeds you crap and you eat it up just so you can criticise your own government. Sometimes the people in this country can be so gullible and paranoid...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (24)
48%
No - but I will (1)
2%
No - I don't want to (1)
2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (24)
48%

Watched Threads