Africa will NEVER be wealthy. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Silver Arrow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Venom123)
Africa... Is Wealthy. Just poor distribution of wealth - For example, Nigeria have had a steel mill in development for over 10 years they've spent almost 154BN Naira on this (Translates into almost £100m if not more) yet has not been completed.

There are MANY projects like this which have not been completed, so it's just poor distribution and management and corruption.

If all was sorted out a VERY long time ago, Nigeria would be up there as one of the greatest economies in Africa. FACT.
Maybe but Nigeria is among THE most corrupt in Africa and the world. Why even bothe investing there when all the money will end up in Swiss bank accounts?
AYO
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Silver Arrow)
Haha I'm not European. Let's face facts, Africa (Sub-Saharan, BLACK Africa) is a ****ing failure. There are no two ways about it.
I bet you're the type of ignorant African that just likes to stick their head in the sand and pretend that everything's ok when people come by and **** you in the ass.
Africa is the only continent that's getting worse while the rest of the world moves on ahead.
firstly, i never said i was African idiot. secondly, by the rest of the world moving ahead surely you dont mean europe which is in massive debt? the rest of the world moves on ahead to where??? ughh your level of stupidity amazes me.
Pillow Cases
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Think of it this way. You are told by other countries that the conditions you live in is crap. Then there are advisors and all these helpers coming from welatheir countries coming to help you out. Then you are continuesly waiting for the money and food that they promise. You get these once in a while. You get dependent on this small ration and quickly you discover that finding work is hard you might as well sit home and wait for the next ration.

It's simple, we have made them lazy and dependent on our aid after we made them poor and worthless.

It's part of business, money and income. Making africa poor means you will have cheap labour and land all the time, not jut that you will have slaves
Swanbow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm pretty sure the Arabs said the same thing about Europe during the Dark Ages. Truth be told, we never know what will happen to the world.
KingMessi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Surely cancelling all the gargantuan debts of African nations would be a start to reversing the trend, though? I'm fairly sure that doesn't help, even accounting for corruption and other factors.
Venom123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Silver Arrow)
Maybe but Nigeria is among THE most corrupt in Africa and the world. Why even bothe investing there when all the money will end up in Swiss bank accounts?
Because there's money to be made from Nigeria 130m+ Population. You'd be mad not to invest, you just have to be intelligent whilst working here.

Even the Chinese are flocking to Nigeria, vast Europeans have taken their piece of Nigerian oil. Even with this they still f**k up areas of Nigeria with their oil spills.

You f**king guys cry when animals are suffering with oil spills yet when it happens to other human-beings f**k all is done about it, that what gets me

An international apology was made by Shell Corp for the oil spill yet the oil spill in Nigeria remains 2nd to last in the BBC news order rankings, actually I only ever see Channel 4 report about this problem and they bring in some graduate to discuss the problem.
FlamingIceCube
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Africa may become developed but it will never be wealthy compared to the rest of the world as the rest of the world will get richer faster. A few African countries may become an exception but they will be just that an exception, just like how most poor people stay poor but some (very few) become rich.
Understudy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Swanbow)
I'm pretty sure the Arabs said the same thing about Europe during the Dark Ages. Truth be told, we never know what will happen to the world.
Not really, Europe was very advanced in the dark ages.
pr0view
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bob dylan)
If the rest of the world didnt rip Africa off and actually paid them the correct price for their natural resources, then that money could be used to found businesses and develop Africa.
That attitude of blame everyone else is a key reason why Africa is such a mess. We just keep ripping them off by sending millions worth of aid.
sclez1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As long as businessmen are selfish, Africa will remain in poverty.
Understudy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sclez1)
Rubbish, as long as Africans keep breeding like vermin, Africa will always remain in poverty. Africans have no one to blame but themselves.
pr0view
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Swanbow)
They probably didn't though as the Arabs civilisation at time was built on Greek and Roman knowledge. They probably where thinking lets try and conquer as much land while the turmoil that was the fall of Rome unfolded. Thankfully the eastern empire survived another thousand years and acted as a buffer.
pr0view
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Replace businessmen with African dictators.
sclez1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Understudy)
Rubbish, as long as Africans keep breeding like vermin, Africa will always remain in poverty. Africans have no one to blame but themselves.
It is arguable that over-population contributes, but to deny any unjust exploitation whatsoever is just silly. As fellow humans, we have a responsibility to care for the vulnerable - it's not their fault/choice they were born in Africa into such a harsh climate. We have a responsiblity to give them sexual education if it's causing such a problem. Yes they have resources, but for development to occur money must first be made from primary exportation, an area in which we pay them very little for their goods.

Anyway, what about businesses going over there and creating unnecessary markets for their own profits? BAT using subliminal advertising to sell cigarettes to children, for example.
sclez1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pr0view)
Replace businessmen with African dictators.
Good point, I'd say both are responsible.
Understudy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It is arguable that over-population contributes, but to deny any unjust exploitation whatsoever is just silly. As fellow humans, we have a responsibility to care for the vulnerable - it's not their fault/choice they were born in Africa into such a harsh climate. We have a responsiblity to give them sexual education if it's causing such a problem. Yes they have resources, but for development to occur money must first be made from primary exportation, an area in which we pay them very little for their goods.

Anyway, what about businesses going over there and creating unnecessary markets for their own profits? BAT using subliminal advertising to sell cigarettes to children, for example.
We have absolutely no responsibility for these people, and third world aid is destroying these countries by sustaining a grossly inflated population. We should cut of aid and let Africa population reduce through natural wastage, that is the first step for Africa standing on its own feet
Aeolus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kaylafrances)
Its saddening to see a load of people who may have never and will never even see the state of these countries discussing how they run. This is pointless, stop wasting your time.

This is the DEBATE forum. I have never and will never see the 'state' of ancient Rome. Would you say a discussion of this society is pointless and a waste of time? :dunce:
sclez1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We have absolutely no responsibility for these people, and third world aid is destroying these countries by sustaining a grossly inflated population. We should cut of aid and let Africa population reduce through natural wastage, that is the first step for Africa standing on its own feet
And then what would happen? Africa still would have no way to develop as they'd be so far behind and, apparently, we're not willing to give them a helping hand. Of course, that would solve over population but without education the cycle would recommence.

Do you truly believe we have no responsibility to help anyone? The process of millions upon millions dying would be extremely painful, is it really justified? Finally, what would you say if you lived in Africa?
Understudy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
And then what would happen? Africa still would have no way to develop as they'd be so far behind and, apparently, we're not willing to give them a helping hand. Of course, that would solve over population but without education the cycle would recommence.

Do you truly believe we have no responsibility to help anyone? The process of millions upon millions dying would be extremely painful, is it really justified? Finally, what would you say if you lived in Africa?
I do not live in Africa, secondly it is aid that is causing misery and anguish as it supports an unsustainable population. The increasing population of Africa is accelerating it a truelly terrifying rate. Your statment is dictated by your emotions rather than logic.
sclez1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do not live in Africa, secondly it is aid that is causing misery and anguish as it supports an unsustainable population. The increasing population of Africa is accelerating it a truelly terrifying rate. Your statment is dictated by your emotions rather than logic.
That's a good thing, almost all human decisions are based on an emotion of one sort or the other, and it's not as if what I'm saying is highly illogical. Do you not care about anyone but yourself? If you claim you do because your method would stop suffering then you admit to basing decisions on emotion. If you don't then you're not worth talking to, obviously.

Besides, I'm not saying the way we give aid currently is perfect, I might even be swayed to say that it would be better to give no aid at all than what we give at the moment. I'm saying that the best and kindest solution would be to give far more aid, particularly long-term aid such as education, at the sacrifice of a few luxuries.

If the population of Africa is accelerating at a terrifying rate then something must be done, but how would letting them die off help anyone? It's not the first step to development because, by your rationale, we wouldn't help them and they'd never be able to catch up technologically. Thus we would lose a wonderful culture.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (193)
18.68%
No (626)
60.6%
Not really bothered about them (214)
20.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed