Turn on thread page Beta

Are people over-reacting to the tram lady? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    Society has failed if people hold those kinds of views and spout them publicly on a train
    It's economy and newspapers, not 'society'. Same thing happened in countries like Russia. Racism exploded when unemployment went up because it was all those immigrants fault. Immigrants have even been used as an excuse for the death rate being over the birth rate (rather than the real reason - alcohol). Worryingly, now racism in Russia is out of control. Could be Britain's future. Russia and Britain are very similar.

Even so, in every developed country there will be racists, drunks and show-offs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Most the people over-reacting are immigrants.

Who cares what they think. They have no place trying to influence debates on the English nation when they're not English themselves.

As for youtube comments, it's somewhere to go when you're feeling machosadistic.
    I'll keep that in mind next time I go voting, beeeh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    She's got a mixed race child as well from her encounter down a back alley with an ethnic man after drinking 2 bottles of buckfast and snorting half a gram of ajax. But she left that one at home, as it would have invalidated her argument.

What happened to the ethnic man you ask? Well following that encounter, his nob nearly fell off and he spent the next 6 months going to the Doctor for treatment of various types of VD.
    Oh I get it, she says something about the ethnic invasion and that makes her a druggie and STI infested ****.

Actually, your comments reveal a lot about your own insecurity and latent anger than anything about her.

(Original post by TheFoxBlip)
    It annoys me when people get offended on the behalf of others, how is she any worse than hard criminals? the effects of words wash off easily but somehow we've been indoctrinatated to think verbal racism is on a par with serious violent crime, which of course it isn't. if I was racially abused, I wouldn't care one bit.

This woman's tirade was very distasteful but I'm more annoyed about the complete over-reaction that only people in the UK can cultivate.

Oh and if she buys food, cigarettes clothing etc she will be a tax payer.
    I didn't say it is on par or worse than violent crime.
    Simply that crime is crime and needs punishing.

As fo he being a paxpayer. I use the term like msot to mean someone who earns money and pays income tax. Yes we all pay VAT but when you are paying VAT on good purchased with benefits money I think saying you are not a taxpayer is fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebellious-Steve)
    People have rather miserable lives. Their hate for themselves and everything around them builds up inside until they all find the need to project it on someone they seem worthy.
    Good one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Oh I get it, she says something about the ethnic invasion and that makes her a druggie and STI infested ****.

Actually, your comments reveal a lot about your own insecurity and latent anger than anything about her.
    "Freedom of speech" mate. Isn't that right? Isn't that what a lot of people are saying she's exercising, fully within her rights? Just demonstrating that it works both ways. Or demonstrating that it doesn't work either way. Depending on how you want to interpret it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paxdax)
    Neither are there any Indians then, I guess. Amirite?
    probs, not familiar with the origins of the indian peoples if i'm being honest

like i said though, i personally don't like the idea of basing my allegiance to any particular point of view on something as arbitrary as what "my country" is, other people might not feel the same
    my main point really was that i think some flexibility is allowed when defining your ethnic origin, i used an extreme example to illustrate this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missxrojas)
    Sure she was in the wrong, but is it right that people post death threats on YouTube?

Discuss.
    Who is the tram lady?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough death threats might be abit much...
    Scary thing is, i know people in my school that would agree with her.
    There's even been a comment on it that said "it's not even that bad".

I put these people in two lists:
    - either they've just been brought up like that and thats how they see the world.
    - Or they're doing it to be cool and jumping on the football racism band wagon (which is much more frequent)

You see this sort of racism in school, but its all ego boosting or insecurities.
    F*cking pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    She's probably a millionaire by now with the amount of media she has lol. :bong:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missxrojas)
    I'm a Belieber
    Did you start that thread, "Why I Belieb in God (awful music)"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFoxBlip)
    It annoys me when people get offended on the behalf of others, how is she any worse than hard criminals? the effects of words wash off easily but somehow we've been indoctrinatated to think verbal racism is on a par with serious violent crime, which of course it isn't. if I was racially abused, I wouldn't care one bit.

This woman's tirade was very distasteful but I'm more annoyed about the complete over-reaction that only people in the UK can cultivate.

Oh and if she buys food, cigarettes clothing etc she will be a tax payer.
    This exactly, why be offended, that's her view, the thing is, if you put people in a corner and force them to act a certain way, they'll bounce back and hit you hard. Give them the freedom to say these things and ask them why they believe in it, then maybe you might sort it out. It's not just black and white, it's the british sense of nationalism. If it turns physical, then that's a different story.

Although with immigration, that's a tough subject. There are too many immigrants coming in, but they should prevent mass immigration and be tougher on the laws I think, so at least the major cities aren't as congested and if an immigrant stays, they need to work for it.
    If they made the country they lived in better and more open minded like in britain, there wouldn't be as much immigration in the first place. Although britain are responsible for messing up half the countries in the first place so must bear the consequences of having them inhabit the better places in britain/usa plus I support the idea of integrating people of different colours. I really don't see the problem in it since we're all human *sighs*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleakside)
    Actually they were banned from entering the UK, but I guess not researching the event can lead you to believe that such a punishment equates a £30 fine

I know people are going to think I'm being a pedantic troll here but she wasn't being racist, she was being xenophobic.

Racism: the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
    Xenophobia: intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries.

This woman was complaining about people coming to "Her Britain" (except she's not the Queen) and that they should go home. She didn't say blacks and poles were inferior people and should be wiped off the face of the Earth, just that she wanted them to 'go back to their own country'. Don't get me wrong, I think her 'opinion' is based purely on her being absolutely off her tits on drink/drugs and a lack of education. But seriously, there's a big difference, and as soon as the fashionable Left grab hold of semantics with their tendrils of sensationalism the better.
    If I'm honest I just copied what someone else had said on youtube. My bad. Should have known better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    If I'm honest I just copied what someone else had said on youtube. My bad. Should have known better.
    Ouch. :P I would take Youtube as some sort of anti-gospel. Not that the opposite is true, but if it's said on Youtube, then you can almost certainly abandon the statements. There's way too much tripe to find any gems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    If they made the country they lived in better and more open minded like in britain, there wouldn't be as much immigration in the first place.
    I would agree with this, but the problem is that I'm unsure who you refer to as "they". If you're referring to the immigrants themselves, I'm sure they don't have much control over what is happening in their country. If you refer to the Governments of their countries, or the dictators, then yeah sure.

I'm sure if it was up to the immigrants themselves, they would jump at the chance to make their own country better, and hence return there and be in familiar surroundings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    I would agree with this, but the problem is that I'm unsure who you refer to as "they". If you're referring to the immigrants themselves, I'm sure they don't have much control over what is happening in their country. If you refer to the Governments of their countries, or the dictators, then yeah sure.

I'm sure if it was up to the immigrants themselves, they would jump at the chance to make their own country better, and hence return there and be in familiar surroundings.
    Yeah, I mean as in the government, although, I believe that you're british, if you work and contribute to british society in a good way. A mexican who works 50 hours a week cleaning toilets with a british passport is more british than a white british lady who has papers but sits on her ass living off of income support because she can't be arsed to do work.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.