Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but no way are the french average. France ripped england to pieces at wembley and quite rightly too.

English players are seen as a premium. Andy Carroll £35million, Jordan henderson £20 million over inflated prices due to potential, which is in fact only potential a bad injury could ruin their careers and they will look like the worst buys in history. More to the point Spanish, french, German players in our league. Makes top english players even more expensive.

England perenially find ways to implode, not as spectacularly as france or italy in recent years though.

I think hopes should not be as high, euro's are so competitive this time around and any from 10 teams could win but obviously Spain, Germany and Holland will be favourites

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about England's group atm, even if England get through the group stages, we will be in a position to face either Italy or Spain.

Not looking good.

ReputationRep:
    England
    FrAnce
    Sweden
    Yukraine

ReputationRep:
    Also what is the deal with Capello not changing England's training base in Krakow. From what I am aware, our squad will be commuting a good 6/7 hours to certain games the day before to train.

'We have found a really good place. I am happy with the facilities and we will stay in the same place in Krakow.'- Capello

These 'facilities' better get us through the group stages otherwise I will be fuming.

ReputationRep:
    The travel time is ridiculous, its like wenger saying our training camp is glasgow and were playing at the emirates. 6/7 hours is ridiculous.

I wouldnt mind playing italy their not the force they once were but pirlo is still a very good player and they do have some very good players throughout their squad.

It would be nice to see one last hooraah from the so called "golden age" of english football, messrs Lampard, gerrard, ferdinand, terry. This is their last meaninful tournament before age starts to catch up, would be nice to see them win.

ReputationRep:
    People still have this thought that Italy are like the team they were in the last championships and world cup. They are nothing like that dreadful team with managers too afraid to drop their big names. Prandelli has gotten rid of almost all of the aging older players (keeping just Pirlo and Buffon). They have a very good strike force if everyone is fit by then in Cassano, Rossi, Ballotelli, Matri and Pazzini. Added with good young attacking players of Marchioso, Pepe, Osvaldo, Giovinco and Montilivo supported by the experience yet still world class Pirlo and De Rossi. Im backing Italy being dark horses behind the favorates Spain and Germany.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zander16)
    English players are seen as a premium. Andy Carroll £35million, Jordan henderson £20 million over inflated prices due to potential, which is in fact only potential a bad injury could ruin their careers and they will look like the worst buys in history. More to the point Spanish, french, German players in our league. Makes top english players even more expensive.
    It doesn't even need them to get injured for £55 million for Carroll and Henderson to look like the worst buys in history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1))
    I couldn't agree more that English players are overpriced, but they are still considered top top players. And, one would expect them to be beating teams such as the "average" France team. England's problem has consistently turning class into form. They haven't really turned up properly for a major tournament in years.
    Have you literally been watching too much Jamie Redknapp?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Have you literally been watching top much Jamie Redknapp?
    Hahaha honestly haven't seen him in ages actually :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1))
    Hahaha honestly haven't seen him in ages actually :P
    :awesome: I do miss everything being literally the most literal thing in the world :mmm: and there being top, top players above the standard tripe of just top players

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    :awesome: I do miss everything being literally the most literal thing in the world :mmm: and there being top, top players above the standard tripe of just top players
    Maybe you should send him a thesaurus for Christmas :P I hesitate to use the term world class, as England haven't really done anything "world class" in a while :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTR_10)
    Looking forward to England V France. I can see a similar game to the Germany match in Munich which we won 5-1.

At least there is no climate (think Japan/ South Korea 02 and South Africa wc2010) or culture shock for the players this time.
    Really? Where do you see the connection between the game against France and a game against different team about 10 years ago?

South africa 2010 was certainly no climate shock.

ReputationRep:
    Ireland vs. France in the quarters should they both make it, would be really exciting to watch.

In my view, the so-called big games don't end up as mouth watering as they should be. The group of death in South Africa was boring for the most part, especially that Brazil vs. Portugal game.

ReputationRep:
    A - Poland, Russia
    B - Netherlands, Germany
    C - Italy, Spain
    D - Ukraine, Sweden

Poland - Germany
    Netherlands - Russia
    Italy - Sweden
    Ukraine - Spain

Germany - Italy
    Netherlands - Spain

Germany to beat Spain this time in the final. Penalties?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Also what is the deal with Capello not changing England's training base in Krakow. From what I am aware, our squad will be commuting a good 6/7 hours to certain games the day before to train.

'We have found a really good place. I am happy with the facilities and we will stay in the same place in Krakow.'- Capello

These 'facilities' better get us through the group stages otherwise I will be fuming.
    Its only 3 games in the group to travel???

Hardly an issue in first class luxury travel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Its only 3 games in the group to travel???

Hardly an issue in first class luxury travel.
    Don't be so naive, I was also insinuating that It'll be problematic for the travelling fans (didn't think I would have to write that). There is a certain quota for the places of accomodation where those games are being held. Meaning fans will also have to travel relatively far distances. As for the players, those three games will be the difference between us being knocked out or progressing in the competition. I think that last thing we want is little things like travelling to affect our players performance on the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be so naive, I was also insinuating that It'll be problematic for the travelling fans (didn't think I would have to write that). There is a certain quota for the places of accomodation where those games are being held. Meaning fans will also have to travel relatively far distances. As for the players, those three games will be the difference between us being knocked out or progressing in the competition. I think that last thing we want is little things like travelling to affect our players performance on the pitch.
    There's absolutely no reason why fans would need to be near the england base in Krakow.

Very nice city it is though I can see why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    There's absolutely no reason why fans would need to be near the england base in Krakow.

Very nice city it is though I can see why
    I know, however, fans might be forced to stay in places quite a distance from Donetsk and Kyiv due to places nearer being completely booked.

PS- Have you been to Krakow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    People still have this thought that Italy are like the team they were in the last championships and world cup. They are nothing like that dreadful team with managers too afraid to drop their big names. Prandelli has gotten rid of almost all of the aging older players (keeping just Pirlo and Buffon). They have a very good strike force if everyone is fit by then in Cassano, Rossi, Ballotelli, Matri and Pazzini. Added with good young attacking players of Marchioso, Pepe, Osvaldo, Giovinco and Montilivo supported by the experience yet still world class Pirlo and De Rossi. Im backing Italy being dark horses behind the favorates Spain and Germany.
    Mmm, I've heard so many people giving the same 'Ooh they're an aging team, the players are past it" spiel they were making during the WC, but it's not the same team. Ireland did beat them in a friendly in June though

ReputationRep:
    I know, however, fans might be forced to stay in places quite a distance from Donetsk and Kyiv due to places nearer being completely booked.

PS- Have you been to Krakow?
    Yes..

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.