The Student Room Group

Most intelligent, creative and well written TV shows

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lukejoshjedi
In your opinion - what show do you have in mind for having outstanding dialogue either in a comedic/comic sense, it's generally really funny, creative, referential and intelligent in its' writing and jokes (for Sitcoms for example) or in just the way that it's written in a dramatic sense

As a drama you think it's got realistic dialogue, making believable and real characters with great rapport / banter, as well as making for great dramatic scenes / drama in general

For me

Lost (Totally had the believable characters, high tension, super dramatic moments, as well as humour and references to pop culture, generally a well written show with realistic dialogue to boot and helps to suspend disbelief seeing the genre the show is in)

Life Unexpected

Arrested Development (I'd say it's one of if not the best written sitcom ever)

True Blood

How I met your Mother (same as arrested Development imo, the continual creativity in the show stands out)

Community

Also want to add 30 Rock to the list ofc! really well written and creative

I'm curious to as to how you can put HIMYM in the same league as Arrested Development. HIMYM has no longetivity. I enjoyed it first time around, and then i started watching good stuff like AD. I started watching it again and barely got any laughs from it. Barney is the only vaguely interesting character. Arrested Development is genius writing. Nothing is better than it in terms of genius writing and quality. And it's one of those shows you can watch time and time again and it gets better each time you watch it.

Breaking Bad is up there too, fantastic writing.

Prison Break season 1 was the pinnacle of quality. Shame it went crap.

Original post by mevidek
None of the ones you've added, they're **** (well at least in my view).

Some of the best are Monty Python, Goodies, Dad's Army, Angry Boys, The Inbetweeners, Outnumbered, Mock the Week, Summer Heights High, Ripping Yarns, Allo! Allo!, South Park and many, many others.

If you don't like Arrested Development you don't have a sense of humour, or a sense of quality. I've not met one person i've introduced to the show who have not completely loved it. About 10-15 people i have told about it. Also those i have met randomly who like it, love it. There is no show out there where you can put stuff into action out there like chanting speech at a party, and shouting Steve Holt randomly :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 141
Original post by Gob Bluth
I'm curious to as to how you can put HIMYM in the same league as Arrested Development. HIMYM has no longetivity. I enjoyed it first time around, and then i started watching good stuff like AD. I started watching it again and barely got any laughs from it. Barney is the only vaguely interesting character. Arrested Development is genius writing. Nothing is better than it in terms of genius writing and quality. And it's one of those shows you can watch time and time again and it gets better each time you watch it.

Breaking Bad is up there too, fantastic writing.

Prison Break season 1 was the pinnacle of quality. Shame it went crap.

If you don't like Arrested Development you don't have a sense of humour, or a sense of quality. I've not met one person i've introduced to the show who have not completely loved it. About 10-15 people i have told about it. Also those i have met randomly who like it, love it. There is no show out there where you can put stuff into action out there like chanting speech at a party, and shouting Steve Holt randomly :biggrin:

I haven't seen it... Sorry I meant generally the ones that guy named - my bad!
Original post by mevidek
I haven't seen it... Sorry I meant generally the ones that guy named - my bad!

Ha well watch it. You won't regret it as it is imo the best tv show of all time. Even if you don't think it is it is one of the best things you will watch :smile:
Original post by morematterlessartx
Misfits.

'Misfits' is incredible.
Reply 144
Ha well watch it. You won't regret it as it is imo the best tv show of all time. Even if you don't think it is it is one of the best things you will watch :smile:

I'm watching it now. It's quite funny, but not as good as Dad's Army for example.
Reply 145
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
'Misfits' is incredible.

That too, is a good TV series.
Original post by mevidek
I'm watching it now. It's quite funny, but not as good as Dad's Army for example.

I didn't really appreciate the show completely until i retwatched it. I stand by that i think its the best tv show of all time. Hits the spot with me bang on.
Reply 147
I didn't really appreciate the show completely until i retwatched it. I stand by that i think its the best tv show of all time. Hits the spot with me bang on.

So you're claiming that if I don't like it, it's because I have no sense of humour, despite the fact that I love the TV shows I've already named?
Reply 148
I really don't get the south park hype. It's hardly developed humour when it's hilarity revolves around every other word being an expletive. I feel like telling its fans to grow up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 149
House and criminal minds
Reply 150
Original post by Lestrange

And, erm, Horrible Histories on CBBC ^^ . Definitely creative and it teaches children (and adults pretending to be children, such as myself) all sorts of fun facts =D .

Got to love Horrible Histories. The songs are so catchy as well. I managed to put some of the Boudica song lyrics in my history coursework :smile:
Reply 151

I've just watched it. It's good, but not on the same level as any of the other things I've mentioned. Still very good for an american show XD
Houseeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

(Oh and Damages :smile:)
24 by a million miles

However the Danish killing, Wallander, south park all make fine arguments
Original post by Comeheretellme

Original post by Comeheretellme
Being Human; starts off slowly and gets really gripping around the 3rd episode.

I agree. Absolutely love Being Human. Despite the characters not being human, it's amazing how much you can really relate to them and care about them. The mix of comedy and drama is spot on. Can't wait for series four! :smile:
Original post by mevidek
So you're claiming that if I don't like it, it's because I have no sense of humour, despite the fact that I love the TV shows I've already named?

I'm that confident that anyone with at least a bit of sense appreciates it.

Original post by mevidek
I've just watched it. It's good, but not on the same level as any of the other things I've mentioned. Still very good for an american show XD

It's because you haven't watched enough of it. It took me a while to say it was my favourite show :wink: I didn't start watching and half way through season 1 say this is my favourite show. You don't really appreciate the true quality without rewatching as there is a lot you miss first time around watching it!
Reply 156
Original post by r.fanatic
im sorry but your sig just made my day :grin:

Ricky Ross THE BIG BOSS!! :awesome:
Reply 157
Original post by J_90
Ricky Ross THE BIG BOSS!! :awesome:

Thats what makes it so much better!! Its no fat guy, is Ricky ROZAY!!
In terms of a comedy, Only Fools was a an absolute classic - every episode was hilarious!

Also the only modern comedy I like - Not going out is brilliant - Lee Mack and Tim Vine are fantastic in that.
Reply 159
I'm that confident that anyone with at least a bit of sense appreciates it.

It's because you haven't watched enough of it. It took me a while to say it was my favourite show :wink: I didn't start watching and half way through season 1 say this is my favourite show. You don't really appreciate the true quality without rewatching as there is a lot you miss first time around watching it!

I'll watch a few more episodes if time permits, and then I'll make a decision. However so far, it seems very overrated.

Quick Reply

Latest