Higher English Exam 2011 Coming Up!! Watch

stephenmca
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No it's not, theres no point in trying to make any question fit, especially for one poem, you should at least have 2 poems so you can compare them. Taking those 2 texts alone into the exam is suicide, sorry.
Akmeeda
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What about 2 poems and 1 drama?
Martyna156
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
this is very risky, indeed. I have 4 poems and the questions rarely fit them, or like every second year has a question that suits any of them.
If you had a novel and a play, that wouldn't be too bad, but still risky.
catmandoo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
not gonna lie its risky bt nothin is impossible so keep r fingers crossed gooood luck
angelbaby91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've got a novel and a play. Fingers xd I guess.
LouisVuitton43
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
VERY risky....

i would try and take in a novel and a drama...

but keep your poem a maybe. because the poem questions are all LUCK. and if youre unlucky... youre screwed.
beth..
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ahhh i am so nervous. I know my play really well and am confident on it, im doing A Doll's House. I know Gatsby but there are just so many themes and i end up getting confused and the structure of the essay goes to pot. I hope the pass mark is low this year and hopefully my folio will pull my grade up.
Aengus28
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I took Int 2 English in S4 and used Visiting Hour by Norman McCaig in one of my critical essays. Am I allowed to use the same text for Higher in S5. My teacher said I am but I'm just checking.

Also is After You My Dear Alphonse by Shirley Jackson suitable for Higher English?

Urgent reply needed please
Quintro
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Albertine)
Oops... not my finest moment.
Don't worry, I never noticed it for a while either.
INeedToLoseWeight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did that in the prelim. It was risky, but it was worth it because I manage to answer a question on both. But just to be safe I'm learning a drama too for the exam.
TheUnbeliever
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Of course, the thing about the prelim is that your department, who know which texts you've been taught, choose the questions...
Dado Prso
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
depends if you live life on the edge or not.
lewisrae95
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi everyone
I was wondering if I'm not the only one that finds the final questions way to difficult? I do alright at most of the questions in the paper but by the time I get to the final question I can't be arsed/don't know how to answer... Sometimes I leave it out but then sometimes I write about a page long answer and only get 1 or 2 marks... What am I doing wrong??
Adala
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Martyna156)
this is very risky, indeed. I have 4 poems and the questions rarely fit them, or like every second year has a question that suits any of them.
If you had a novel and a play, that wouldn't be too bad, but still risky.
Chill your beans Martyna! Don't exaggerate so much
Darrenh800
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm learning Valentine (poem),Cal (prose) and Macbeth (Play) as I think it's my best bet. I've learn 16 quotes for both Macbeth and Cal on actual topics - character, love, ambition and love while I've got four back ups for general information. I'm not very confident on the poem question coming up but just in case I've learnt it off by heart.
INeedToLoseWeight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
Of course, the thing about the prelim is that your department, who know which texts you've been taught, choose the questions...
Our school bought in the P&N papers.
failingexams
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hiya, I'm naturally good at english and got an A in prelim without studying, now for final i have started studying this morning and have got myself into a wee panic. I was only planning on learning two texts - The Almond Tree & The Great Gatsby but after reading this page idk if it's enough? There has been at least one question ever year that comes up so i think it should be ok?
ALSO i need an A , if i average aroud 40 in close reading and about 33 in essays and my folio was a B what grade am i predicted? x
laridum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by failingexams)
hiya, I'm naturally good at english and got an A in prelim without studying, now for final i have started studying this morning and have got myself into a wee panic. I was only planning on learning two texts - The Almond Tree & The Great Gatsby but after reading this page idk if it's enough? There has been at least one question ever year that comes up so i think it should be ok?
ALSO i need an A , if i average aroud 40 in close reading and about 33 in essays and my folio was a B what grade am i predicted? x
Is The Almond Tree a play or a poem? Gatsby is a fairly safe text and that CR mark will help you. The problem with having just a novel and one poem is that the poem questions can be quite precise. I have five poems and I'm still very worried! But I don't know much about The Almond Tree.
laridum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by INeedToLoseWeight)
Our school bought in the P&N papers.
I think they still get to pick from a selection of papers.
failingexams
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it's a poem , themes of literal/metaphorical journey , loss & growing up. also a questionon setting and mood/atmosphere would fit nicely. there's been a question each year for it and my class have only studied that and The Horses :/ and i really hate that poem , i'm just crossin my fingers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.05%
No - but I will (46)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.6%

Watched Threads