Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    You'll find happiness again one day.
    I once worked with a Indo-Trinidadian chap who was called Happiness. People just didn't believe the fact that every day, the thing which most strive for came to me, if I tried or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    I once worked with a Indo-Trinidadian chap who was called Happiness. People just didn't believe the fact that every day, the thing which most strive for came to me, if I tried or not.
    I've taught a couple of kids called Joy. Didn't work for me in quite the same way, somehow.

ReputationRep:
    I've taught a couple of kids called Joy. Didn't work for me in quite the same way, somehow.
    Despite my earnest talk, people just didn't believe me when I said there was a man named Happiness.

Perhaps if it was in limerick format, people would be more inclined. Kids these days often are convinced there was indeed a man named Crocket (of which we can assume was of termed an equally humorous sobriquet) who lost his John-Thomas in an accident with a rocket...

There was a young man named Crocket,
    who built a 30 foot rocket,
    The rocket went bang,
    his ******* went twang,
    and his prick ended up in his pocket

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terpsikhore)
    I know you said anyone saying "as old as you feel" deserves to be negged but I'm 22 and I have been known to fall asleep watching the Jungle Book with a cup of tea in my hand, and I've stopped shopping in H&M because I find it too high-fashion for me. I know the path I want my career progression to follow, I'm looking for a flat I can settle down in for the next few decades, my friends are all in their 40's and married with kids and I've started paying into a funeral plan.

Honestly, I think I'm 'old'. And I don't mind it one bit.

that's insane! a funeral only costs a grand, tops. and you're bound to have more than that in your estate when you die. also i'd rather my descendents pay whatever it costs to do what needs to be done, not see how much is in my funeral plan and then think not enough so better bury him on the cheap. heck imagine if they decide to go for tesco's value and i'm interred in a blue and white stripey coffin.

ReputationRep:
    It could easily be said that Darrow was eponymous
    Yeah...no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Yeah...no.
    Health and Relationships forum ------------------>

ReputationRep:
    Health and Relationships forum ------------------>
    And you accused someone else of refusing to admit they were wrong (which they weren't) by sidestepping? Mind-boggling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redreynard)
    that's insane! a funeral only costs a grand, tops. and you're bound to have more than that in your estate when you die. also i'd rather my descendents pay whatever it costs to do what needs to be done, not see how much is in my funeral plan and then think not enough so better bury him on the cheap. heck imagine if they decide to go for tesco's value and i'm interred in a blue and white stripey coffin.
    My estate consists of my bank account. There's just under a grand in there at the moment

If I didn't set money aside for my funeral, I WOULD be buried on the cheap because my family don't have a lot going spare. This way I can guarantee I'll get the funeral I want because there won't be any "oh, actually we can't afford those flowers", and I know it won't put anyone else in any financial hardship. I don't expect anyone in my family to have deliberately set money aside in case they need to bury me.

ReputationRep:
    30 isn't old, I'd say 45-55 is when you're old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    And you accused someone else of refusing to admit they were wrong (which they weren't) by sidestepping? Mind-boggling.
    I responded to you in the same manner in which an educated person may respond to a person ailed with mental difficulties once having been insulted; not maddened, just slightly curious, with a dip of jocularity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Late 20s? Lol, I'm 27, have never had a job and live at home. Couldn't care less about "careers" or the like. Certainly don't consider myself old... I do pretty much what I did as a teenager, with less drinking and casual sex.

What a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HiddenHybrid)
    30 isn't old, I'd say 45-55 is when you're old
    id say at least over 65 (retiring age)

ReputationRep:
    It's relative! My mum is 50 and she's the most youthful childish person I know Not old at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HowlingMadMurdz)
    What a joke.
    Got something to say to me?

ReputationRep:
    ?? Are you asking me to suggest a 'better' lawyer than Darrow? I agree with you that he is probably the most significant US attorney in history (apart from Abraham Lincoln, possibly, but for different reasons.) My query is nothing to do with his worth as a lawyer. I've read quite a lot of stuff about him over the years, and if there was an eponymous work about him, I was interested to know so I could read it. However, it's clear that eponymous wasn't what you really meant. Which is a shame, as I'd have liked to read it.
    I saw Leslie Nielsen on stage in Darrow, in which he played the eponymous trial lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    'Old' is far too broad to give one definition, so multi-faceted answers are welcome.

Old in the sense of being no longer a 'young man/woman', at least in my opinion, I'd say is late twenties, perhaps around thirty or so. A time when the career should be established, goals mapped out, and having ditched the contemptible proclivities to cliques and groups that some people still seem to have in their twenties.

However, in the sense that you're healthy, of able body and mind, and can enjoy the faculties of your body to some rigour and exercise; that's definitely got to be up until sixty. I've heard of men still going hard in the gym, rock-climbing, abseiling and other such things until around that age.

Eighty is most definitely old. According to my grandfather and his septuagenarian friends and contemporaries, the standard age for 'bodily decay', or (when things start to hit the fan) is around age sixty-nine, or seventy. I have no idea why this seems to be a generally held belief, though it is so. I think when you hit eighty, you begin to be seen as frail, fragile, perhaps even weak-willed and having the muscular integrity of a shorn cobweb.

Anyone who says 'you're as old as you feel' will be negged accordingly; not for their right to exercise that old chestnut, but for ****ting on the ingenuity that is normally held de facto amongst the threads of TSR.
    When you have had sex with more than 10 persons.

That is why nerds are immortal teenagers with eternal acne.

ReputationRep:
    Twenty-one. Legal age for everything everywhere. I'll feel old when I'll actually reach it ;p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Late 20s? Lol, I'm 27, have never had a job and live at home. Couldn't care less about "careers" or the like. Certainly don't consider myself old... I do pretty much what I did as a teenager, with less drinking and casual sex.
    gosh. what a loser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coben)
    gosh. what a loser.
    And you are?

ReputationRep:
    I was told that 30 is the new 20.

So I’m reevaluating my definition of old.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.