Countries you were disappointed about Watch

Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
Have you had any negative experiences travelling abroad? If so, what happened?
Italy. Ok, I'm basing my experiences on one visit to Naples. But as soon as I got off the cruise ship, I wanted to get back on again immediately.
Mr Smurf
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by express_68)
Venice - Yes its pretty, but too much walking and too much history!
Venice is not a country :mmm:
Shroob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
British Virgin Islands (Road Town). Not much to do at all, the 'historic main street' was a let down, the museum little more than a house with the doors removed but roped off, so you could see into the rooms. Plus it was the only island where it rained when I was in the caribbean.
ily_em
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rob da Mop)
Spain didn't understand a) the concept of wanting things to entertain oneself with on a campsite (eg. swimming pool, table tennis, childrens playground) or b) the idea of service in a resteraunt. Quite nice food, but the staff were surly and seemed to regard problems within the kitchen as our fault.
Didn't you check the facilities the campsite had before you went?
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cicerao)
Hopefully it never turns up on the internet. :mmm:
What were you doing!? :lolwut:

(Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
Do they do that with literally every sort of white girl who walks past?
If its anything like Uganda or the less touristy parts of morocco, yes (and i suspect it is!)
umm123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say Turkey, the weather was nice..and so was the hotel we stayed at. But I was harassed by the men a lot there, which spoiled my holiday. I found it really rude, dunno cultural thing perhaps?!
ily_em
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by screenager2004)
What thread are you reading? The title of the thread was 'Countries you were disappointed about" - I was disappointed that when I went everything looked very similar. I did not get to spend very long in each city.

I haven't 'written off the country' - I had a negative experience because my holiday schedule didn't allow for full appreciation of the country, hence why I said it was a 'massive waste of money'.

I never said I was bored. I had a lot of fun.

I don't really know where the hell you are getting any of this from. Methinks you've taken this a bit badly.
Well you did kind of write it off, because you said you wouldn't go back there :P
muffingg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not really any but if I had to choose it would be France or Paris more specifically. The place is a lot more expensive than London, most people don't know any English at all (thank God I paid attention in my French lessons...), and the people are slightly unfriendlier than here in the UK. But the city on its own is great (the infrastructure, sights, transportation system,...).
beefmaster
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by muffingg)
Not really any but if I had to choose it would be France or Paris more specifically. The place is a lot more expensive than London, most people don't know any English at all (thank God I paid attention in my French lessons...), and the people are slightly unfriendlier than here in the UK. But the city on its own is great (the infrastructure, sights, transportation system,...).
Why is the fact that people in a non-English speaking country not speaking any English a factor for you to decide how much you like a place!?:rolleyes:
Cicerao
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
What were you doing!? :lolwut:
LOL! :rofl: I didn't realise it sounded like that. Oh hell, nothing like that! *gag* It's just embarassing to be next to a sweaty, creepy man who's grabbing your hand.
RamocitoMorales
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hravan)
Will also be taking my own teapot and my own tea with me so I can have a decent cuppa. Seriously, three weeks without a proper cup of tea. It was torture.
What a tosser. I feel sorry for your sort. I really do.
Cappuccinoes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hravan)
Will also be taking my own teapot and my own tea with me so I can have a decent cuppa. Seriously, three weeks without a proper cup of tea. It was torture.
This reminds me of when my Mum and I went to Paris a few years ago. Mum got so fed up of being made cups of tea without any milk in it she eventually started asking “Je voudrais thé AU LAIT? AU LAITTTTTT?!” It was so embarrassing :facepalm2:. The holiday as a whole was amazing though .
Smilingsam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Linweth)
Being British doesn't give you the right to a seat you know, lol.
No I didn't say it did what I was on about was the people on the coach that were acting dam rude, by taking up 2 seats for 1 person. They were sitting on the end ailse and not bothering to move over for anyone.
screenager2004
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ily_em)
Well you did kind of write it off, because you said you wouldn't go back there :P
You've stopped my sentence halfway through - I said I wouldn't go back there any time soon. I would love to return one day, but there's so much more of the world to see rather than visit the same places over and over again!
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Austria - Vienna was a pretty mediorce place, and Innsbruck was lame.
Rob da Mop
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ily_em)
Didn't you check the facilities the campsite had before you went?
We're used to going camping in France and there it's easy to expect that, at least in the touristy areas, there'd be a good 5 campsites in the area with those sorts of facilities so we never book. We assumed that a few miles over the border it would be similar
express_68
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mr Smurf)
Venice is not a country :mmm:
Well I didnt think it would be fair to judge Italy just on the floating city!
xmarilynx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by beefmaster)
Why is the fact that people in a non-English speaking country not speaking any English a factor for you to decide how much you like a place!?:rolleyes:
Agreed. Just :facepalm: at some of the responses on this thread. If you think one dodgy restaurant or hotel in one town makes the whole country a disappointment or your enjoyment of the holiday relies on being able to order British food and drink in English, then you would be better off staying at home.
EssexDan86
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sweden. Nice enough place, but pretty bland and expensive.
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xmarilynx)
Agreed. Just :facepalm: at some of the responses on this thread. If you think one dodgy restaurant or hotel in one town makes the whole country a disappointment or your enjoyment of the holiday relies on being able to order British food and drink in English, then you would be better off staying at home.
I totally agree. Do not think that Marmaris represents Turkey in an accurate light, for example, or that Benidorm represents Spain, or that Sunny Beach represents Bulgaria. Basing your opinion on an entire country on one or two chav resorts full of drunken British people is just incredibly silly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads