On spurious grounds?
Is there any evidence to back this?
beepbeeprichie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lord_denning)
try learning that piece of **** statute for a law exam. It's hell.
You learn statute? I just copy it out in the exam!
lord_denning
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by beepbeeprichie)
You learn statute? I just copy it out in the exam!
We weren't allowed statutes or a statute book for the public law exam today Had to learn it by heart, so unreasonable!
beepbeeprichie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lord_denning)
We weren't allowed statutes or a statute book for the public law exam today Had to learn it by heart, so unreasonable!
That is absolutely insane. Legal exams seem to be memory tests.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
His girlfriend does seem to have a high internet profile and she reminds everybody that she is AT CAMBRIDGE. She was on Shipwrecked a couple of years ago and there is something on there about her going to Cambridge as well...
garethDT
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Shocking to see so many people actually supporting political arrests in the UK. Thank God for the internet and people like Charlie Veitch who have the balls to stand up for our rights.
freddy2222
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by texico11)
There's nothing "sick" about this. If they'd beaten him bloody with a crow bar and dragged him through the street to the police car, then maybe I might of felt a little sick.

The women really bugged me with her stupid questions and sweeping statements that she couldn't really have been sure bout ("he's not on the wanted list", when, in fact... he was).
apparently so, but still apparently veitch asked the police just before the video if he was on a black list and they confirmed he was not.

arresting someone for a thought crime is bad enough but it being for the thought crime of planned protesting is worse. if i called the police to arrest anyone when they planned something that i knew would annoy me (building works) that would be ridiculous and yet that is exactly what happened. people were arrested for things like having a pen and dressing like zombies, it just shows that opposition views will be stamped out, as was seen in the toronto g20 debacle.
Fat-Love
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good lord. The pomposity of the way she said "I know because I'm studiying politics at cambridge" just made me barf. It's impractical for a police officer to know all the details relevant to an arrest he's being made to do all the time. There is certain level of faith in the actions your superiors are asking to you to do and the girl is a major idiot for not understanding that.
Ite?
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Veitch really is annoying.

Why not go and protest in a country where there are real problems?

Also, he apparently sold a video to the Daily Mail (owned by Murdoch) :banghead:
garethDT
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fat-Love)
Good lord. The pomposity of the way she said "I know because I'm studiying politics at cambridge" just made me barf. It's impractical for a police officer to know all the details relevant to an arrest he's being made to do all the time. There is certain level of faith in the actions your superiors are asking to you to do and the girl is a major idiot for not understanding that.
It's not a question of them not understanding the compartmentalisation of the police, they are just trying to challenge that blind faith that the police have.

They were not asking the policeman to do anything more than to just be aware of the fact that he was making a political arrest.
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Has this Vietch guy got a job? Has his girlfriend got a job?
If not where do they get their money from?

I do wonder why they couldn't go about their little thing in a less pompous and twattastic way.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Darkphilosopher)
Is there any evidence to back this?
The onus is on the person doing the arresting to provide evidence
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by David Markham)
You are correct, but swearing at them and encouraging his fellow protesters to break the law is.
I didn't see any clips of him swearing at police.

What laws is he encouraging people to break?
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Great_One)
I think most poeple disagree with veitch...so if most people disagree with him then its in the will of the people that he should be shut up. So the police were acting on the will of the people.
I disagree with him too, but regardless of whether or not the majority disagree with him, surely he has a right to free speech?
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by garethDT)
Shocking to see so many people actually supporting political arrests in the UK. Thank God for the internet and people like Charlie Veitch who have the balls to stand up for our rights.
It's kinda weird that the same people harp on about other countries where people have restricted freedom of speech and yet for some reason it's ok for it to happen in the UK if you don't like what the person is saying/it's an unpopular view.

I don't agree with everything Veitch says and he is a bit pretentious, but he has a right to free speech and he makes some very good points.
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by beepbeeprichie)
That is absolutely insane. Legal exams seem to be memory tests.
like med school
Planar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wish David Davis were PM...
David Markham
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by No Future)
I didn't see any clips of him swearing at police.

What laws is he encouraging people to break?
You must have heard him to tell that policeman to f*** off when they grabbed one of his mates? And he has committed a Section 5 Public order offence

"Whether behaviour can be properly categorised as disorderly is a question of fact. Disorderly behaviour does not require any element of violence, actual or threatened; and it includes conduct that is not necessarily threatening, abusive or insulting. It is not necessary to prove any feeling of insecurity, in an apprehensive sense, on the part of a member of the public (Chambers and Edwards v DPP [1995] Crim LR 896). The following types of conduct are examples, which may at least be capable of amounting to disorderly behaviour persistently shouting abuse or obscenities at passers-by, causing a disturbance..."
Darkphilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by No Future)
The onus is on the person doing the arresting to provide evidence
I was asking for evidence that the arrest was done "On spurious grounds".

You imply that you know that there was no evidence to warrant an arrest however you provided no evidence to prove this claim.
garethDT
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Darkphilosopher)
I was asking for evidence that the arrest was done "On spurious grounds".

You imply that you know that there was no evidence to warrant an arrest however you provided no evidence to prove this claim.
I think a lot have people have seen the video that he was arrested for. He didn't do or say anything wrong, in fact he was careful not do so but they arrested him anyway. They wanted him out of the way on the day of the wedding, they knew damn well they had no hope of securing a conviction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise