How the British Royal Family earns YOU £2.60 every year Watch

shereez234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by f00ddude)
no, the crown is the king or queen
the sovereign is the figure head of a state (country if you don't study politics), this could be passed on to the prime minister or other role in the case of dissolution of the monarchy, the title of "the crown" can not
love your sig :rolleyes:
thisismycatch22
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by f00ddude)
i think its you who is confused, that article is designed as a very VERY brief overview of the crown estate, designed for people who are not studying the subject but are instead looking for a bit of infomation

the only reason it does not belong to the crown privately (as in they don't have the right to deny public access) is due to the way in which our countrys parliament and monarchy is stuctured
its quite complicated and in all honesty i don't think you would understand if you have never studied UK politics or the history of the monarchy (at a greater than high school or 6th form level obvs)
or if you're the sort of person who would say something like this "im pretty sure its actually in the royal families ownership rather than the sovereign, but im too tired to look it up but the end result is the same" implying that private ownership is exactly the same thing as owning it in a constitutional role

the thing is, at this time the connection between the monach and politics is still very much there, the monarch has a lot more power than people think, but will never use a vast majority of it due to various "deals" with parliament and fear of overstating themselves and causing a negative image which would allow the government to get rid of them with popular support.
I agree and that's all an excellent reason to get rid of them.

however IF the monarchy was ever to be disbanded and de-throwned everything would change including the land rights
yup

the land that is under the management of the crown estate would be split up, the monarchy has a right to a huge amount of this and upon a loss of their political statement would also gain the right to privately own the land (while they are in power they must give access to almost every non residential peice of land they own) this would enable them to sell it
in your opinion. what happens to crown estate after the crown is abolished would seem to me largely up to government in practice.
laura94
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I liked the royal family before I found this out.
Now I like them more They can't be that bad if they're still agreeing to give us profits from their land in return from their living costs when their living costs are much less. Plus the fact that England wouldn't be England without the Royal Family.
Darkphilosopher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zinfandel)
The Queen's property? How is it her property?

It's the people's property. **** the monarchy.
How is it "the people's property" ?
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by joe3469)
If the lands were owned by the state we could keep the £200 million instead of paying the royals...
They are not owned by the state though. And the British government does not steal land from people
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The OP has cashed-in his principles for anything. Why on earth put a mere £2.60 before freedom?
Darkphilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Martyn*)
The OP has cashed-in his principles for anything. Why on earth put a mere £2.60 before freedom?
Please enlighten us as to what freedom's we are loosing?
Cochrane
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Darkphilosopher)
The right to aspire to the highest possible station in the Land, where greatness is determined by ability and talent and not by one's own birth.
maturestudy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not the Queen's property it belongs to the Crown, which is currently devolved to the monarch. If we instead devolved the Crown to the State we would get to keep the whole £200M (that's the cost of 10 London Olympic Games).

However, we would presumably have an elected head of state. We would have to pay for elections, salaries, staffing, catering, entertaining foreign dignatories, flights to other countries and of course the £42M security costs.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I love the democracy argument for getting rid of the Royals. Even though the majority of this country want to keep them....
TPS.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by maturestudy)
It's not the Queen's property it belongs to the Crown, which is currently devolved to the monarch. If we instead devolved the Crown to the State we would get to keep the whole £200M (that's the cost of 10 London Olympic Games).

However, we would presumably have an elected head of state. We would have to pay for elections, salaries, staffing, catering, entertaining foreign dignatories, flights to other countries and of course the £42M security costs.
The London Olympics will cost a lot more than £20 million..?
duke5
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by manchild007)
There is no evidence for that frankly, OR MORE IMPORTANTLY, any evidence to say tourism would necessarily fall if we got rid of an active monarchy. Of the Top 20 tourist sites in the UK, only ONE is a royal residence, that of Windsor Castle at lowly number 17 (not even in the Top 10).

Heck, The Louvre and Château de Versailles in France gets more visitors than Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle (the equivalents here in the UK, both in role and location from London/Paris), yet they abandoned the monarchy years and years ago.

Stop with the myths :rolleyes:
THEY'RE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!

You cannot compare you muppet. 1 million tourists visited Buckingham Palace in one day last week, you could argue, but that doesn't count.

The number of people touching the gates of Buckingham Palace versus Versailles would be stupendous. No body cares about former French palaces except French and German visitors.
duke5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by U.S Lecce)
I resent this stupid argument that britain has nothing left but the monarch. Bull****! we still have plenty to be proud of. Stop belittling our country! The monarch is just one of many cultural aspects of this nation.
No.

Stripping out parliamentary democracy, our armed forces, the monarchy and the last vestiges of English behaviour in certain old people - this country is a dump.

Obese, crime-ridden, violent, louting, drunk, lurid, over-sexed, undignified, arrogant, small-minded little country full of a new generation of Labour spongers with their 'rights' and a new wave of immigrants from Africa and the Middle East (not Asia) with NO connection to Britishness or desire for it.

The Royal Family is the only show in town that keeps the mystique of Britannia alive to a world that still has a lot of respect for a country that, sadly, no longer exists.
Reformed2010
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So having a political institution that is sexiest, anti catholic and undemocratic because it generates profit for a nation is a reason to keep the status quo? and we wonder why people support backward regimes so easily. ''They bring us food, water and shelter!'' You can't put a price on democracy, fairness and justice.

What. A. Joke.

(Original post by Darkphilosopher)
The right to have the highest office of the land selected by the citizens it is suppose to represent. You know maybe it's about trying to apply the same principle you and I must face when competing for a job? perhaps it comes down to the easier to grasp principle of the best man for the job? are we not all equal? do we not want to fully embrace equality of opportunity?
JGR
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Where I live now is thronged with tourists.
There are no royals here and nothing in any way linked to the monarchy.

You make it sound like tourists just sit round the perimeter of Buckingham palace for a bit then go home again :rolleyes:.
The history of Britain is not confined to one rich family. Get some perspective.

As for Paris, having lived there I can tell you that it is also full of tourists.
blue_shift86
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by duke5)
year for the upkeep of the institution.

JUST WATCH IT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYg...feature=relmfu
That was an awesome video! Thanks for sharing! . I'm a left libertarian according to my political compass which apparently means i should hate the monarchy, but i love them! You are so right the money we give them in taxes is nothing in comparison to what we get from them in return, so to all you republicans out then **** off to France you secret Frenchies without a monarch! :P
Vav123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They can keep the queen its the other members of the royal family who get the money and nobody even knows that should be kicked out.
lilzoldier
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I believe that its actually better for Britain to have a royal family since its part of our heritage and our constitution and it makes us the envy of less historically/constituionally rich countries such as US since we actually have a Royal Family, We can clearly see this from the mass worldwide media that was generated from the Royal Wedding last friday.

This clearly should have generated billions in income to the worldwide media since it was estimated that 2billion audiences worldwide watched it, this is clearly a lot of money considering that it only costs us about £40million each year to upkeep for the royal family.

So Overall, I consider it to be a good investment
Jake22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SchadenfreudeDude)
I hate the royal family because I can only afford to buy eight Ferraris, whereas the Queen can afford a whole fleet.

LIFE IS UNFAIR.
Great point. If one wants to complain about the ownership of royal estates then one should surrender all assistance from mum and dad and gift their three bed semi in Tumbridge Wells to the state when they pop their clogs. Same Rules Apply.
Shuvel
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by katyness)
But I pay almost £200 of taxes a month.
You'd be paying ~£202.50 without the Royals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed